Profile for Book Passion for Life > Reviews

Content by Book Passion f...

Book Passion for Life (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Glass Arrow
The Glass Arrow
by Kristen Simmons

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars!, 8 July 2015
This review is from: The Glass Arrow (Hardcover)
The Glass Arrow follows fifteen-year-old Aya who has been hunted all her life because she’s a female. In her world, females are bought and sold at market for their breeding rights. Their lives are not their own, they are controlled by men and destined to produce male heirs to wealthy family that bought them and once they’ve done their jobs, they are resold and their journey starts all over again. Aya has been hiding in the woods for years until one day, she’s captured and taken to a camp that prepare females for their duties but Aya will never give up on escaping and soon her life depends on it.

Another book by Kristen Simmons? Well that sold me straight away. I love her Article 5 series so I had really high hopes for this and while The Glass Arrow did have faults, it was a pleasant read.

I really struggled to get into the story when I first started reading but I’m glad I pushed through because once I got through the first 100 pages or so, the story picks up a lot and I soon found myself rooting for Aya. I loved that Aya was such a strong character. She’s young for her age but she’s so knowledgeable and very determined. It’s easy to forget that she’s only fifteen years old. And she has gone through so much in her life. She’s suffered loss, hurt, pain in ways you can’t imagine and I really sympathised with her.

It’s not Aya is in seclusion that a boy from across the lake starts interacting with her. He can’t talk so Aya finds herself opening up to him in many ways she’s never done so before with anyone else. I loved this part of the story. I really liked watching Aya opening up to the boy who she names Kiran. It’s here you truly get to know what type of person she is and also, even though Kiran doesn’t say anything you start to discover there’s more to him than meets the eye. He has his own secrets but he’s a kind and loving person. And the romance between them is very swoon-worthy.

The plot of the story really picks up towards the end and it becomes a nail-biting read. And what makes this story so enjoyable is that it’s a stand-alone and you all know we don’t get many of them. While Aya’s story is over, the world Aya lives in is still the same so if Kristen Simmons wanted to write more, I guess she could but I’d hope not in Aya’s point of view. Maybe a different character?

In all, The Glass Arrow was an enjoyable read and I can’t wait to see what Kristen Simmon’s does next!

Belonging: Volume 2 (Regent Vampire Lords)
Belonging: Volume 2 (Regent Vampire Lords)
by K.L. Kreig

