Profile for bob > Reviews

Content by bob

bob

Page: 1 | 2
PS4 Gaming Headphone,SADES SA-920 Stereo Gaming Over-Ear Headphone Headset Headband with Microphone for PlayStation4 PS4 Xbox 360 PC Mac iPhone Smart phone(Blue)
Offered by yao wei ke ji

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 12 July 2016
These headphones are a great value for money, the mic is great for taliking to friends & with an inline volume and mic control it has all the features a good set of headphones should have. It's great an for this money you are not gonna find a better pair but as with everything there are cons. Firstly the headphones seem slightly to heavy and are a bit too bulky but, again, this is the best for the price and if you need a cheap set of headphones this is what you should get.

A2 Philosophy: Revision Guide (Religious Studies)
A2 Philosophy: Revision Guide (Religious Studies)
by Brian Poxon

2.0 out of 5 stars Great For AS, Not Great For A2, 4 April 2014
I feel bad posting this review because the author's website (philosophicalinvestigations) is a great free resource, and he seems like a nice guy.

I used these revision guides for AS last year and really liked them. Unfortunately, this year, they're not great. The level of detail is not sufficient for A2, and there's a lot of mention of relatively unknown philosophers (I've never seen Ahluwalia mentioned anywhere before) at the expense of more well known ones.

My advice would be to get a proper textbook for RS and make your own shorter notes, because this book doesn't explain the concepts that well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2014 3:40 PM GMT

OCR Religious Ethics for AS and A2
OCR Religious Ethics for AS and A2
by Jill Oliphant

4.0 out of 5 stars Necessary For A2, 4 April 2014
I found that with AS, I could get away with using the tiny white Peter Baron revision guides because you're not expected to know as much detail, and the concepts are a bit easier. This year however, the concepts have become a lot more complex and I need a proper textbook to understand them. Everything is well explained, and there are a lot of philosophers mentioned.

Unfortunately, there is a big disparity between different sections. For example, the 'environment and business' section is absolutely top notch, it's thorough, and there are lots of long extracts from various essays/books from famous philosophers. This means that you can talk about these essays and books in the exam as if you've actually read them and hopefully score some extra marks.
But I found the 'free will and determinism' section very weak. Kant's views on free will are quite complex, and require a through explanation to understand them. This book did not offer this explanation— instead, the page on him was disjointed and didn't really explain his theory very well. The further reading section also only contained three suggestions, with two of them being full books, and one being an essay. As a student with a limit on the time and money I can spend on further reading, I appreciate shorter essays which are freely available online, as opposed to huge books. For anyone doing A2 ethics, Sam Harris's 'Free Will' is a good, short read (60 pages) on hard determinism.

I would still highly recommend this book, and just wish that they also did one for AS/A2 philosophy.

Klipsch Image X10i Noise Isolating In-Ear Headset with 3-Button Mic for iPhone / iPod - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars I Had £100 To Find The Perfect Earphones, 22 Mar. 2014
Disclaimer: I'm no audiophile—just someone who uses a lot of public transport.

These were the ones I tried:
Shure SE215
Etymotic HF5s
Klipsch Image X10i

The Shures weren't really that impressive—the sound was good but not great, the isolation was good, but I found them very uncomfortable and a pain to put into my hears. You have to wrap them around your ears and spend ages trying to get a good fit. They weren't worth £100 in my opinion

The Etymotics had great sound, great isolation put they are big and in-ear, so they do get uncomfortable quite quickly. I also found that if I chew with them on, they fall out.

The Klipsch have great sound, great isolation (it's scary how little you can hear) and they're very comfortable since they're so small. My only complaints are that they do struggle with cable noise (the sound made when the cable rubs against your clothes) and the cable/jack seem very cheaply made. I could imagine these breaking in a few months. But so far they're brilliant.

Get into Medical School - Write the perfect personal statement. Effective techniques & over 100 examples of real successful personal statements (UCAS Medicine)
by Olivier Picard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Examples, 18 Feb. 2014
I felt like some of the advice in this book was a bit outdated, and non-specific. It didn't really delve into detail about the PS different medical schools like. For example, a PS for Cambridge should typically be more academic, than one for somewhere like Manchester which should be a bit more about communication/empathy etc.

But the examples in this book are golden for helping you to write your own. Sometimes I'd just hit mental blocks when writing mine, but reading though some examples in here was really helpful. Don't get discouraged though! Most of the examples in here are exceptional!

This is a must-have for any medic!

A2-Level Biology for AQA: Student Book
A2-Level Biology for AQA: Student Book
by CGP Books

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 18 Feb. 2014
I used CGP's little revision guide for all of AS and always did reasonably well. But I could never break the A* barrier (253/300UMS last year). I bought this book after I asked a friend who scored 297/300UMS what his secret was and he told me about this book.

It's comprehensive, laid out very well and explains everything. I'll often find that I'll sit through a lesson not understanding much, but when I sit down and read the relevant chapter in this book later on, everything becomes clear. I can't recommend this book enough; it's in a league of its own. There are also a tonne of questions at the end of each chapter, and some exam technique stuff.

Update: I'm still liking the book, but there's nothing substantial on stats test which is essential for the EMPA/ISA.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars indurable, 3 Feb. 2014
It was terrible, for starters it was way to small to look like an actual gun and it broke in 2 weeks

Superman Retro Style Shoulder / Sports Bag
Superman Retro Style Shoulder / Sports Bag
Offered by Gadget Grotto

3.0 out of 5 stars Its decent, 3 Feb. 2014
Since my previous bag ripped I decided to get a new bag and this does a decent job but nothing special

Red Dead Redemption - Game of The Year Edition (PS3)
Red Dead Redemption - Game of The Year Edition (PS3)
Offered by EVERGAME

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing game, 3 Feb. 2014
with the new consoles i decided to pick up some games that i really wanted to play and never got the chance to. I decided that I wanted to get it cheap and that meant going to zoverstock and within a week it came.

IVSO® iPad Mini Bluetooth Keyboard Portfolio Case - DETACHABLE Bluetooth Keyboard Stand Case / Cover for Apple iPad Mini (Black)

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid This Case And Seller Like The Plague, 29 Dec. 2012
Like many of you, I saw this case, and thought that it was very cheap considering that it's a keyboard and leather case.
Unfortunately the pricing really is too good to be true:
1. The case doesn't fit the iPad Mini properly, and so it's very hard to tap the bottom part of the screen (near the edge).
2. The leather is cheap and peeling.
3. The keyboard misses keystrokes
4. The case has this cheap piece of silver plastic on it, and it sticks out and is jagged.

There was also a little surprise inside the box it shipped in. There was a printed transcript of the emails between a previous buyer of the case, and the seller (Gambolex). After reading it, it became clear that the previous seller had contacted the seller about the case being defective, and the seller had given her my address, and told her to 'return' it to my address. So it turns out, that instead of buying a new product, I bought a defective old return.

When I contacted the seller, they said that they check all of their products for defects before shipping...
An appalling seller, and a bad case, avoid it.

Page: 1 | 2