Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for samuel clemens > Reviews

Content by samuel clemens

samuel clemens "literogen" (london)

The Color of Secrets
The Color of Secrets

2.0 out of 5 stars I really liked the beginning of this book - the inter racial ..., 10 May 2016
I really liked the beginning of this book - the inter racial relationship and all its problems. But then, from the middle, the book morphs into a catalogue of abuse - without giving the character a chance to fight back. Disclosure - I am a man. It stretches credulity in this book that every single abusive character is a man, save the father figure. I half expected him to turn abusive halfway through as well. I wanted to like this book. But it seemed to me the author has a point to make - that men in general are either abusive to women, or choose to break up relationships. Neither of these is true.

Go Away Home
Go Away Home

4.0 out of 5 stars I did not think I would like it that much, 10 May 2016
This review is from: Go Away Home (Kindle Edition)
This was a lovely parable about a young woman growing up in early twentieth century middle America. I did not think I would like it that much, but I was mistaken. I gave it 4 stars as the middle is too long, it could be shorter.

Come Away With Me (With Me In Seattle Book 1)
Come Away With Me (With Me In Seattle Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Empty, 15 Sept. 2015
No plot. Girl meets boy conflict resolved in 1 page then just sex. Guess that's enough for some. Read the Kama sutra instead. More happening.

The Atlantis Gene: A Thriller (The Origin Mystery, Book 1)
The Atlantis Gene: A Thriller (The Origin Mystery, Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars good but longwinded, 12 Nov. 2013
Good for a first effort - but the author kept the reader waiting for too long. Jakarta never came to life for me - has the author ever been there ? Neither did Tibet/China - globe hopping is popular these days for thriller writers, but detail is needed to make it realistic. Also the length - too long for the secret to be revealed. Would have been better is less rambling and more compact, therefore more cogent.

Pookins of Beauchamp Road (The Adventures of Pookins Book 1)
Pookins of Beauchamp Road (The Adventures of Pookins Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful children`s tale, 12 Nov. 2013
If you want to read to your child and gently lull them to sleep then there is no better tale than this. But it can be enjoyed on many levels - as an educational aid for a child aged 3-5, and also as an adventure story for an older child. I found it reminiscent of the cat my neighbour had and how it used to go wandering around picking up friends.....this book is a definite read for lovers of childrens stories.

The Murder Of Princess Diana
The Murder Of Princess Diana

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 July 2012
Good background and then excellent coverage of the actual event. Would have been better if the author had revealed his sources. An excellent book. Answers many questions. And still hardly known in the uk. Why ? Read the book and you will realize. Also watch the film unlawful killing which for some odd reason can only be shown in the uk after 87 cuts. Again...why ? We pay £32 million a year to maintain the royal family. Surely we deserve to know the truth about Diana s death ?
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 15, 2015 4:14 PM GMT

Paul Wilmott Introduces Quantitative Finance
Paul Wilmott Introduces Quantitative Finance
by Paul Wilmott

2.0 out of 5 stars luke warm, 2 Mar. 2008
I did not have a maths/physics background, so I read this book. Beware - by the time you get to stochastic processes you might be hopelessly lost. This book is great for maths undergrads who have not done any maths for years. For those with a non maths background, stochastics will be hard to understand from this book. More explanation is needed.
Expectancy is treated in a basic fashion - fair enough - but then it is hard to understand it when it keeps surfacing later.

Therefore it depends on your background. Interactive classes will always be important. I look forward to reading Neftci and then coming back to this and moving on to Hull.