Profile for Neil Jenkins > Reviews

Content by Neil Jenkins

Neil Jenkins (South West France)

Page: 1 | 2
Tobar Automatic 2 Deck Card Shuffler Machine - Includes 2 Packs of Playing Cards
Offered by Oxford Toy Store

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING!! This product DOES NOT SHUFFLE!!!!!!!, 27 Nov. 2015
WARNING!! This product DOES NOT SHUFFLE!!!!!!! The definition of "shuffle", whether you're at least a low-level card player or a dictionary definition, is to randomly order the cards so that their order is unknown and as random as possible. This machine, however, simply MERGES two groups of cards. In my sampling of its capabilities, it will swap every 12th-14th card with the card 3-4 places away. Sure, you could keep putting the cards through, I dunno, 50 times, to do an effective "shuffle". Even then, you'll end up with something that's similar with your previous 50 "shuffles". In a nutshell, this machine will fail over half an hour to achieve what you can do with your hands during one minute of traditional hand shuffling. If you want a machine to simply merge two packs of cards, then this is for you. If you want an automatic way to shuffle cards so that you can spend your shuffling time sipping wine whilst a machine does it for you, then don't bother. You'll be wasting your time and money. I was very naive thinking that this would shuffle for me. Of course it won't. Don't make the same schoolboy/girl error. Not only that, but the plastic of the machine was cracked upon arrival. I'm not even going to bother trying to send it back to the supplier. I'm just going to throw it in the bin and give myself a stern talking to for being so stupid to order this pile of utter rubbish in the first place.

Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card
Kingston Technology Micro SDHC 32GB Memory Card
Offered by NMicro Technology (ship from Taiwan 7-21 business days)

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after two years of use, 27 Sept. 2015
Worked well for two years, then just stopped working. I had it in my Samsung phone to house some of my music collection and for storing photos and videos. Recently my phone displayed the message that my SD card had been dismounted and it's never worked since. I've tried to mount it in two Windows PCs or two other Android devices, but it's always invisible. So, this afternoon I chucked it in the bin. And the lesson? Always assume that your SD storage is temporary and always back up what's on it.

Neo G MEDICAL GRADE JUMPERS KNEE PATELLA BAND STRAP - Knee Support with 'medical quality silicon pad'
Offered by Online Sports Support Store

2.0 out of 5 stars Silicone insert missing, so returning :-(, 11 Sept. 2015
This MIGHT have been OK, but it arrived without the silicone insert so is useless as is. So, within minutes of my opening the package I'm now arranging to send it back and get a refund. So frustrating. :-(
Comment Comment | Permalink

Gymboss Interval Timer and Stopwatch - VIOLET / PINK METALLIC GLOSS
Gymboss Interval Timer and Stopwatch - VIOLET / PINK METALLIC GLOSS
Offered by Gymboss EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Works but one digit display is faulty - Next is fine!, 29 Dec. 2014
I bought this for my partner for Christmas (2014) for her running training programme. The item does what she wants it to do and it only took her ten minutes of reading and playing to work out how to use it. Trouble is, the upper right-hand digit is faulty and is only partially displayed. I'd return it but she needs it NOW. So, I'm in the awkward position of considering buying a second one so she has a fully working one for the New Year.

UPDATE (04/01/2015): I bought my partner a new one which worked fine (she's used it a few times now). Regarding the faulty one, I contacted the seller and they were very good indeed. They asked me for some photos showing the fault and on the basis of that they issued a refund and asked me to simply dispose of the item (which I will when the refund appears on my bank statement). So, in the end, good product and a helpful and understanding seller. Rating raised from 3 to 5 stars! :-)

Half-Marathon: A Complete Guide for Women
Half-Marathon: A Complete Guide for Women
by Jeff Galloway

2.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for my partner who's training for a ..., 2 Dec. 2014
I bought this for my partner who's training for a half marathon in 3-4 months. However, she's greatly confused because the training programmes presented in table form throughout the book have the trainee running more (sometimes considerably more) than the half marathon distance within a few short weeks of the programmes' start. Even the basic programme for a runner "To Finish" (Chapter 10) has the trainee covering a distance of 14 miles a few weeks before the scheduled half marathon event. Either something's not right (miles stated when it should be kilometres?) or the techniques are flawed or too adventurous for mortals. Disappointing, as I bought this for her as a gift to help her motivation and it's just set her back.

Powerbar 2 No assembly Folds to just 30mm With New Design door frame protectors
Powerbar 2 No assembly Folds to just 30mm With New Design door frame protectors
Offered by RJH Product Development

3.0 out of 5 stars Check your door frame construction before purchasing, 24 Aug. 2014
I've been on the look-out for a pull-up/chin-up bar for some time. I don't have room for a free-standing chin-up frame so have been looking for doorway designs. For the most part, the designs available require some sort of mounting on the inside of a door frame and I didn't want to cause such damage. So when I saw the Powerbar 2 I thought it would be just the job - no mounting required and I could in principle use it in any doorway I fancied.

