Profile for TJH > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Raiken Apparel Flex Fleece Full Zip Hoody Hooded Top Mens Size L - Choclate
Raiken Apparel Flex Fleece Full Zip Hoody Hooded Top Mens Size L - Choclate

2.0 out of 5 stars Shrinks, 14 April 2015
Seems to have shrunk a bit after a couple of washes and now I'm not really wearing it. It wasn't quite big enough anyway when I got it but now it's just way too short

D'Addario EXL117 med top ex heavy bottom 11-56 electric guitar strings (2 PACKS)
Offered by Strings Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 7 Jan. 2015
Always use these (or 10-52s depending on tuning) and have done for about 15 years. Great strings.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Good deal, 7 Jan. 2015
Bought for my sister as a xmas present and she loves them as they were cheap but very useful

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox 360)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Must be better on new gen but it's still fun slaughtering orcs by the hundreds, 7 Jan. 2015
Firstly I have to acknowledge some of the poor reviews on here as to be honest, I was a bit disappointed when I first booted the game up. It is the first game that has made me wish I owned a new gen console because I can tell that the whole experience would be better if I did. The textures are awful at times and there is a lot of pop-up, graphical flickering, textures not rendering, general muddiness and the cutscenes look like a pirate copy of a proper release.
I have not noticed any issues with sound (maybe once but only a brief dropout of maybe one second) and the loading times are not unbearable, especially if you are used to playing games like Skyrim where loading happens a lot. They are a little frustrating, but more because I know that it probably would be much more fluid if I were playing this on new gen.
However, even with all that, this game is great fun and I haven't stopped playing it every available minute since picking it up 5 days ago. It's not the most original game, nor the best I've played this year, but it's definitely a lot of a fun and quite addictive as once you start getting the hang of how it works it's awesome just running about slaughtering orcs and trying to get to all the captains.
Contrary to other reviews I've seen, I do find it rather easy. I struggled a bit at first but once you get most of the abilities and a bunch of runes you can just fly through the game without much trouble which I find a bit of a shame as I'd rather get more of a challenge out of it. To be fair I've been doing mostly side quests so maybe it gets harder when you do more of the story (I'm about 50% through). Part of it is the fact that the enemies are easy to kill, even the toughest captains once you're levelled, but they're also really stupid and don't have much to hurt you with. The game is fairly similar to Assassins Creed in many ways, except the enemies in that were able to climb and run after you, as well as being able to spot you quite easily and call for help. In this I find you can just run through hordes of orcs, stealth killing most of them before the others even notice and by the time they do notice you you're already on top of a building. Once you're up on top of a building they seem to just forget about you and say things like 'he must have gone'. Having said all that, it's really fun to kill them though as they're all so ugly and stupid you just want to rid your tv of as many of them as possible!
One other criticism I would make is the lack of depth with the weaponry and upgrades. You start with all your 3 weapons and cannot upgrade them exactly, but rather give yourself perks that you attach to the weapons. These affect

Basically, if you have a new gen console then don't even consider buying the game on 360 or PS3 (why would you anyway?!) but if like me, you can't afford one yet and didn't think you really needed one yet, be wary of a bit of disappointment with the visuals for this game, but don't let it put you off entirely from what is a very fun action/stealth game that has some cool ideas in it. It might not blow you away but there's a lot of fun to be had. If I were playing on new gen I could very possibly be giving this game 4 or a low 5 stars, but on 360 it's gotta be a 3 really for all my criticisms and the shoddiness of the visuals for a lot of the game.

Jim Dunlop 47PXLS Stiffo XL Jazz Pick - Black (Pack of 6)
Jim Dunlop 47PXLS Stiffo XL Jazz Pick - Black (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best picks I've found so far, 6 Feb. 2014
I've been using these ever since Guthrie Govan told me to personally. If you don't know him, check him on youtube and see if he knows what he's talking about.

Not so good for acoustic/light strumming however. You would want something more bendy. But for everything else they're the best.

Entourage - Complete Season 1-8 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Entourage - Complete Season 1-8 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Adrian Grenier
Offered by A2ZSupplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome show, great box set, 6 Feb. 2014
Not much to say really, if you like the show then what could be better than binge watching it all in the space of a few weeks in full HD on blue ray?!

Do it.

