Profile for K. Annamalai > Reviews

Content by K. Annamalai

K. Annamalai "Kalyan" (London)

Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
Head First Object-Oriented Analysis and Design: A Brain Friendly Guide to OOA&D
by Brett McLaughlin

2.0 out of 5 stars I didnt like it, 28 Jan. 2011
I think I have mistaken the title of this book. I was expecting a lot of object oriented principles to be explained in great detail. Instead the book is filled with "Requirement Gathering and Requirement Analysis" details and it is explained using trivial examples. Only small portion of the book covers object oriented principles.

I did learn something from this book. But, to me, there should be much better books on OOP and wouldn't recommend this book if you are looking for object oriented principles.

Like all other Head First it is funny, irritating and easy to read and you can finish it quickly. I guess this isn't a veryyyy bad book, but it's definitely not good either.

Head First Design Patterns
Head First Design Patterns
by Eric Freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 24 Jan. 2011
Wonderful book to read about Design Patterns. All the chapters are well written and easy to understand except Factory and Compound pattern. One of the best from Head First. One will definitely keep turning the pages.

I didnt like the organisation of the chapters. It keeps jumping between Structural, Behavioral and Creational patterns. There is no clue on how the chapters are organised. Though it makes you keep reading, it also makes you loose focus because the subject is explained using pizza, chocolate, coffee, tea, duck, monkey, donkey, ect... I should not complain it because the whole intension of the book is to explain a complex subject in a comical way.

The book itself claims that it is not a complete design pattern book and should be considered only as preamble for design patterns. It advises to read a proper design pattern book, preferably the book by GoF.

It is very much true. I tried reading GoF few years back but I felt it was too complex and lost interest. Now I have full confidence to read the book again.

Effective Java: Second Edition
Effective Java: Second Edition
by Joshua Bloch

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 24 Jan. 2011
Great Book. Ideally the name of the book should be "Effective Programming using Java". The book is about how to program well using Java.

Its not a regular Java book which describes the Java language syntaxes, its not a book about design, its not a book about coding style. Its something different.The book is not for beginners. To get the fullest out of the book, you must have good knowledge on the Java language and you must have involved in developing couple of applications (excluding maintenance and tinkering and punchering) and you must be confused.

Whenever confused, we always look at the existing code and follow the idioms used there. There is no wrong in doing it. But many times we don't realize the reasoning behind each idiom. This books clears everything that you would expect. It not only explains the best practice but also when to use it and when not to use it.

Core Java, Volume II--Advanced Features (8th Edition): 2 (Sun Core Series)
Core Java, Volume II--Advanced Features (8th Edition): 2 (Sun Core Series)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so great, 16 Nov. 2010
After reading Core Java - Volume I, my expectation towards this book was very high. The book indeed covers many advance topic, which is very nice. But I felt most (or all) of the topics are explained very very easier and simpler in Sun official tutorial than this book, which is disappointing me.

Even very simple topics are explained using a huge Swing programs. 25% of the book is full of Swing programs. Instead of Swing programs the author could have opted for normal non-GUI sample program.

Obviously the book is not too bad but I expected more than this and according to me it didn't meet volume I standard.

Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0
Mastering Enterprise JavaBeans 3.0
by Rima Patel Sriganesh

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good. Full of dry and dull theory, 16 Nov. 2010
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I have this book for more than 3 months and every time I try to read this book I end up with disappointment. The book is full of dull n dry theories and not at all interesting to read. This book gives a feeling that EJB is very difficult topic to learn and understand, which is not true. There are much better books for EJB 3 in the market.

Core Java: Fundamentals v. 1
Core Java: Fundamentals v. 1
by Cay S. Horstmann

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 6 Sept. 2010
The book is really good. covering every basic concept completely. But I think the book is suitable only for experienced programmer who already have some experience and knowledge in Java. I'm really satisfied buying this book.

Sekonda Model 3905.27 Gents Sports Style Bracelet Watch
Sekonda Model 3905.27 Gents Sports Style Bracelet Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Super look, 30 May 2010
I got this watch as a gift to my cousin. This watch looks much better than shown in pic. Really worth the price.