Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Learn more Fitbit
Profile for Twizzlestick > Reviews

Content by Twizzlestick

Twizzlestick

StilGut UltraSlim with Stand, Case for Apple iPad Pro 9.7", Smart Cover Function, Black
Offered by StilGut

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect..., 21 Feb. 2017
Without doubt, the best lightweight, slim case you can buy for an iPad 2. As others have said, this is the case that Apple should have made. NOt the cheapest but oozes quality.

Behind Closed Doors
Behind Closed Doors
by B A Paris

1.0 out of 5 stars Dire..., 19 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Behind Closed Doors (Paperback)
Dreadful. As others have said, how on earth can this pulp receive so many 5 star reviews? The plot is just ludicrous, the characterisation is weak and the writing is absolutely dire, as if it'd been written by an over-enthusiastic adolescent. This book has no redeeming features whatsoever. At least Gone Girl was well-written, even if the ending was absurd. It is so hard to find a decent, well-written thriller these days, particularly if you are tired of the all gun-ho American rubbish and the same-old, same-old Scandinavian stuff. Joanna Harris's "Gentlemen & Players" is still the pick of the bunch for me, plus of course Adam Loxley's "Teleios Ring" which is a real undiscovered gem.

Liberon LIBLCN150 150ml Leather Cream - Neutral
Liberon LIBLCN150 150ml Leather Cream - Neutral

1.0 out of 5 stars A con.., 28 Feb. 2015
I also ordered tan, as per the headline, and received neutral.

Only the Innocent
Only the Innocent

1.0 out of 5 stars It must be me..., 31 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Only the Innocent (Kindle Edition)
Am something of a thriller fan, always on the look out for the next 'thriller of the year' or the undiscovered gem. I much prefer the complex, intelligent British thriller to brash America pulp fiction or all that dark and dreary Scandinavian stuff. Had not read any Rachel Abbot before but was looking forward to this based on all the reviews. This is a hugely popular novel so I am genuinely confused. The plot is predictable, the characterisation is poor and the writing is just awful; really amateurish. I took it on holiday with Eeny Meeny and C. L. Taylor's The Accident, the latter being by far the best of the three. But none of them a patch on Adam Loxley's 'The Teleios Ring', a British thriller which is a real undiscovered gem.

Bite: The most gripping thriller you will ever read
Bite: The most gripping thriller you will ever read

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than most US Thrillers, 27 Oct. 2014
I don't write too many reviews, partly because I'm too busy trying to discover new thrillers but also because not many of them of pass the very high benchmark needed to get my personal recommendation!. But Nick Louths 'Bite' is one of the exceptions, joining a small elite list including William Boyd's 'Ordinary Thunderstorms', Robert Goddard's 'Into The Blue' and Adam Loxley's 'Teleios Ring.' Others have spent lots of words providing a synopsis of plot and characterisation. Simply to say, if you like fast paced, US thrillers with great plot twists and strong characterisation, this is definitely one to buy, I don't think you will be disappointed. Usually I prefer my thrillers to be the complex, British variety - hence the list above and only four stars for 'Bite', but this is a cut above the usual American stuff.

Never Go Back: (Jack Reacher 18)
Never Go Back: (Jack Reacher 18)
by Lee Child

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost the plot..., 27 Oct. 2014
I hate to say it but Lee Child is running out of steam. And I've been a fan since The Killing Floor which is still one of my favourite all time thrillers. It's been formulaic for quite a while now but this is very poor. And Jack Reacher seems to be turning into a pale caricature of himself. Craven, the protagonist in Adam Loxley's `The Teleios Ring' makes him look like Cinderella!

The Impossible Dream / Tomorrow Belongs To Me (2007 Remastered)
The Impossible Dream / Tomorrow Belongs To Me (2007 Remastered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Tomorrow Belongs To Me..., 6 Sept. 2014
The 1970s. Me in my early twenties, wearing a red velvet jacket and faded, flared denims, sleeping in the YMCA in Amsterdam and listening to the Sensational Alex Harvey Band (SAHB). Ultimately, this review about quality song-writing and nobody (and I mean nobody) wrote songs with such swagger and originality as Alex Harvey, alas no longer with us. SAHB were my absolute favourite band throughout my twenties, frankly in a decade when a lot of the music wasn't very good. They produced a series of stunning albums from 1972 until 1979 but in the end, nothing showcases the sheer breadth and originality of their work better than Tomorrow Belongs To Me. The band itself were hugely accomplished musicians fronted by the most audacious and charismatic front-man that I have ever seen. Renowned for being even better live than they were on record, I went to see them support The Who at Charlton in 1975. I hate large venues and they are the only band I ever went to see at a stadium gig. `Nuff said...

Tomorrow Belongs to Me
Tomorrow Belongs to Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning..., 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Tomorrow Belongs to Me (Audio CD)
The 1970s. Me in my early twenties, wearing a red velvet jacket and faded, flared denims, sleeping in the YMCA in Amsterdam and listening to the Sensational Alex Harvey Band (SAHB). Ultimately, this review is about quality song-writing and nobody (and I mean nobody) wrote songs with such swagger and originality as Alex Harvey, alas no longer with us. SAHB were my absolute favourite band throughout my twenties, frankly in a decade when a lot of the music wasn't very good. They produced a series of stunning albums from 1972 until 1979 but in the end, nothing showcases the sheer breadth and originality of their work better than Tomorrow Belongs To Me. The band itself were hugely accomplished musicians fronted by the most audacious and charismatic front-man that I have ever seen. enowned for being even better live than they were on record, I went to see them support The Who at Charlton in 1975. I hate large venues and they are the only band I ever went to see at a stadium gig. `Nuff said...

Chapter III Vol 1
Chapter III Vol 1

5.0 out of 5 stars The undiscovered gem of 1969.., 6 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Chapter III Vol 1 (Audio CD)
My most treasured album of all time. If the house was burning down and I could only save one CD, this is the one that I would take. When I was at senior school, it became the convention, particularly amongst the cooler, older kids, to bring an LP to school, always carried under the arm and with the front cover facing outwards, so that everybody could see your taste in music. Not quite sure why we did it but in 1969 and 1970 everyone was carrying copies of Led Zeppelin I, Liege & Lief, In The Court Of A Crimson King, Five Leaves Left, Fire & Water etc. but the really cool kids, and I mean the really, really cool kids were carrying a copy of Manfred Mann Chapter Three, Volume I. It was the absolute, undiscovered gem of 1969 and it was like nothing else we had ever heard. In an era of crappy pop songs and ubiquitous heavy rock bands it broke all the rules – which is why as rebellious teenagers we loved it so much. I dare not tell you about all the things that I got up to with this record playing in the background but it became the soundtrack for my middle teenage years – that wonderful period of innocent, adolescent discovery. Melancholy, menacing, jazz/rock with Mike Hugg singing like Thom Yorke before Thom Yorke was even born. No other music transports me back to another time and another place as much as this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 19, 2017 5:33 PM GMT

A Very Long Engagement/Un long dimanche de fianceilles
A Very Long Engagement/Un long dimanche de fianceilles
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpiece, 25 Oct. 2009
Quite simply, one of the most exquisite film scores that you will ever listen to - a full, classical piece in its own right. Dark, mysterious and achingly beautiful. I've seen the film several times and it is excellent (not quite as good as Amelie but still very good) but if anything, the pace and complexity of the film somehow overtakes the soundtrack. I just don't remember it being as good as this. It's stunning, just absolutely stunning. It must be Badalamenti's finest work by a mile.