Only complaint is that I don't really care about commentaries and that's all the extras are really, but I wouldn't have minded some interviews or behind the scenes making of type stuff for extras.

UPDATE: 1 person rated this as not a useful review, but what do they want to know exactly? It all works, great condition (it was new!), no complaints. I'm not going to give a review of the show itself as I would imagine people reading this have seen it before and know what it's about. This is a great product.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection
Offered by VGP_VideoGamesPlus

4.0 out of 5 stars Thy Next Foe Is..., 6 Feb. 2014
This is mainly a review of Shadow of the Colossus, as I tried Ico for a little bit but found it a bit dull to be honest and I had bought the disc for SOTC anyway so I’ve spent my time with that.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone looking for something a bit different to the norm. Even if you only buy it for SOTC like me, I would say it’s well worth it.

I know this is not a new game, it’s about 9 years old now, and I did play it a little when it was first released on PS2 though I didn’t finish it. So when it was rereleased for PS3 a while ago it was on my list of games to play. Recently I got it and I’m so glad I did.

Despite its age, the game plays great (mostly) and looks beautiful. There is a little graphic pop-up here and there but compared with many current gen games (I’m talking PS3/360 as I haven’t made the step up yet) it feels very tight and impressive visually, especially in 3D. I would definitely recommend playing in 3D if you have the capability as it makes the battles that much more immersive and improves the look of the slightly dated graphics.

I really don’t want to say too much about what you actually do in the game, as a lot of the enjoyment of the game is the unknown of what you’re about to do, though I suppose a review should mention something about the aim of the game if you don’t already know.

You are a boy armed with a sword and a bow and arrow. You have a horse called Agro. You end up in a strange land where a strange voice talks to you and tells you that to try to save the soul of your lifeless female companion you must seek out and destroy 16 Colossi.

So on you go to find them one at a time by riding around the vast and lonely landscape on your horse and using the sunlight reflecting off your sword to locate them. When you find them each one is different and you must use various tactics and varying degrees of skill to take them down.

The gameplay is quite simple, involving some platforming, some shooting with a bow, some puzzle solving and some well-timed jumps from the environment or your horse to get onto each Colossi and find their vital points where you stab with your sword whilst trying not to get thrown off or killed in the process.

After each fight you get a bit stronger (which can also be sped up by finding some items in the world though this isn’t really necessary in my experience) and gain more health and stamina for the next fight. It gets progressively more challenging as you would expect, but not always in the way you would expect. Some fights you are much more likely to die, whereas others simply require more thought to complete.

It may not sound like much but the atmosphere of the game, built up by the incredible classical score and varying surroundings, is so good and some of the battles so epic that this is well worth your time if you’re looking for something different.

There are some negatives to mention unfortunately as other reviews have already mentioned, some a little harshly I feel but still, there are a few complaints worth mentioning.

The controls can be a little frustrating at times. Most likely because of the age and the fact that the game was designed on the PS2. It never reaches the point of being unplayable, and for me it only mildly frustrates, and doesn’t diminish the overall experience too much. However it must be said that horse control is a little dodgy and you will find yourself galloping into trees and walls occasionally, but most of the time when riding the horse, you are in huge open areas so this isn’t too much of a problem. Also the AI for the horse is good enough that it will never make you jump off a cliff and die.

The main point of frustration for me has been trying to get onto the horse as it is the same button for jump and you have to be in just the right position next to the horse to initiate the climbing action. I feel they should have changed the button or just made the area around the horse a bit bigger to know when you want to do this as mid battle there are times when you need to do it quickly but you find yourself jumping a few times before managing to get back in the saddle.

Another minor gripe is the camera. You can control it’s movement to a degree but it does auto align depending on where you are in the action. Sometimes it seems to choose an annoying angle but so far it hasn’t caused me any problems with playing the game and has actually added to the tension in a strange way sometimes. I do feel they could have left it more up to the player but many games have this issue and I don’t think it’s just due to the age in this case.

One last negative comment I would mention is that there is not a great amount of replay value, though this remastered version does include a hard mode and timed mode. I’ve not tried these yet but I’m not sure how worth it they will be. I imagine I would try a second playthrough on hard at some point but half of the enjoyment/challenge is figuring out how to tackle each enemy, rather than it actually being that difficult to do so. However one play though (which takes between 10-12 hours) is well worth it anyway.