5.0 out of 5 stars For fans of BDB byJR Ward, 8 July 2015
Belonging is book two in the ‘Regent Vampire Lords’ series and just as awesome as the first.
This time around Damien, Regent Vampire Lord of the East is about to get sucker punched with desire, lust & love when he meets his Moira/soul mate Analise Anders.
Analise is a feisty young woman who didn’t get the best start in life. Having been pushed around the foster care system for most of her life, she has come to realise that the only person you can count on is yourself and anyone else will eventually leave and hurt you. That is except for her friend Beth, the only person who Analise will let in, a girl who is very much like a sister and means the world to her…… also a girl that has been missing for a while. When Analise’s only lead sends her into the secret world of Vampires, she knows she may not get out alive but will do whatever it takes to find Beth because if her dreams are any indicator….. she needs to be found…. And fast!
Analise is told to look for Devon Fallinsworth, Vampire Regent of the area and owner of Dragonfly where Analise has just become employed…. But Analise doesn’t find Dev….instead she finds Damian and sparks will definitely fly. Damian can’t believe he’s found his Moira and goes all caveman in an effort to protect her because it soon becomes apparent that Damian isn’t the only one after Analise and when her history is revealed – she is everything that hates with a passion, reminding him of everything that he had loved and lost before.
Anailise knows she needs to work on herself and her barriers but so does Damian – surely they can both heal each other? With everything going against them you wouldn’t think so but she needs his help, she needs to find Beth and after that who knows? She will not put herself and her heart out there only to be broken because she would not survive Damian.
So… this book was fab! It was just as awesome as book one and a great continuation. Analise was a great character and you can really empathise with her life and situation. When you live like her it would stand to reason that you would cling to any friend you had so when that friend goes missing, you would stop at nothing to see them found. Considering how miserable her life was, she didn’t wallow in self pity or dwell on how bad her life was – she got on with it and did what she had to do which showed her strength of character. I thought she was a perfect match to Damien because he was a bit of a control freak and she had a take no sh*t attitude and although they will probably clash forever, they challenge each other to make themselves better. I love when the Vampires meet their Moira, the pull is fun to read and how they totally act out of character and allow things to happen that they wouldn’t otherwise. Analise letting go for him was a major thing but so rewarding when we see just exactly what he can do for her and make her feel, they really steamed up those pages with their sexytimes and I will always route for soulmates.
The storyline was just as good as book one, continuing a couple of months after and we get multiple povs again for that well rounded story and knowing what is happening everywhere. We know who the enemy is this time around and we know what he’s looking for after being clued in when he kidnapped Kate – so it becomes a matter of who will track the next lady down and we don’t have to wait long to find out. There are multiple attempts at getting to Analise, people asking about her, trying to find information and such but the emphasis is definitely on the relationship and their inner battles. I loved Analise’s heritage and thought that it was a nice little twist considering who her mate was and thought it tied together really well. I loved that she was given the opportunity to become a part of something, to be loved and cherished and made to feel like she was wanted and although she didn’t ‘need’ that to live, it enriched her life and helped her heal. Elsewhere in the book we get a little more from the secondary characters too, Mike and Giselle have something going on between them and you can cut the tension with a knife – could a human man possibly be fated to a female vampire? Plus we get a little more from the bad guy camp and see what happens when one of the victims comes to mean something to one of the captors and I really want to see where that goes. There was action by the way of attempts to get to Analise and then of course at the end for the finale when Damien and co. need to find and infiltrate the enemy camp to stop what they’re doing and rescue any victims – which was awesome! Everything was here for a great paranormal romance and I wasn’t disappointed by a single thing…… even the way it left you hanging for book three.

Mending Scars: Volume 5 (Others of Edenton)
Mending Scars: Volume 5 (Others of Edenton)
by Brandy L Rivers

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars!, 8 July 2015
Mending Scars had been a book that I had been waiting for featuring two of the most prominent characters from Edenton – Preston and Dacia. To be honest, I didn’t see them working out because Preston was the fun loving playboy type who didn’t really do long term and we know that he had his heart broken a couple of books back by Amethyst and Jamie. Dacia was the resident psycho b***h who thought she could have any man she desired and woe betide any woman who would stand in her way, she’s spoilt, she’s selfish, she’s manipulative …..oh and she nearly killed him…. Great start! So you can imagine my surprise at this latest coupling. However, I may have been too quick to judge both of them as their scars are laid open for all too see as they help each other mend.
So, we learn a lot about these two throughout the book that really changes the way I viewed them – Dacia especially. Throughout the series we have seen some her displays towards the women she feels threatened by but we also saw glimpses of the real Dacia shine through now and again in her willingness to help in a bad situation or try to do the right thing - but with her history, people find it hard to believe in her and also she has a tendency to mess things up or be in the place where everything goes down. What we don’t know is that most of it is a façade, people constantly want to use her, abuse her and generally treat her like crap – including a self centred mother and a monstrous father – she was brought up not to feel, told that she was worthless so that now, she feels unlovable. It’s hard for her to believe that Preston wants anything more than a fling with her because let’s face it – his reputation precedes him too. When they both realise that they share a bond that is much deeper, they are willing to explore it but both of their pasts will get in the way.
I ended up really liking these two as a couple and it was a pleasant surprise, they did have a connection and they did have chemistry – so much in fact that they couldn’t keep their hands of each other. I loved how Dacia’s vulnerability shone through, I thought she came across as very genuine and definitely scarred by others. I also didn’t realise that Preston had issues too, he comes across as very cocky and confident but we get to see a total different side to him as well. They steamed the pages up with their sexytimes as they tried to identify what they had and they did a good job of showing each other their feelings rather than saying it.
The storyline was great – as always! It crosses over from the Others of Seattle series and connects them both well. Remus (Dacia’s father) is the enemy and most wanted for what they uncovered about him and if you thought his depravity was shown in previous books then you’re in for an eye opener when they start revealing more about him. A lot of the story is devoted to the search for him, there are a lot of near misses and scheming which brings a few of our favourite characters together in the mission to find him which was so good to read and keeps in with the family/community feel of the series. Preston also has ‘Daddy’ issues too as it’s finally revealed who his father actually is and we also find out how and why it was a secret – I have to say, I loved this part! I love a secret child plotline and would really like to follow that thread more now that things are out in the open. I was really satisfied with where the story went overall, there are a couple of bad guys that popped up in this that I would like to know more about too but as usual this book was full of everything you need for a good paranormal romance/UF, continuing the quality of the series that are so easy to read and what better way to pass a few hours than with the ‘Others of Edenton’……. I wonder who’s next?

