Profile for andy-biblefish > Reviews

My Mind Is Out to Get Me: Humor And Wisdom In Recovery
My Mind Is Out to Get Me: Humor And Wisdom In Recovery
by Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate lifesaver, 31 Jan. 2003
I try always to have this book at home and selfishly never lend it. The reason - it has been of great help when I was recovering from my last "wet" relapse. It contains short, witty and extremely to the point sayings: short so you can read them before the shakes make you drop the book, humorous for when you're disgusted with yourself, and to the point 'cause this is a serious, deadly illness. I hope never to feel like that last time but to continue using this book to show off at meetings (has anyone said anything about humility?).

Living Sober
Living Sober
by Inc. Alcoholics Anonymous World Services

5.0 out of 5 stars And now for something practical, 31 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Living Sober (Paperback)
In contrast to The Big Book, this one tells you how other AAs manage not to take that first drink. Without underestimating the importance of spiritual progress, I first read this book to help me get through the first weeks, and then Alcoholics Anonymous to get the whole picture. It worked for me. This is a must for a recovering drunk, possibly accompanied by *My mind is out to get me*

Notes from a Small Island (Audiobook)
Notes from a Small Island (Audiobook)
by Bill Bryson
Edition: Audio Cassette

4.0 out of 5 stars You wouldn't like this guy if you met him socially ..., 31 Jan. 2003
... 'cause he complains all the time. However, since he is complaining about the Brits, he's OK. Now, seriously: I have this book both in the printed and the audio version (read by K. Shale) and I strongly recommend the latter. Certain puns and humorous expressions are more hilarious if you hear them instead of reading. This work does not yet reach the heights of humour that *A Walk in the Woods* does, but it is really pleasant and keeps the reader engaged by its personal tone. Quite fun, really.

Antz [DVD] [1998]
Antz [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Woody Allen
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Woody-the-Toon, 31 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Antz [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
You wouldn't have thought anyone could beat Woody Allen, but it has been done: an animated Woody is even better than the real one! The film is, in my opinion, for adults, as the kids may miss the references (some verbal, some visual) to totalitarian regimes, mad generals "getting obscene at young blood" etc. As an example: the severed head scene would be tragic, were it not so ridiculus. The animation is obviously great (with the water drop probably the most imaginative scene). But this is mainly pure, unadulterated fun, with Ant Z feeling "... so insignificant. - You've made real progress: you ARE insignificant." and the aristocratic WASPs having "certain obligations toward the less priviledged insects".

A Prayer For Owen Meany
A Prayer For Owen Meany
by John Irving

5.0 out of 5 stars Godly laughter, 31 Jan. 2003
I kept laughing reading this book, until I reached the ending. A strong suggestion - don't peek into the last pages prematurely. This is one of the few stories I've encountered that manage to (not so much explain as) convey the sense of Catholicism, or religion, to me. It deals with religion in a light-hearted, humane and humorous way, with a touch of ridicule here and there, showing the fallible human nature in God's servants. Great fun, except my wife couldn't bear it, while she loves everything else by Irwing.

One for the Money (Penguin Lead Fiction)
One for the Money (Penguin Lead Fiction)
by Carol Clewlow

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book about substance abuse and the point of life, 9 May 2002
To anyone who has ever had a bit too much of the good stuff, this book is food for thought. Not only is it enjoyable and the pace never lets down, but it will make you re-consider the sense of life. The leading character/narrator is drawn extremely well and easy to identify with. It's about sex, drugs and rock'n'roll, but also about hedonist pleasure versus serenity. I re-read it every year and always find something in it.