Profile for dannyboy > Reviews

A Bigger Message: Conversations with David Hockney
A Bigger Message: Conversations with David Hockney
by Martin Gayford

5.0 out of 5 stars A photographer's view., 27 Feb. 2012
When I was at school I was amazed at the effect a course on drawing had on my perception of things. Later when I turned to photography, I concluded that the best way to improve my photography was to take up drawing again. Then I heard on Desert Island Disks a revered photographer recommend three tips for would-be photographers - 1) learn the techniques, 2) forget the techniques, 3) start looking! Martin Gayford, thanks to David Hockney, has in this book made me think about these fundamentals again.

This book is full of ideas. One wonders if Hockney could ever say anything uninteresting or dull. Even though not sure about his art (for now), I found this book an eye-opening and exciting read.

Panasonic DMW-LT55E 1.7 x Tele-Conversion Lens For Lumix FZ38, FZ45, FZ48, FZ72, FZ82, FZ100, FZ200 FZ330 ( lens adaptor required )

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting close to wildelife with a small camera., 27 Feb. 2012
Panasonic DMW-LT55E 1.7 x Tele-Conversion Lens For Lumix FZ100, FZ48, FZ45 and FZ38I'm well pleased with this lens after spending some time with it on my FZ100. My aim was to get close to garden birds and as close as possible to water bird at our local nature reserves. I looked at various options such as digiscoping (using my 32X telescope) or using a larger converter e.g. 2.2x. I opted for the 1.7x outfit because it is very neat and handy, which I find increasingly important. Also, the optical results are fine (providing you don't go bananas with the zoom). Naturally, a tripod is more or less essential and I have been using a Velbon Ultra Maxi F with a pan and tilt head which together weigh 9.48kg. It easily hangs on a bootlace round my waist and in a hide it can sit low. This makes the whole outfit very useable. My last pictures were of a nice pair of foraging snipe, with plenty of detail.

by Francis Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars Grasses etc, 21 Jan. 2012
Colour Identification Guide to the Grasses, Sedges, Rushes and Ferns of the British Isles and North Western Europe Francis Rose's book is one of the recommendations for our evening class on botany, now that we have moved on to grasses and sedges etc. It gives the level of detail you need for the subject, though you end up with a book weighing nearly a kilo so it is a bit daunting for use in the field. But this is a fine book in its own right and a delight to use and just look at. If you just want something on grasses you could try the much more handy Penguin book by Hubbard, but that's just in black and white and I would miss the colour of Francis Rose.

Panasonic DMW-LA5E - Conversion Lens Adapter for FZ100, FZ48 and FZ45
Panasonic DMW-LA5E - Conversion Lens Adapter for FZ100, FZ48 and FZ45

4.0 out of 5 stars Close-up adaptor for FZ 100, 23 Sept. 2011
Panasonic DMW-LA5E - Conversion Lens Adapter for FZ100, FZ48 and FZ45 I have been using this with the Close-up Lens, and they have produced some great pictures, flowers and insects, at a good working distance from the lense, but it's a good idea to use a tripod to keep things still and frame up the subject. Setting up the camera within the new limits of the autofocus took some getting used to. The zoom element of the camera moves within the Adapter, so the dimensions of the unit are constant which makes for easier handling. Screwing on or unscrewing the unit is easy when you get to know it.

When Jesus Became God: The Struggle to Define Christianity During the Last Days of Rome
by Richard E Rubenstein

5.0 out of 5 stars When Jesus beame God., 26 July 2011
My Muslim friend who runs the Indian take-away in our road recenly gave me an English Koran (Quran) and, in an appendix, there is discussion of the question of whether Jesus could be properly referred to as God, not least because of what the Bible actually says on the subject. I found reading other people's reviews on this Amazon website a very good introduction and I doubt I can add much to the general conclusion that this is an impressive and enjoyable book, quite surprising in its relevance to our own times. I have since bought another copy for a relative.