It arrived promptly via DPD and I set about trying it out. It doesn't require construction and is ready to go out of the box. My first problem, though, is that most of my internal doorways are 84-85cm across, which is a tad too wide for the Powerbar 2, but then the Amazon page for the item does say "Fits most doorways 680mm - 800mm" so I should have done some basic research beforehand. I do have one doorway that's only 77cm (my loo!) so that was fine to try it out. That's when I realised I had a second problem. Fitting the Powerbar 2 to the door frame as per the enclosed instructions, I gradually increased the weight on the top bar by hanging from it with both hands. Then I heard a CRACK! The top of the door frame on the other side (from where the Powerbar 2 hangs) came away from the rest of the door frame (which got me into a lot of trouble, I can tell you!). My door frames have separate sides and top with a wooden block at each corner. Therefore, when a downward force is applied to the top of the frame there's nothing to support it and it pulls way from the wall.

So, there it is. The Powerbar 2 cannot be used on any door frame in my house and so is useless to me. :-(

If you want to purchase this for yourself, please check two things first:

1. That you have a doorway in your house that is within the stated range 68cm to 80cm.

2. That the top of your door frame is part of the whole frame or sits over the door frame sides (see the pictures of the man demonstrating it in the Amazon page to see what I mean) such that a downward force applied to it will be supported by the side frames.

I thought about returning the item and asking for my money back, but actually it's not the Powerbar 2 that's at fault. Regarding the door frame size, it's stated clearly and I should have thought about that. Regarding the door frame construction, it could be argued that there should be some mention of this on the Powerbar 2's Amazon page. Then again, it could be argued that I should have thought about the physics of it (being a physicist!) and realised the high risk of the purchase.

So, before you spend £30 for the item and its postage, make sure you consider all of the above.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 29, 2016 10:36 PM GMT

Mares Puck Pro Wrist Scuba Diving Computer
Mares Puck Pro Wrist Scuba Diving Computer
Offered by scubaonline de

4.0 out of 5 stars Great dive computer, but ..., 6 Aug. 2013
This item arrived from the seller (gute Angebote Alltag) promptly and as described, with the USB transfer kit I'd asked for. Two issues presented themselves, however (neither of which I contacted the seller about, to be fair). Firstly, the installation CD seems only to allow you to install Italian versions of the software, and it wasn't very obvious what you had to install anyway as you're presented with a list of applications along the bottom of the screen, none of which you know anything about. Even when I specifically chose English as my language it installed the Italian version of the software! I went through the Mares website and couldn't find a link to the English software. Eventually, I Googled for it and found a link back to an obscure part of the Mares website from where I was able to perform a successful installation. Cost me a whole evening. Mares really need to look at that! Secondly, there were already three dives in the computer's dive log when out of the box. I'm guessing these were some sort of post-manufacturing test as one of them had an ascent rate of 99m/h from a depth of 50m (which would no doubt have killed the wearer!). I've yet to find a way of deleting these so they're still in the computer sitting alongside my own dives. Not a problem, as such, just something appearing in my log that I haven't done. These problems aside, though, I'm so far pleased with my Mares Puck Pro after trying it out on three confined water dives. I'll be giving it a proper test this coming weekend (at the time of writing) when I take it on some open water dives off the English south coast. The single button approach doesn't take you too long to get used to and I'm sure it'll become quite intuitive in a short time. I'm glad I purchased it, but I do wish it was easier to set up the software and didn't have to worry about odd stuff in the dive log.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2013 2:00 PM BST

50 x AG10 1.5V Alkaline Button Batteries SR1130, SR54, SR1131, 389, 390
50 x AG10 1.5V Alkaline Button Batteries SR1130, SR54, SR1131, 389, 390
Offered by New-Sales

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and OK, 25 Mar. 2013
These were cheap, arrived promptly and the batteries do their job, although they don't last as long as the more expensive batteries I had previously. But, for the money, they're just fine.

CNL BLUE GEL S LINE SLIM COVER CASE SKIN FOR THE SONY XPERIA J MOBILE PHONE
CNL BLUE GEL S LINE SLIM COVER CASE SKIN FOR THE SONY XPERIA J MOBILE PHONE

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job!, 25 Mar. 2013
I bought this as protection for my new, shiny Sony Xperia J phone. And protect it does! And what's more, it also looks great and, on top, it has very useful and welcome rough grip strips down each side making it very easy to handle the phone without running the risk of dropping it or it slipping out of my fingers like a wet fish. A minor criticism is that it makes the on/off/sleep button harder to press (you really have to dig the end of your finger in to activate it) but I quickly learnt to live with this and don't find it an issue. I am very happy, and a seriously considering getting another one as a spare or a colour change option.

James May's Man Lab Series One [DVD]
James May's Man Lab Series One [DVD]
Dvd ~ James May

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous stuff, 25 Mar. 2013
This is the great first series of 'Man Lab'. James May and his band of proper, upstanding chaps tell the world how chaps should behave and tries to equip them with the skills all chaps should practice. Delivered in an entertaining and light-hearted manner, this is something all western men should watch!

Page: 1 | 2