These small issues do not take away from the overall experience which for me has been a very refreshing one, despite the fact that this is an old game. I’ve played many other current gen games that have not impressed me as much as this, especially with the 3D turned on.

A true classic and unlike any other game I’ve ever played.

As this disc does contain two games I can't really give a 5 star rating, though I believe I would for SOTC alone, or more likely a 9/10. I just haven't been too bothered to continue playing ICO so I've got to drop at least a star for that.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Online is still fun, 22 Nov. 2013
I actually like this game. Not too bothered with the campaign, it's not bad, not brilliant, just more of the same really. I'm about half way through it, playing a mission or two here and there, usually when I'm too tired to play multiplayer and keep up with the pace!

I don't really get people who are complaining about it unless they didn't enjoy the previous games, or maybe they liked a particular mode that has now been gotten rid of.
There have been some changes to the way multiplayer works, and on first attempt I found it pretty confusing (there are actually still a couple of things I haven't bothered to look into yet like Squads) but after a few hours (I'm about level 15 now) it's starting to make more sense and I'm mostly really enjoying it.

The maps are pretty cool I think. Lots of reviews said that the maps were much bigger and in fact too big but to me they seem pretty much the same as always, though there aren't any that are as small as say Rust from MW2. Maybe it's because I've played more BF3 than COD in the past 2 years and these maps are still tiny in comparison to most of those, but I really don't think the area of any of these maps is any bigger than some of the older maps from MW2 and Blops. The thing that makes them feel bigger however is the fact that many of them have multiple paths running over each other. This does mean that you have more options of which way to go and places that enemies can approach from. Sometimes this is good sometimes less so I would say, but on the whole they just seem like typical COD maps with some destructible scenery and objects that can be interacted with.

The most different map has got to be Chasm (I think that's the name anyway) which is basically a collapsed city and buildings. Hardly any of the paths are flat and level, so it's quite disorienting running and aiming diagonally with enemies appearing from all sides and all angles. It's not my favourite map but it feels pretty different to anything else in COD. Another is Stonehaven. It's a natural landscape with a part of a castle and a lot of stone walls and ditches in the middle, with some small buildings on the other end. It's a pretty fun map and just looks a lot different to other COD maps. Sovereign is a hard map with many angles to die from but it looks awesome and I've had a few fun hectic battles in there.
There's a couple of maps I still haven't played more than once or twice so I can't really comment on all of them but I've been enjoying the smaller ones and the bigger ones too.

The class system has been changed quite a bit but really it's just an extension of what they did on Black Ops 1&2. They've taken the currency system (but called it squad points), and the fact that you can customise your class, and made it so you can basically make a class using exactly what you want. My class consists of one main weapon with 3 attachments and about 7 perks which suits me more than using tactical grenades and a pistol, as I'm not the best player so I usually die before running out of ammo or just pick up someone else's weapon if need be. There are basically all the perks they have ever had in COD multiplayer and you can use any, once you've unlocked or bought them, with any others and choose how much extra gear you want to carry.

I like this system as it means you don't need to use anything you don't want, and you can just spend all you points on the class of weapons or perks you fancy rather than having to wait until your almost prestige level to use a particular gun, only to prestige and have to wait again!

One problem that many reviewers have mentioned that I have also noticed is that the spawning is a bit dodgy and can be pretty harsh at times. Maybe this is due to the (slightly) larger on average maps, and the fact that teams can end being quite spread out over the course of a round. Basically there are times when you spawn and enemies are a bit too close to you, or approaching your position, when usually it would put you on the side closest to the majority of your team mates. However I haven't found it to be so bad that I don't want to play. As is usually the case in these games, if you play badly you will die a lot. For me it's just getting to know the maps, which can take some time, but once you know the map then you will know where you are when you spawn and can surmise where the opposition might be.

The graphics are great in the game. Not the best ever or anything but it's all so smooth and bug free (probably not completely but I've not noticed anything) and exactly what you would expect from a COD game with some more futuristic elements to the presentation.

I was never that into the Zombie modes of the Treyarch games, and the alien extinction mode on here doesn't interest me at all either. I had a go on my own and played 5mins before going back to multiplayer, though maybe it would be more fun with a mate or two.

On the whole I would say that if you like COD you will get at least a bit of enjoyment out of this game. I doubt I'll still be playing it in a year's time, but then only MW2 had me playing over a year after it was released and it's the only other COD game I still own. This one is not as good but the online is still fun and pretty addictive.

