Profile for K. Moss > Reviews

Content by K. Moss

K. Moss "Kevlet" (Cardiff, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17
A Harmony of the Gospels
A Harmony of the Gospels
by Robert L. Thomas

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I read this before?, 16 Nov. 2013
This is one of the most helpful tools for any serious student of the Gospel narratives.

Gundry and Thomas have simply organised all the narrative material into chronological order, so that one can see, side by side, how the four writers reflect each others' accounts, and also the ways in which their emphases differ. This is an exceptionally useful tool for systematic study, showing the surrounding context for understanding events, and Jesus' teaching. I already have Calvin's Harmony, but in terms of practicality, this is way more usable.

The book also functions as a constant reminder of the chronological trajectory through the Gospels. Sometimes, it is easy to think of the events being described as being somewhat random, or not cohering to an identifiable structure. The Harmony helps to continually remind one of the linear direction in which events are unfolding, and provides the reader with a sense of momentum.

A very useful resource - easily five stars of value here!

Gigaset C610 + L410 black
Gigaset C610 + L410 black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not one of my best purchases, 15 Nov. 2013
The phone 'works'. There is a persistently high level of signal noise whilst using it, which we did not have with our previous phone.

The plastics feel cheap and flimsy, and the little hands-free kit that comes with it, is not easy to operate (in use by elderly relative, to assist her in taking incoming calls).

I think it probably an adequate phone, despite these disappointments - but I would not buy another one!

Vktech Canvas Wrap Roll up Pen Case Pencil Bag Holder Storage Pouch (for 48pcs Pens)

3.0 out of 5 stars It does the job, 15 Nov. 2013
This was an inexpensive solution to the need to carry pencils around for quick access. I was not expecting miracles for the price.

And so, positively, it 'does the job'. It doesn't look as if it will fall about.

On the other hand...

(1) The plastic, wraparound, strap is an odd thing. I cannot work out how it is supposed to function - as it is too long to secure the Wrap once it is full of pencils. I think that I must be using it incorrectly - what I want to do is roll the item up into a tube structure, containing the pencils so that there is no chance of them dropping out. This appears not to be the way it is intended to work;

(2) And then there are the other items one carries along with pencils - sharpener, rubber etc. There is nowhere to hold these securely - there's a loose loop there, but stuff just falls out all the time.

So, I'm happy. This will do until I come across something more functional. But a little more thought with the design would make a big difference.

History, Law and Christianity
History, Law and Christianity
by John Warwick Montgomery

4.0 out of 5 stars The way we used to think, 15 Nov. 2013
I note that this book is no longer available, in an economical sense, in the UK. It was required reading for my MA, and I had to order it from the USA - otherwise I doubt if I would have encountered it.

It seems that the author is something of a polymath, having in total eleven degrees in philosophy, librarianship, philosophy and law. He was born in 1933, and specialised as a Barrister working in the field of human rights and religious freedom. This title ('History, Law and Christianity') is therefore a useful title because it brings together the author's various disciplines in what is actually rather a cogent defence of Christian belief.

It was first published in 1964, for many of us quite a different era in terms of the way in which people studied, and organised their understanding of subjects. It is difficult to imagine a similar book (perhaps) being written today, given the very effective splintering of disciplines that appears to have been systematically underway within the academy.

I have given the book four out of five stars, only because I think that our understanding of the data, especially concerning the New Testament, has advanced significantly since the author published this work. Indeed, from a position of orthodox Christian belief, we now have even stronger arguments for the historicity of the person of Christ, the reliability of the NT documents, and for the resurrection as the best explanation of the data. Never the less, JWM's treatment is rigorous, clear and very helpful. I did particularly enjoy the section where he outlined how the known facts about Jesus Christ would stack up from a legal perspective, using juridicial reasoning and the law of evidence.

If you can obtain a copy at a reasonable price, then I recommend that you do so. Unfortunately, it looks as if those copies available on the second-hand market in the UK tend to be priced beyond the reach of most 'normal' readers. The book is only 130 pages long, including the bibliography.

The Craig Kennedy Scientific Detective MEGAPACK ®: 25 Classic Tales of Detection

3.0 out of 5 stars entertaining, but rather formulaic, 10 Oct. 2013
These detective stories are on the whole enjoyable, if very noticeably dated. The quality of writing is somewhat variable, with a couple of tales verging towards the illiterate. The short stories are liberally sprinkled with typos, which is probably a result of poor correction following the scanning of the original texts. But these comments are churlish - overall, a pleasant bedtime read.

