Profile for NICK M. > Reviews

NICK M. (UK)

Early
Early

5.0 out of 5 stars Gems unearthed at last., 29 July 2006
This review is from: Early (Audio CD)
As an owner of the original vinyl of these songs I was suprised that they had made it out into the light after all these years. I bought this album to save me the grief of getting my dusty record player out of the cupboard and i'm glad I did! To anyone who has not heard these tracks before I would say this........these are some of Green's first recordings and as such yes they are slightly experimental/amateurish and rough round the edges. The later tracks are much more musically accomplished (sweetest girl, faithless) BUT, listen carefully and you will find interesting lyrics, catchy tunes and raw passion that is rare these days. The sound is unique, although influences can be identified, yet even 25 years after their initial release they don't sound dated! Green's sleevenotes describe the songs as slightly "winceworthy" but let's face it, no true artist loves their own work!

White Bread, Black Beer
White Bread, Black Beer
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return., 29 July 2006
This review is from: White Bread, Black Beer (Audio CD)
As a fan of Scritti's earlier work, I was worried that a trip down memory lane might be unwise. To my relief, what I found was Green's best work since Cupid. It sounds contemporary yet nods to The Beatles/Simon & Garfunkel/ and The Beachboys at the same time. Thankfully Green has not hidden his voice behind the, at times, obsessive, over-production of Provision. Instead he has had the confidence to write, sing, play and home-produce this beautiful collection of intelligent songs. Within a couple of plays, I guarantee you will find yourself humming these tunes!