Profile for andrew phillips > Reviews

Liverpool FC 2013/14 Season In Review: Poetry In Motion
Liverpool FC 2013/14 Season In Review: Poetry In Motion
by Karl Matchett

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but too brief., 23 Jun. 2014
When I bought this I thought that it would be an in-depth analysis of the season. I was a bit disappointed. I wanted to really read about a fair few of the goals we scored and feel that emotion again. Maybe if this book had been published in a couple of months time then more analysis could have been included. Perhaps a sprinkling of individual fans accounts of games akin to say a - 'I was there', feature? However it was a good read and I devoured it in about 2 hours max!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 1, 2014 10:23 AM BST

Like I Say: The Story of the 2012-13 Season
Like I Say: The Story of the 2012-13 Season
by David E Usher

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good review from a true fans perspective., 23 Jun. 2014
I liked the fact that it was an honest, up-front account. I bought it as the reds were on that 11 game run and just thirsted for info on Lewy, Brendan and the rest of the boys in red. One of the most telling points which the author repeated more than once was that we needed another striker to support Lewy and lo and behold - Sturro arrived, as though right on que. Thought that at times the author went off track a tad. Would have loved more in-depth match reporting but then the book may have been twice the size! However the author hits the button as to how I was feeling when I heard, saw the matches. Maybe JUST CONCENTRATE on Liverpool in his next book and very briefly skim over events elsewhere. For me it's Liverpool,Liverpool and Liverpool again!! Perhaps next time too the author could have season biographies of the players and also a results chart with scorers for every game - especially with 13/14 - just to illustrate how fab we were. Look forward to reading it, if its in the pipeline..

Liverpool Encyclopedia, The
Liverpool Encyclopedia, The
by Arnie Baldursson

5.0 out of 5 stars sup-erb!!, 28 Nov. 2013
over the years i have collected many Liverpool books but this one is right up there and on a par with the best of them. When I bought the record book I thought to myself, where are the individual records on the fantastic players we've had for the last 100 plus years?? Well, this book has more than made-up for any shortfall the other book may have had, and then some and some more!! The few biographies I have read so far have contained stories I've not heard or read before. I like the pre and post reds history and it is bang up to date as well. Not only that, the illustrations are superb and there are photo's in there that i've never seen before. What I also liked are the features on the songs, for that is one thing about going to the match, listening to and trying to sing them, especially when the book tells the tale of one of my favs, 'Every Other Saturday', I could not help but sing it, as I have done in the Park with Dean, Andy and Davie (and all the other lads!), the words just boombed off the page!! I was thinking, I would love it if the authors published a book of match reports/seasons even, throughout the years, and bring even more games alive in our very long, proud, history - I for one would buy it..