Crown of Midnight: 2 (Throne of Glass)
Crown of Midnight: 2 (Throne of Glass)
by Sarah J. Maas

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthy sequel!, 8 July 2015
Crown of Midnight was one of my most anticipated reads but I tried to read it when it was first released but I had too much trouble remembering what had happened in Throne of Glass. So I put Crown of Midnight down and it’s only because I recently listened to Throne of Glass on audio that I’ve been able to finally dig in to this beauty of a book. I’m glad I did the re-read though because I definitely forgot a lot of important details.

Celeana Sardothien is the royal assassin to the King of Adarlan after she won the position where she much serve the King for next several year but will eventually gain her freedom. Now she must carry out the King’s deadly tasks and take down the people that threaten his position as King. But Celeana being Celeana – head strong, determined and feisty she will never follow the King and tries to stop his plans but by doing so, she risks all she loves. But her journey is far from over and the deeper she unravels the mysteries of the castle, the more she discovers about magic and the importance of her role.

Admittedly Crown of Midnight does have a slow start but because I’m so invested in the story and characters, it didn’t bother me. It was like catching up with old friends and I loved every minute of it. It’s once you hit the halfway mark that things seriously take a turn and the story becomes impossible to put down. Exciting, thrilling and so engaging this story doesn’t have a dull moment and the author really starts weaving in all the answers to the questions you’ve collected throughout the story. And the answers, the answers will simply blow you away! I wasn’t prepared for them but I’m in awe of the master piece that is this book and it shows you how talented Sarah J. Maas is!

Is there anyone more badass than Celeana? Seriously this woman is amazing! Is there anything she can’t do? She’s become stronger and stronger with every turn of the series and has continued to grow and become someone to admire with her determination and courage. It’s hard not to love her! But there’s definitely more to Celeana than meets the eye and this is the book where we really discover her secrets and it left me reeling. And the story wouldn’t be complete without the two leading guys – Dorian and Chaol – whom I love for both completely different reasons.

Crown of Midnight was definitely worth the wait but that ending, gosh, I’m so glad I have Heir of Fire at hand so I don’t have to wait to see what happens next. Amazing! Well done Sarah J. Maas for delivering a worthy sequel!

An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, Book 1)
An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, Book 1)
by Sabaa Tahir

3.0 out of 5 stars Likable!, 8 July 2015
Pegged as one of the biggest reads this year, An Ember into the Ashes is a page turning debut by Sabaa Tahir!

Told by alternative narratives we have Elias and Laia both telling their own stories as well as the horrors and cruelty of the world they live in.

Elias is a Mask, a solider who has nearly finished his training at Blackcliff Military Academy. But Elias is hiding his true feelings from everyone – he hates his life and wishes for nothing more than to escape from it and his mother who is the Commandant of the Academy, and he plans to do so until he’s offered an opportunity he can’t refuse.

Laia is a slave, a girl who has lost everyone she’s ever loved and now he brother has been taken captive by the Martial Empire and is being called a traitor. Laia is determined to save her brother and therefore joins the Resistance. But she’s given a task. She must work as a slave to the Commandant and spy on her to provide the Resistance important information. But the Commandant is as evil as they come and she takes pleasure in hurting her slaves.

As Elia and Laia both take their own journey to achieve the freedom they both crave, their lives get tangled when they keep crossing paths. Can they save themselves before everything they care about is lost to them?