With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness
With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness

4.0 out of 5 stars I actually love this album, 4 Oct. 2013
I only give it 4 stars because of the production which is a bit of a let down if you've heard Slaughter of the Soul first. But I still find all the playing and music really interesting. There are so many cool time changes and parts of beautiful dissonance. It sounds really desperate in places and really makes me feel something that I don't get from any other albums. Personally I never really got on with their first album and Terminal Spirit Disease is just a bit short without many interesting parts in the songs. Slaughter of the Soul is without doubt their best album as it has no filler, great production and basically spawned a new genre, but this album is still worth your time if you can get past the sound. For me that took about 10 listens but now I've been listening to it for years and I really do enjoy it.

Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)
Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, not a classic but worth a go, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Far Cry 3 (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
I didn't play the first two games but as this got many good/great reviews I thought I'd give it a go and I just finished it last night.

I can't comment on whether it's better than its predecessors, or what the differences are but this has been covered in other reviews on here anyway so I'll just let you know my impressions.

Pros:

- Big open world with plenty to do to keep you busy for much longer than the story lasts.
- This is a game where some really unexpected things can happen - sneaking up on a guard only to be attacked by a tiger doesn't usually happen in games!
- Decent choice of weapons
- Driving is great fun. Not too realistic, not too gamey. Just great fun.
- Decent choice of gameplay options. You're never forced to be stealthy but it is encouraged. I played half stealth, half guns blazing. There are also lots of side missions and challenges to do that involve hunting, driving, killing enemies with a given weapon, or killing a specific enemy.
- Hunting is good fun and reasonably challenging to start with. I really enjoyed tracking deer and tigers trying not to be seen and picking them off with the bow.
- Engaging story, if a little OTT and cheesy at times.
- Really nice looking environment and good graphics. Facial animations are really good.

Cons:

- Generally quite easy, even on hard. Everything from treasure to items and animals to hunt is shown on the map! This takes a lot of the challenge out of it, though I suppose you could try not to look at it!
- After a while, even though the map is big, it does get a bit repetitive as there are a limited number of enemies and most of their camps are very similar.
- Hunting is good but after a little while there's really no point to keep doing it as it doesn't take long to craft all the ammo pouches, wallets etc and after that there's no need to hunt.
- Similar could be said for currency in the game. You unlock all the weapons eventually anyway so there's not much need to buy any of them, and there isn't much else to buy! I didn't even bother with most of the weapons as the 4 star ones were all easily good enough to take out the enemies who generally are not too tough and you can `takedown' all of them anyway if you're sneaky. All I ever bought was ammo.
- Without spoiling the story I would just say that it was pretty good but a bit immature at times and seemed to be aimed at teens, however some of the content in the game (taking drugs, talking about slavery and sex with prostitutes) was aimed at the over 18 market. So I think they could have chosen who they were really aiming for a bit better.
- The skills were ok but not a huge incentive to unlock them all as they did help but I was managing fine without most of them.
- Not enough landmarks on the map so although it looks great, it's quite samey and I wouldn't know one part from any other even after completing the game!
- Menus are quite poorly designed IMO. I was constantly going in and out of it to change the syringes I had on me and craft new ones and it became a chore.

I did enjoy the game and was taking my time at first until I realised that a lot of the game was quite samey and not that hard, at which point I just blasted through the rest of the story. It even seemed to let me off a few times where I would reach a checkpoint but at the same time whichever companion was with me at the time would die. In most games I would expect to have to do it again but not here, they just let you carry on from the new checkpoint which seemed rather generous!

I really think this game could have been a classic if they added a bit more depth and difficulty. Like being able to craft a syringe that makes an animal follow you for a while and attack enemies. Or putting the weapons you can unlock in enemy camps so you actually have a reason to go and take all of the outposts other than just another box of $14 and traffic cone! Or skills that have some positive effects and some negative to give you a bit of a choice to make rather than just taking all of them because you can. And why they put all of the loot and animals on the map for you to easily find I really don't know.

In summary, if you play this game you will definitely have fun, it's got a lot to offer and the story alone takes about 12 hours or so to finish. I didn't do everything but you could probably put in around 30-40 hours to do everything, and even just driving about doing not much is pretty good fun.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4