Profile for ookster > Reviews

Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation
Solitary Witch: The Ultimate Book of Shadows for the New Generation
by Silver RavenWolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate-Not quite, but a very good try!, 1 Mar. 2003
A lot of Witches I come across are either very pro or very anti Ravenwolf- she seems to court a lot of controversy and personally I find that unfair. She is regarded in some quarters as the ultimate 'Fluffy Wicca' author- I dispute that, and this book is a substantial example of why the title is undeserved. First things first this is a HUGE tome, and as such is a good choice if you're starting out..it's great value for money. The book is laid out in an easy to read format, with indexed pages to allow you to find precisely what you're after. Do not be under any false impressions here, there has been a lot of thought and work put into this volume, covering a vast subject range..from spirit guides to altar set up, to healing herbs and tarot cards..there's almost 600 pages of essential knowledge in this volume. Silver has obviously done her research, and at the end of some sections in the book she suggests other works on the same subject should you wish to increase your knowledge further in that area (not all the books that she suggests are her own, either!;). Also, it's evident that she has carried out a lot of historical investigation-the book is dedicated to Ronald Hutton, who wrote the outstanding 'Triumph of the Moon', and if you have read that then you'll understand for this book to have met with his approval means it must be pretty good. Another bonus for the reader is that Silver has an excellent conversational writing style, the prose is really easy to understand and that adds to the reading experience.
There is a downside though, which is really unfortunate. It's aimed primarily at teens, and I really wish it hadn't been. This seems to be a blooming market at the moment, and to be honest I feel that teens are perfectly capable of reading 'adult' tomes but altering the material within to suit. After all, as a Witch you have to be adaptable! So within the volume you will find that are lots of spells aimed squarely at resolving teen issues, such as dating and homework problems. I think the book should have stated on the cover that it was aimed at such a market, but having said that you can skip these sections or change the material to suit your needs. It's only a minor gripe though really, when you consider the size of the book and the quality of the information there really is something for everyone within its pages.
I would suggest that you give this a try. If nothing else it's a handy reference book to have, and a good introductory text. Or, if you're of the 'Anti-Ravenwolf' fraternity, it'd make a great doorstop! =^..^=

The Little Book of Pocket Spells
The Little Book of Pocket Spells
by Akasha Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gem of a book for the price!!, 6 Feb. 2002
I'm amazed by this little book- it really does cover the basics but it does so extremely thoroughly. There are lots of topics covered, and it's a very enjoyable piece of work- I carry it in my bag always to dip into!
If you're a beginner or even if you're not- try this out-it's a great little reference book!
(Akasha Moon is also a good writer- would like to see more of her work)
Plus the cat illustrations are cute..(I've been after a nice cat illustration to use as a tattoo for ages-finally found it because of this book!)

Minor Earth Major Sky
Minor Earth Major Sky
Offered by nagiry

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful return for Norway's pop trio, 17 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Minor Earth Major Sky (Audio CD)
In 1985 a trio of Norwegians set my heart a flutter with their wonderful debut single, 'Take on Me'. I filled my room with posters, swore my heart belonged to Morten Harket and vowed to marry a Norwegian.... Now it's 15 years later. I'm 26, my musical interests have changed somewhat, and I have never married a bloke from Norway. But, despite my change in musical(and male)allegiance I have never gotten over the ethereal quality of Morten Harkets vocals, teamed with the musical abilities of Mags and the song-writing finesse of Pal. I also still play their second album, 'Scoundrel Days' which has always struck me as an album way ahead of its time, and possibly confused the brains out of their legions of fans who couldn't grasp the maturity of the lyrics and score. (I have no doubt that they all gave up and tore down their posters and replaced them with pictures of Bros...) I was so delighted to hear rumours that the new A-ha album was really good..and although slightly sceptical, I thought what the heck and bought it anyway... I am so pleased to be able to state what an excellent album this is. For someone who spends the majority of her days listening to music as diverse as FSOL, Paul Van Dyk and the Pet Shop Boys, you'd think I would not find any common ground with this album at all. Be prepared to be surprised then because this is not only an excellent pop album, but one that has been finely crafted with heartfelt lyric and extremely catchy melodies. Of course, the music reflects the maturity of the band members,yet still retains that certain quality that made A-ha stand out from their pop contempories.In my opinion, they were way ahead of their time, and suffered due to the idea of Norway being 'musically challenged' (think 'nul points' in the Eurovision Song Contest and you'll get my drift) The album flows extremely well, from an absolutely fantastic opener, the 'Minor Earth, Major Sky' of the albums title. The UK single release 'Summer Moved On' is blessed with soaring vocals and showcases Mr Harkets incredible vocal ability. There are surprises in here too, the baseline of 'The Sun Never Shone that Day' is reminiscent of Garbage's 'Stupid Girl'. I'm a little unsure of the final track, the oddly titled 'Mary Ellen Makes The Moment Count', but it's growing on me. Despite this singular reservation I have no doubt that this album is definitely a 'grower'. Leave your pre-conceptions behind, and give this album a try. If you loved 'Scoundrel Days' as much as I did, and still do, then you will be delighted. If you are new to A-ha, try this anyway-you'll be pleasantly surprised.