Whenever I hear about a book that has a lot of hype surrounding it I’m intrigued, not matter what. Add in the fact that I love a good YA fantasy read, well then An Ember in the Ashes should have been perfect for me. But unfortunately while it was a page turning debut it wasn’t as an epic as I was expecting it to be. There’s no denying that Sabaa Tahir is a talented writer that has a keen eye for detail and can create a world like no other, it’s just the plot of the story was a little flat in places especially because the story is so slow paced. I can stick with a plot that is slow but I need something to happen towards the end and while something does happen, it’s still very slow paced.

I liked both of the main characters and both have completely different paths and personalities. Both had their own voice and I enjoyed the alternative narratives. I would have liked for Laia to have been a stronger character though. I just wish their story was more intertwined than it was. I was expecting some epic romance and we didn’t get that. What we got was two different love triangles which confused me. It was hard to know who really liked who and who to actually root for. Even in the end, I’m still not sure if there is a solid love interest between Elias and Laia.

The big question for me is will this become a series? For me it HAS to be a series. There are just too many unanswered questions and plot holes not filled. There has to be more.

Reawakening: Volume 3 (Regent Vampire Lords)
Reawakening: Volume 3 (Regent Vampire Lords)
by K.L. Kreig

5.0 out of 5 stars For fans of BDB by JR Ward, 8 July 2015
You know, this is why I love reviewing because if I hadn’t have been asked to review this series – I would have totally missed on something so good. Even at the third book; I’m still interested, I’m still loving the characters & their worlds and I’m still left wanting more.
There are three Regent Vampire Lords in this world and the last one standing is Romaric who gleefully watched his other Lords be put through their paces by their Moiras, never expecting that his was just a stone throw away….. but there is a problem – Romaric already had a Moira, so can she really be his?
In the epilogue of book two Sarah is recovering in the refuge - after being held captive by the enemy for a month – she has just found out that she has sisters, she has just found out her heritage and is about to be mesmerised by the most beautiful man/vampire she has ever seen. Romaric sees Sarah and he knows she’s his Moira, he has the overwhelming urge to claim her but is confused as to how this can be, so he does what any confused man does……he runs.
Sarah is left confused by her feelings and with a sense of loss but it isn’t long before Romaric comes back determined to make her his own…. The thing is, Sarah is torn – how can she be with him when he didn’t want her? How can she love one so scary and stoic, someone unwilling to share his past so they can have a future, someone who has rejected her more than once. One thing is for sure – Romaric has got his work cut out for him both in his personal life and professional because through his actions, he brings more than one enemy to his door and it could mean death for both him and Sarah.

I loved this story, truly loved it! Sarah and Romaric make a great pairing; both are damaged, both need to open up but both are survivors in one way or another. I like how the women in this series challenge their men, they don’t take things at face value, they question, they find facts and they dig the dirt up. They don’t want to just sit there and be the pretty mate of a vampire, they put their time and effort into things they believe in, carving out their own path but also accepting that they are now the mate of a strong, protective man who acts like a caveman and I love the situations that arise when they demand something of their women only to be told no! Romaric is no exception, he has to play by Sarah’s rules and wait for her to make decisions, yes it infuriates him but that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing. Romaric came across as quite clueless in how to have a relationship and it was funny when Dev & Damian try to give him advice. The going is quite emotional here as well because Sarah has demons from her time in captivity and Rom has them from his past so it’s clear that both need to open up to move forward – which is easier said than done for Rom. I loved watching their relationship progress though, it’s not easy when you’re with someone who never opens up and just a showing of emotion is like a victory but I enjoyed how they bonded and eventually mated.
The storyline was extra packed this time because we a treat to more than one enemy. We know that one enemy has been about since the beginning of the series but in this one….. Romaric brings one of his own when he revisits a past that should have stayed there. As we get to know our couple we learn more about them and find that Sarah has some gifts, it’s through those gifts that she becomes invaluable to Rom’s survival – not that he knows it. She also enlists the help of someone to find her family tree with surprising results for both of them. The Lords are again trying to sort out the kidnappings, captivity, experiment drama and are gathering intel, they have help from an unexpected source -who may have been misjudged or is a victim of circumstance- and it looks like it’s the final showdown for enemy #1 but #2 is still waiting in the background and Romaric is very much involved in plotting and planning the downfall of that one too. There are a lot of threads in this that keep you really engrossed in the story - as well as the relationship – and through this we meet more people, see what a few of them are about and capable of which opens up the world that much more and I’m really interested in a couple of the newbies. It all comes together for not one, but two showdowns that have some awesome twists and turns that leave you breathless and very satisfied but also wondering what’s next for the Lords. Book 4 is set up in my opinion and definitely one I will look forward to but I want Mike & Giselle’s story soon.

