Profile for C. Flanagan > Reviews

Content by C. Flanagan

C. Flanagan (Scotland)

The Teacher: A shocking and compelling new crime thriller - NOT for the faint-hearted!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not one of Amazon's better recommendations, I'm afraid, 11 May 2016
There are bursts of writing where I'm finding my interest being engaged but for the most part I'm finding the plot very woolly with frequent non sequiturs being introduced. The sentence structure is very poor- why use a full stop when you can use a comma and keep going? I think that this book requires rather a lot more input from a clever editor to make the plot sharp and sparky. Not one of Amazon's better recommendations, I'm afraid.

Number Talks Common Core Edition, Grades K-5: Helping Children Build Mental Math and Computation Strategies
by Sherry Parrish

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Nov. 2015
Invaluable for Mental Maths. Use every day.

Transcendence
Transcendence

2.0 out of 5 stars Prequel to 50 Shades of Grey?, 21 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Transcendence (Kindle Edition)
I started this book full of high hopes as a friend had recommended it......it seemed quite good at first...but then the "erotic" part started...and went on....and on....it was like a teenager's erotic imaginings. I quickly got to the stage that where it started again (!) I quickly flicked forward to see if the next bit of story was more entertaining. Unfortunately not. The whole story was told from the point of view of one character and the reader was left to guess the thoughts of the other character and, indeed, what the meaning of many of the actions was and the significance of the appearance of the second character. The story had no depth, was very repetitive and the ending, which did explain the "why"of this of the book, was rather unbelievable and brief. It was like a diary written by a randy teenage boy. Not great.

4.0 out of 5 stars 419, 23 Feb. 2014
This review is from: 419 (Kindle Edition)
Having recently been the victim of a similar, dating, scam from Nigeria..... (only I realised, almost immediately, that there was something suspicious about this lovely man who wanted to spend his life making me happy....and my money doing so).....I was very interested when I heard of this book. I found the story a bit "woolly" in part- obviously I realised that these characters' stories had to meet up eventually, but I felt the stories meandered along while I wondered about their significance to the main characters and then their story just came to a rather abrupt climax. Therefore I was left with the feeling that their part in the story could have been handled in a less extensive way in the book. I wanted to know much more about the central characters and their lives. The central core of the story, however, had me feeling all the rage and disgust which I experienced for myself. But the book also showed me that there are at least two sides to every story and I actually felt some compassion for some of the "bad guys," forced into a way of life by these masterminders, whom I can only describe as "Scum" of the lowest order. It's so frightening to think that there are people like this operating, seemingly with impunity, in our world. And a lot of it seems to be centred on Nigeria. What is it with these people?? A very thought-provoking read....