Profile for M. K. TAYLOR > Reviews

Halo: Nightfall [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Mike Colter
Offered by Not2day Media

2.0 out of 5 stars I had had no idea...., 7 Nov. 2015
I'll be honest - I was given this for free.

I had no idea about the Halo concept other than it's a video game, A shoot'em up?

OK I thought, Ridley Scott's attached his name, it has soldiers so maybe a sort of Aliens ish type of film?

All starts well on such and such a planet as the team of soldiers pursues an OK looking alien. All good so far.

Then we move to a Halo fragment, all the soldiers are armed to the teeth, and there's a mysterious looking structure off in the distance, here we go I thought....

BUT

we then spend the balance of the 'film' in the company of a bunch of soldiers who either come over as unlikely or fail to make an impact as they slowly get picked off. Plus the soldiers have to ditch most of their tech very early on as it attracts some badly CGI'd work things and then go of stomping about a quarry for whatever reason.

Dull to watch, dull to right about, avoid - unless you get given it for free as well.

for what

Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace [DVD] [1967]
Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK but most importantly it's here at last!, 5 Nov. 2015
WARNING: contains 2 episodes only with the other two consisting of soundtracks only with some off air photos from the 60's to fill you in on what was happening.

The good stuff?
- this is likely yo be the final Doctor Who release from the original 63 to 89 series. There is literally nothing left to release.
- This is only Pat Troughtons third story and it's interesting to see him more or less making choices about how to play the Doctor, just a few short episodes latter and he would have nailed it but this isn't 100% the 2nd Doc that we are used to.

The bad stuff?
- the missing two episodes :(
- the story line iiiiis rubbish! Whilst it's nice to have and completes the set as well as it can, if you are perhaps a parent looking to brighten up a young Who fans Christmas with an early Doctor story then only get this one if all of the others have been bought first (even the Krotons is better than this....sort of!).

The Equalizer [Blu-ray] [2014]
The Equalizer [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Denzel Washington

5.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to hate it, couldn't, 5 Nov. 2015
I wanted to hate this, I really did. I loved the original series and hated the idea that they had just lifted the name, but then I watched it.

Good stuff!

Yeah OK - this is not the McCall that we knew from the 80's but what they have done is they've really boiled down the central premise and taken the essential flavour of the idea and applied it to something fresh. It's a horrible 21st Century term but this is a reboot, actually it's a re-imagining, but unlike so many others (Robocop, Star Trek etc) this one actually managed to entertain me for 2 hours.

The Changes (2-Disc DVD Set)
The Changes (2-Disc DVD Set)
Dvd ~ Victoria Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars Standing on the Outside, 19 July 2015
This review is from: The Changes (2-Disc DVD Set) (DVD)
Standing on the Outside

I always wonder about those people who give a product a one or a two star rating when everybody else seems to be up in the 4s and 5s. What is it like being on the outside looking in?

This time I am that person.

Now before I begin I have to say that I remember watching this when I was little and finding it really frightening and I have tons of stuff from the 50's and right up to day.

I have to conclude that (for me) this hasn't aged well and I have.

The music - mid 70's electronic from Paddy Kingsland who would later go on to score Hitch Hikers here seems hideously simple and undermines drama at every turn.

The acting - Just about everybody tries their best buy are let down by..

The pace - these days TV is arguably too fast but this plods terribly, I have a 1950's Quatermass series that has a better pace than this.

The Plot - what there is of it - something makes humanity turn against technology, the rest of the story is a slow plod about the UK until a very resolution is found.

Yes it was a kids TV drama series but just about anything was better than this.

I don't like being left outside...it's lonely and dull.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 8, 2015 7:11 AM BST

Chappie [Blu-ray]
Chappie [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Dev Patel
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars but I can't remember why?, 11 July 2015
This review is from: Chappie [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
5 stars but I can't remember why?

I'm rating this as I felt about it right after finishing watching it. My thought throughout the film was - wow this is good (and sooo much better than ex-Machina).