Asa (The Marked Men Book 6)
Asa (The Marked Men Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended series!, 8 July 2015
It's hard to believe this is the end of the lovable Marked Men series. For the past three years these guys have filled the book world and it's definitely a bittersweet moment for their stories to end!

Asa has always done the wrong thing. He'd do anything to get what he wanted, even if that meant he had to hurt, lie and steal from people. As long as Asa got what he wanted everything was okay. Until it wasn't when he messed with the wrong people and Asa's life was suddenly on the line. Now trying to be a better man as best he can, Asa doesn't have much hope that he deserves any future opportunities that come his way and that's including the red-headed cop Royal.

Royal knows she shouldn't be attracted to Asa because he's everything she shouldn't want in a guy being a cop and all. But once her job is put on the line after her partner is injured Royal starts looking for confront from Asa - even though he keeps turning her down.

Can these two make the most of what they've got and find happiness or will they forever be alone in misery?

This is another great read from Jay Crownover! Since I've read her Welcome to the Point series I have to say I do prefer them over the Marked Men series but they're still awesome reads and I've become so attached to all the character, it's going to be hard to let them go. I am hoping we will see sneak peaks from them in the Saints of Denver series - which I know is just going to be awesome.

I love Asa and Royal. Asa has definitely been a character that you have to grow to love because when you first meet him he isn't very nice. But he changes - even if he doesn't see it - for the better and he becomes a guy worthy of the respect and love all the other guys have. As for Royal, she hasn't been in the series very long. Only like 2 books or so but she fast became a favourite. She's quirky and fun. I love how she's always locking herself our of her apartment or car because she feels so realistic. And the romance between Asa and Royal is simply hot. And I really enjoyed how Royal pushed Asa to go after what he wanted.

So yeah, I really enjoyed Asa. I would have loved some more time with the rest of the gang but they've all had their moments but I really liked seeing some of their stories end to.

In all the Marked Men series is a fantastic new adult series and one I highly recommend you read!

Chaos and Moonlight (Order of the Nines Book 1)
Chaos and Moonlight (Order of the Nines Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars!, 8 July 2015
Chaos and Moonlight was a great introduction to the new ‘Order of the Nines’ series and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
I thought the premise for the book was great – Vampires on the edge of extinction looking to find a cure so that more vampires can be created. Our leading man – Taris – is the oldest living vampire, one who started a group of vampires known as the Nines to protect both humans and vampires alike from each other. That all changed when they were betrayed by their own and Taris lost interest in saving people, leaving the rest of the group leaderless. Now, Taris is looking for a cure for the vampires so that their race can survive and live on but there is another who wants the cure for more nefarious reasons and will stop at nothing to get it.
When a bright, young and brilliant doctor brings her discovery to the media, it grabs the attention of all vampires but there are two sides that are really willing to do something about it….. both are on the hunt for Dr. Sarah Bridgeman whose brand of research could save more than she thinks. Luckily Taris gets to her before the enemy and must do everything in his power to protect her and the hope she unknowingly brings to the vampire race. He may be getting the cure to the vampire curse but will she also be able to defrost his cold heart?
I really enjoyed this book, everything about it in fact because I’m always on the lookout for a great vampire story. As I mentioned, I loved the idea behind the story and it brought something fresh to the table from a typical love story. I liked all of the characters in the book and even though Taris & Sarah were the main focus, I still became invested in all of the characters throughout the book. The romance is a major draw for me in these books and I enjoyed what we got here, I thought Taris and Sarah made a great couple, they shared some good chemistry and a nice dose of sexytime. Sarah was just what Taris needed, someone to be there for him, to challenge him and of course the bond they shared was great. I liked how she frustrated him and how their preconceived notions of each other were challenged but they definitely were a couple you could route for.
There was plenty of action in the story as Sarah is the target and both sides want her, one will fight to take her and the other to protect her and this brought about some great fight scenes and some even better reveals. The story is told in multiple povs which includes the enemies take on things and I always appreciate the all round view we get from this, I like to know what is going on in everyone's head so that’s always a plus. I said that all of the characters were likable and I’m hoping that we will find out more about these, we find some things out but only the basics but the characters really grab you attention with their own battles. I like the idea of the ‘Nines’ and I think it would be great if they could start it back up and get back into the thick of things for future books…but as far as this goes…. It’s a great start!

