Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for Midsummer > Reviews

Content by Midsummer

Midsummer "danuta"

Kindle E-reader, 6" Glare-Free Touchscreen Display, Wi-Fi (Black) - Includes Special Offers (Previous generation - 7th)

4.0 out of 5 stars I will always love printed books, 6 May 2015
I will always love printed books, but recently discovered there are thousands of free books in the public domain by classic authors such as Dickens, Austen etc as well as cheap collections of writings (eg the complete works of LM Montgomery for £1.99) and I wanted to get my hands on them.
I just couldn't get on with tablets, but the Kindle is ideal, lightweight and easy to use and my reading has become wonderfully eclectic as I discover more and more wonders in the public domain.
I now have around 55 books on my kindle for which I have paid around £4 in total which is amazing.
The only downside on the Kindle is that the top menu can take several taps/rubs before it works and the naff adverts that appear for books when I close it. They bear no relation to the kind of books I read, so their presence is an irritation.
Even though I will never stop buying printed books, I can't imagine myself ever being without a Kindle now too.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 7, 2015 1:17 AM BST

Ceylon Black Tea - 150g loose leaf - Imported Direct
Ceylon Black Tea - 150g loose leaf - Imported Direct
Offered by Real Rooibos Tea Company

5.0 out of 5 stars ... so I had to go online and I'm really pleased I did, 6 May 2015
It's difficult to get loose leaf Ceylon tea in supermarkets so I had to go online and I'm really pleased I did. This is a top-notch quality delicious tea, which I will definitely be buying again. The only downside is that it's not organic. I hope this company will stock an organic version soon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2016 11:56 PM BST

Gentle Cleanse & Make-up Remover
Gentle Cleanse & Make-up Remover
Offered by TradePlus

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant quality and very effective, 21 May 2013
I was looking for a cheaper ethical alternative to the famous hot cloth cleanser range and tried several products before finding the Green People one. I can't praise it highly enough, it's gentle on the skin, doesn't make eyes sting and gets rid of all make-up including waterproof mascara. It's also considerably cheaper than the famous hot cloth cleanser, the ingredients are organic and it's not tested on animals. What's not to love about that? This product deserves a much wider audience. Highly recommended.

SnuggleSafe Microwave Wireless Heatpad with Fleece Cover (colour may vary)
SnuggleSafe Microwave Wireless Heatpad with Fleece Cover (colour may vary)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 29 Nov. 2012
I had to return this item as I took it out of the microwave and it scalded me (I made sure the microwave was set to the recommended power) The pad is also rock hard, which can't make for a very comfortable night's sleep.

Leave it to Psmith
Leave it to Psmith
by P.G. Wodehouse

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but..., 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Leave it to Psmith (Paperback)
Once you've read a few Blandings novels they start to become quite repetitive. You can't fault PG Wodehouse's wit or homour, but there only seems to be one plot to go around all the novels I've read so far, which is a bit disappointing.

A Traveller in Time
A Traveller in Time
by Alison Uttley

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written book, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: A Traveller in Time (Paperback)
I have little to add to the other reviews, but just wanted to put my hand up and say what a brilliant book this is. The characters and setting are beautifully evoked and you can almost imagine yourself there with the heroine Penelope.

This book deserves a much wider audience and to be recognised for the classic and national treasure that it is. I'm only sorry that Alison Uttley didn't write more. What an amazing talent.

How to Run Your Home without Help
How to Run Your Home without Help
by Kay Smallshaw

1.0 out of 5 stars Really poor condition, 28 Sept. 2011
I ordered this book twice and sent it back twice. I wanted it as a present for my god-daughter who was setting up home for the first time, but both copies were grubby and stained and the covers were very tatty.

No idea if the content is any good as I didn't get that far.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2014 7:47 PM GMT

Lady Rose and Mrs Memmary
Lady Rose and Mrs Memmary
by Ruby Ferguson

2.0 out of 5 stars Old fashioned and a bit cringeworthy, 28 Sept. 2011
This is a very old-fashioned book, I can't imagine it being published today or being successful. It's an odd addition to the Persephone stable and I felt a bit cheated because I would have expected something better from this publisher.

Apparently this book was a great favourite of the Queen Mother, which doesn't surprise me. This is a novel that would appeal to a specific social class during a specific time period.

It's a thin story without much in the way of plot or character development. If you're curious about it, borrow it from the library or try to find a very cheap second hand edition. It's certainly not worth £12.

Daisy: The life and loves of the Countess of Warwick: The Lives and Loves of the Countess of Warwick
by Sushila Anand

3.0 out of 5 stars Questions unanswered, 28 Dec. 2010
This is an enjoyable read about a fascinating woman. A socialist aristocrat with the morals of an alley cat, you couldn't make it up.

However, I also had questions about her liasons - especially with Joe Laycock - one minute the author says he's snubbing Daisy, then she's writing to him. I appreciate their relationship was a tempestuous one, but the lack of detailed explanation left me scratching my head as to what the situation was.

I also felt the lack of any information about "Brookie" and where he was and what he thought about all her affairs. Also, why was he not held liable for her debts? It's all very confusing.

The author also seemed to assume the reader had a detailed knowledge of African politics with regard to the Boer War.

This lack of information and/or research mars what would otherwise have been a very good book.