Synology DS412+ 8TB (4 x 2TB WD Red) DiskStation 4 Bay Desktop NAS
Synology DS412+ 8TB (4 x 2TB WD Red) DiskStation 4 Bay Desktop NAS

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 Aug. 2013
After much heart-searching, plus several increments in budget, I took action and replaced my ageing Buffalo Terastation (which still works reliably, albeit slowly).

My new Synology DS412+ DiskStation took just 24 hours to arrive - great service. When I opened and assembled it, I guess I was a little nervous of how complicated it was going to be, but actually, it was all rather straightforward. Within minutes, I was accessing the new system through Synology Assistant, I had configured new User Accounts, and even managed to set up the email functionality, so that each new user got an email with their login details. I don't have loads of confidence and expertise at this level, but Synology have somehow managed to make it all rather straightforward. Now we have new permanent volumes established, folders for our data, and our Users all have the right access rights - a doddle.

Several other things impress me with this: (a) the DiskStation is virtually silent (4 x 2TB Red Disks running); (b) the amount of detailed information about system status, even the temperature of the disks, and the use of system resources; (c) the ease with which additional functionality can simply be downloaded from the Package Centre - so we now have Synology's own anti-virus running happily in the background. I am a Mac user and the interface is one of the easiest I have come across.

All in all, whilst this is not a 'cheap' solution, I think it an excellent-value one. I take comfort in the fact that the WD 'Red Disks' mean that we are not taking shortcuts in terms of quality, and the solution ought therefore to be up to scratch for business use.

3 Theories of Everything
3 Theories of Everything
by Ellis Potter

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight and a surprise, 5 Aug. 2013
I had not read any Ellis Potter before, but had heard of the man by reputation. I was not, therefore, very sure of what I was going to find when I opened the pages of "3 Theories of Everything".

My first impression was one of delight: I love the way this man communicates. There is a rhythm and originality to his writing which invites you into the subject, pulls up a comfy chair and makes you very welcome indeed to the discussion. I accept that this is only part of the value of a book like this, but I have read enough books by churlish, hectoring authors which do not shrink from giving the impression that they regard you as beneath them if you happen to disagree with their views, to value someone who writes graciously, carefully and generously - even when describing views that he himself has seen through, and moved beyond.

The second experience was that of surprise. Surprise that as one attempts to understand the multiplicity of worldviews that bombard us, they do essentially fall into three main categories - Monism, Dualism and Trinitarianism. Potter accepts that in his trifold distinction between worldviews he is presenting a simplified ("grossly reductionistic") model, but in practice it works. For instance, later in the book he shows how modern atheism slots neatly into the category of 'Monism', and with it therefore carries the core theme of an absence of absolute meaning. Indeed, as he correctly deduces, within an atheistic universe, meaning is essentially an illusion.

This is a very useful book. The clarity and simplicity of language is echoed in the very clean, spartan design and type-setting. It is a book that draws you in and on - and at only 111 pages, it is not such a daunting prospect that people might feel put off from reading it. It fits into the category of a 'Making Sense of Stuff' book, and should form a springboard into other studies. I am very grateful to my friends, Huw & Alison, for recommending Mr Potter's book so warmly.

Archipelago
Archipelago

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it...but not as much as Night Walks!, 30 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Archipelago (MP3 Download)
I think this is an excellent album. I was, however, so struck by the depths of Night Walks, that this follow-up doesn't quite match up. As some have said, it is something of a 'slow burn' in terms of getting acquainted, and without doubt it is very highly textured and complex. This is, without doubt, a remarkable album, and if one had nothing to compare it with, I guess five stars would be much, much fairer. I think it lacks the strong melodic themes of he first album, and whilst the mood, ambience and technique are all superlative, I do like a good tune I can whistle along to.

Having said that, Archipelago is growing on me all the time, so it is quite possible that I will be back to update this review.

Night Walks
Night Walks

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting album, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Night Walks (MP3 Download)
I started looking at Hidden Orchestra because Amazon reckoned that 'because I liked' Phronesis and Tingvall Trio, I also ought to like this.

In fact they weren't a million miles off the mark, although Hidden Orchestra feel as if they are not exactly the same kind of thing at all. There are jazz influences, but the music is more characterised by its textures and atmosphere, as well as the use of percussion. Some of the tracks are extremely strong (eg. 'Dust') and a few others less immediately accessible, or with a more limited palette - but overall, this is an intriguing, engaging album which you can't just put on as background music, and need to invest a little time focusing on the content.

Jottbook A4 Black (lined)
Jottbook A4 Black (lined)
Offered by Fred Aldous Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 19 May 2013
I buy Leuchtturm notebooks because of the quality of the paper - generally coping with fountain pen ink very well.

This notebook is NOT the same. The paper is of a poorer quality, leading to significant feathering and sinking through to the reverse. Really quite disappointing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-17