Retribution
Retribution
by Katie Reus

5.0 out of 5 stars Plenty of everything!, 8 July 2015
This review is from: Retribution (Paperback)
Retribution is definitely the name of the game in this latest offering from Katie Reus.
This book could really make a great movie because it has all of the elements I would look for in pnr. We have a pair of sisters –Nika & Alena Brennan - who have taken on vigilante roles against someone who has done them wrong, but this someone happens to be one of the biggest crime bosses going and is known for his wickedness. The girls befriend his son in the hopes of getting close enough to the father so they can take their revenge but what they don’t know is….someone is onto them.
Declan Gallagher is a security expert, he is also a dream walker – someone who can enter a persons’ dreams and find out their darkest secrets. When he is approached to look into Nika & Alena he has no problems becoming involved because he will be on a job for the crime lord’s son Andre anyway and that is exactly how the girls plan to get to their target. Whilst doing a little delving into Nika’s dreams he is confronted with the fact that she has a special power too and that’s not the only thing they share……
Upon meeting things take a sudden turn for the worst when Alena is kidnapped and held for ransom. Nika is left to deal with everything but with Declan and even Andre on her side… can they piece the puzzle together? What will happen to their plan now? And just who knows what they’re up to?
I really enjoyed this book, as I said – it would make a great movie without the paranormal element but the fact that it was there gave the book that much more of an edge. I love these type of stories, anything to do with psychics and investigations etc. I don’t know why but they always draw me in, I want to believe in this stuff, I want to believe that they can help spirits find peace and this satisfied everything I love about it. Most of the characters are likable, you can empathise with Nika & Alena straight away even though we don’t get the full tragic story until much later, they were easy to like and understand. Declan too was a great leading man, hot, sexy and more than capable of protecting anyone. I loved how they came together in dreams and had no inhibitions but in real life it was different and it was up to each other to tear down the walls between them. They had great chemistry and the sexytimes were steamy.
The storyline had plenty of action by way of car crashes, kidnappings, escapes, rescues & ambushes …. These scenes were great and you could feel the tension & anxiety of the situations. I thought the author brought a believable story to the reader and everything seemed plausible. It seemed as though most everyone had some secret they didn’t want others to know and throughout the book they are revealed with some disastrous consequences. All in all, I was very satisfied with this book, it kept me interested and involved right up until the very end and I hope there will be more from either Declan’s brothers or his security employees.

Love Monster and the Last Chocolate
Love Monster and the Last Chocolate
by Rachel Bright

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab read for children!, 8 July 2015
This is just the perfect type of story I love reading with my daughter. A story that teaches her about real life emotions and Love Monster's story is a good one.

When Love Monster returns from home from holiday, he finds a box of chocolates on his door step and he then has to decide if he should keep them all for himself or if he should share them with his friends.

Like I said before it's a good message for children, mainly because we can all agree we've been in the same situation as Love Monster where you have something you want to keep all to yourself but you know deep down that you need to share with others. Sharing is really important to anyone's life, especially children because you don't want them to become spoilt. So reading Love Monsters story and being able to relate to him, I think children will clearly understand the message behind it. My daughter certainly did.

Rachel Bright has done a great job with Love Monster and the Last Chocolate. We have a beautiful story with beautiful and bright illustrations that pop from the pages and every page has added extra details that really helps bring this story to life.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20