Profile for Dan the Man > Reviews

Content by Dan the Man

Dan the Man (Wales, UK)

Toshiba PA-1650-81 Satellite C650 C660 C655 C50 C55 Adapter Battery Charger for Laptop

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 17 Oct. 2015
excellent genuine Toshiba product, worked a treat and is more compact than my old charger

Good Beer Guide Belgium (Good Beer Guides)
Good Beer Guide Belgium (Good Beer Guides)
by Tim Webb

3.0 out of 5 stars good as a reference but take his opinions of the beers with a truck load of salt!, 1 April 2015
A great reference guide to let you know what beers are out there and where to get them. Lots of useful info on the breweries themselves, different regions, and events in the Belgium calender.

Sadly what spoils this book for me, is the ratings given to the different beers. I can't help but feel writer Tim Webb's taste buds are not what they used to be. I am a keen visitor to Belgium, having sampled in excess of 50 beers on my last trip, and someone who is soon to be in the business of Belgian beers, so I feel I can speak with some authority on the subject.

Many beers that my family, friends and I rate extremely highly are given a poultry 3/5.5, others which we consider very bland, poor examples are elevated to 4.5/5.5. Of course its only natural that everybody has different opinions, however when the famous multi-award winning Westvleteren 12, widely regarded to be THE best beer in the world, scored a mere 4.5/5.5, lower than numerous other much more forgettable beers, one must surely question the validity of his entire scoring system. For a much more well rounded opinion on taste, check out websites like ratebeer.com

Dirty Harry Collection [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dirty Harry Collection [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars A Blu ray to be proud of, 17 Nov. 2009
You can't be too careful buying Blu ray these days, as often they are purely a lazy money spinner and show no distinct improvement from the previous DVD version.

HOWEVER I am very pleased to say that this Dirty Harry Boxset has made the transition to Blu ray very well, picture and sound quality are both pretty impressive for films of this era. I had previously owned this boxset on VHS and DVD, but am certainly glad I pushed the boat out for the Blu ray version and would advise any other Dirty Harry fans to do the same.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2011 12:42 AM BST

Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans [Blu-ray]
Underworld: Rise Of The Lycans [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Michael Sheen
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Great film but awful on blu ray, 6 Aug. 2009
Speaking as a fan of all things underworld, if I was rating this as a film I would give it an easy 4-5/5 The story ties in nicely with the previous films and opens up new dimensions to familiar characters. Being a prequel you will probably know exactly where this film is going, but the journey there is certainly entertaining with lots of good action, FX, and acting along the way.

However if anyone is interested in watching this film, I strongly advise that you buy it on DVD not Blu Ray, as the quality is certainly the worst I have seen in any Blu ray title so far. I am astonished at how bad this film looks, particularly in any night time scenes, which is about 90% of them, especially when u consider just how good movies such as Zulu from the 1960's can look, when the transfer to Blu Ray is done responsibly.

In short this is a film well worth watching if you like the underworld saga, but your experience of the film will be ruined if you pay the extra money for the Blu Ray version which is not just satisfactory, it's downright dreadful!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2009 11:32 AM BST

Highlander - Endgame [DVD]
Highlander - Endgame [DVD]
Dvd ~ Adrian Paul
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars NO STARS AWARDED!, 5 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Highlander - Endgame [DVD] (DVD)
This is without even a shadow of a doubt, the absolute worst film of all time bar none!

I cannot imagine what possessed the studio to make this film, obviously just to make a fast buck off poor saps like me, that see the name 'highlander' and regard that as a mark of quality. I am a huge highlander fan and dearly love all 3 previous films, even highlander 2, which is a little too bizzare for most people's tastes. However I cannot stress how truely aweful Highlander Endgame is. A superb set of films has been tainted by this dreadful sequel, that in no way even attemps to align itself with the other films. There is no indication that the makers of this sequel ever sat down and watched the previous films, it appears to be based almost entirely on Highlander the series, but even if u are a fan of this, I would advise strong caution before purchasing this film.