Profile for Stormdog > Reviews

You Are Awesome: 21 Crafts to Make You Happy
You Are Awesome: 21 Crafts to Make You Happy
by Abbey Hendrickson

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 17 Oct. 2012
So sweet. My wife is a fan of Abbey Hendrickson's blog, and I bought her this book for her birthday. She loved it. The crafts are gorgeous, and my 5 year old was pretty excited too - I think she's getting a door banner for christmas. Nice packaging - great gift book.

The Bike-Owner's Handbook
The Bike-Owner's Handbook
by Peter Drinkell

5.0 out of 5 stars great for urban cyclists, 18 May 2012
A lot of my friends seem to instinctively know how to take a bike apart and put it back together in ten minutes flat. I don't. But I do love my bike. It cost me a small fortune and I ride it every day. I bought this on a whim, and I'm really hoping it's going to revolutionise the way I ride. It's the first repair manual I've seen that really illustrates what exactly you need to do to fix the basics - punctures, maintenance - that kind of thing. Great illustrations and clear explanations. It even has QR codes that apparently link to videos of the repairs (I don't know this for certain, as I'm as crap with my phone as I am with my bike). It's nicely packaged too - that blue stripe on the cover is an elastic band a la Moleskine. I'm impressed. Definitely worth the money.

Sennheiser HD 201 Closed Dynamic Stereo headphones for Studio, Performance Live and Djs - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Value for money, 8 Jan. 2012
Incredible value for about the 12 quid I paid. Unbelievably good in fact. I bought some expensive noise cancelling Bluetooth Sennhesiers for the office. But to be honest the difference is marginal and these are so COMFORTABLE. How come some things are so expensive and some are so cheap and still sensationally good. It's a mystery.

Graphic USA: An Alternative Guide to 25 US Cities
Graphic USA: An Alternative Guide to 25 US Cities

5.0 out of 5 stars great for short trips, 9 Nov. 2011
I often find myself waking up in strange cities wondering what to do to pass a long evening or where to go for a decent cup of coffee. Graphic USA is a fantastic book for short breaks in US cities. Having lived a long time in LA, I can testify that the recommendations are genuinely off the beaten track, but not too alienating in their cool-ness. It's also a beautiful book - the wealth of images is pretty phenomenal - each artist has their own style and it has been carefully curated to create a rich tapestry of illustration, photography and collage. Memphis and New Orleans particularly ignited my desire to explore.

I bought Graphic Europe - the first book in this series - about two years ago, and it's a well-thumbed companion that has served me well. I look forward to this one doing the same.

State of Craft
State of Craft
by Victoria Woodcock

5.0 out of 5 stars State of Craft - 5*, 2 Nov. 2011
This review is from: State of Craft (Paperback)
Probably the best craft book on the market. It's about time someone put together a book that does away with all the retro trappings, silly self-effacing cartoons and curly text and just focussed on explaining how to make really cool things in a clear, coherent and attractively presented manner. Nice illustration and photography too. Lovely. A great Christmas present - or just a present to self.

The Inspirational Moustache
The Inspirational Moustache
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 26 Oct. 2011
This book is delightful - street photography, design objects and crafts in a wry and rather nattily designed little package. The tone of the writing is light and amusing without being too try-hard, and surprisingly informative. A nice stocking-filler/gift book - particularly for those who rock interesting facial hair.

Graphic Europe: An Alternative Guide to 31 European Cities
Graphic Europe: An Alternative Guide to 31 European Cities

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Totally amazing book!, 10 Oct. 2009
I just bought this book, and I'm so impressed - it's one of those books that you think 'why hasn't anyone done this before'? In these days of cheap airfares, it's great to have a general city guide to Europe - it's lovely to browse through and pick a destination for your next long weekend - very readable, with interesting, alternative venues listed. Added to this it looks fantastic - beautifully put together and designed, with some really remarkable illustrations. This is destined to be a real classic for any traveller interested in design.

Caboodle Classic - Black
Caboodle Classic - Black
Offered by Caboodle Bags Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerless, 22 April 2008
This bag looks great in the picture, but fundamentally it's a really ugly, cheap looking nylon bag, with a really basic travel change mat inside. You'd be better off buying a bag and change mat separately and travelling with a bit more style.

Automated Alice
Automated Alice
by Jeff Noon

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 1 Oct. 2000
This review is from: Automated Alice (Paperback)
(to properly describe this novel I will have to use 'surreal' twice in the first sentence) it for This surreal, oh so very surreal novel from that crazy nutter that brought us the book 'Vurt', comes an effective, interesting novel. Noon captures Carrol's opiate vision and expands upon it for the LSD generation. Less dark and sinister than I expected, and don't let the blurbs description of 1998 Manchester make you think this is a modern version of Alice in Wonderland, as its talking zebra's and saxaphone playing slugs all round. Sometimes Noon looses it slightly and turns to inane, Beetle video imagery to convey feelings of a trip, but hey, they were all completely stoned weren't they?

Page: 1 | 2