I'm going to stick to my five stars because that reflects how I felt as I watched it but here are the things that could have (should have?) dragged it down.

The film has Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver in it. It's been about two weeks since I watched the film and I have to say they are literally forgettable as I couldn't remember who the big names actors were in the film. All other actors are competent but nobody feels that stretched by the material.

The robot himself is convincing enough but is reduced by the story that sees him educated into the world.

It all shouldn't work but underneath it all is - what would happen to an AI in this world? Whilst this perhaps wasn't the story that I wanted to see it was perhaps probably what would happen to an AI. The concept is far more interesting than the execution and I think is was the thought process that I went on that was most entertaining to me.

Part Robocop (but not - he isn't used as part of the Police), part ex_machina (but much less dull) and part Short Circuit (Chappie is aliiiive!) it's an odd mix, maybe a love or hate it film?

Me - I loved it...although I haven't got a huge urge to see it again.

Star Trek:  The Next Generation - Season 1-7 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1-7 [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Patrick Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are going to buy this..., 5 July 2015
then you are already a Star Trek fan.

Chances are the only thing you will care about is - is the picture quality worth it.

Answer - YES!

The restoration on this is down to the second (literally on a few occasions we are told that an occasional ep contains 20 secs of unrestored/HD footage.

Apart from picture quality you will also note that the planets have been replaced to the point of now having noticeable atmospheres. Apart from that there is just one model shot which has been tweaked to change the direction that a Klingon ship is pointing (it now points in the right direction!).

All the old DVD special features look to be present and correct Plus some new ones when everybody looks suddenly older. Watch out for the price but you can get this for a bargain after all this time and you'll be perfectly happy.

Make it so!

Not Going Out - Series 7 [DVD]
Not Going Out - Series 7 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee Mack

3.0 out of 5 stars Start with series 4 - not this one., 5 July 2015
This is Not Going Out that is slightly off the boil, encouragingly (since there will either be another series of NOT or a spin off series) the series has found it's feet again after a missable series 6. It's a while Since Tim Vine left but it's in this series we finally have a replacement played by Hugh Dennis.

Other than that it's the usual barrage of gags, most work, some don't and the end feels slightly tacked on. Mack had said that this would be the final series and I'm guessing he only decided that fairly late in the writing process.

It's OK but not the best, buy series 4 if you've never watched before and want a taster and then buy the rest in order if you enjoy what you see.

The New Who Programme Guide
The New Who Programme Guide
by Paul Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit Pointless?, 5 July 2015
Bit Pointless?

The main issue with this book is that it's a reference book to about the same level as the average internet site. But the average internet sites jumps all over this book as you can quickly search for information and make links with other bits. Where book reference wins over the Internet is when it uses high quality images, and this has no images, let alone high quality ones.

The book is very thorough from The 1996 TV Movie through to the end of Matt Smiths time but looking at the book I find I could cheerfully have lived without it.

For those that have to have everything only the time for books like this is long gone.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2017 12:52 PM GMT

It Follows [Blu-ray]
It Follows [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Maika Monroe

3.0 out of 5 stars By the Pricking of my Thumbs..., 5 July 2015
This review is from: It Follows [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
something wicked this way comes.

The ultimate STD means that get intimate with the wrong person and you'll be stalked by something nasty until you either pass it on or IT catches and nastily kills you.

A very strong idea becomes rather one note after a while and the sadly most of the young cast don't convince. But it's still worth catching as the IT is rather disturbing.

Papo 55027 "Gren Running T-Rex" Figure
Papo 55027 "Gren Running T-Rex" Figure
Offered by MMP Living

4.0 out of 5 stars No Good as a toy, 7 April 2015
Think of this more as an ornament and you can't go wrong.

The only thing that is articulated is the jaw. Looking at the materials used this would fail fairly quickly in younger hands and because of the lack of articulation would lack play value.

As a dino fan though I love it apart from maybe too much green in its colouring.

Page: 1 | 2