Profile for DA Re-Enactor > Reviews

Content by DA Re-Enactor

DA Re-Enactor "Finicky DA Re-Enactor" (UK)

Nytol Anti-Snoring Throat Spray, 50ml
Nytol Anti-Snoring Throat Spray, 50ml

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll be buying more., 21 May 2014
Doesn't get rid of all of my snoring but certainly has made a significant improvement. Could do with a nicer flavour.

Eco-Nique Natural Hemp Brown Case Cover for 6-inch Amazon Kindle 3/Global Wireless - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Niiiiice..., 3 Feb. 2012
I bough this as I liked the idea of the fabric cover and the covering itself is very nice.
It is a great pity about the fake leather flaps on the inside which make it look tacky when opened.

It has provided some protection against damage from most angles but it fell upside down at one stage and the screen broke as there isn't that much holding it in place from that angle.

Overall I am pleased and would buy it again but would have paid more for a version with real leather inside.

The Great Warbow
The Great Warbow
by Robert Hardy

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and Informative, 10 July 2011
This review is from: The Great Warbow (Hardcover)
This is one book I rank very highly.

Whilst initially a formidable tome due to its size, it nethertheless was, for me, a book I found hard to put down until I had finished it in its entirety.

Easy to read and presents information in a manner that is entertaining and with enough information to keep people like myself happy (for the most part). I would imagine that some sections (such as the one on arrow penetration on armour) may become a trifle dull for someone (lots of data), for myself I found it greatly informative.

I found the pictures supported the text well and provided interesting depictions. The experiment undertaken and reported by the authors at the very end of the book, was a highlight.

Gripes: I would have liked more repetition in the experiment with heavier arrows.

The Anglo-Saxon Shield
The Anglo-Saxon Shield
by I.P. Stephenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Why are there not more books like this?, 10 July 2011
This review is from: The Anglo-Saxon Shield (Paperback)
I ordered this book after looking at a friend's copy and I wish there were more books like it.

I found the information contained within useful and the discussions and arguments generally quite even-handed. I particularly found the information on the construction of an AS shield quite interesting and it helped me greatly change my opinion of shield construction.

If I had to gripe, I should have liked to have seen a little more information such as scale on some of the diagrams and would have liked to have a little more data on the shield finds themselves, perhaps in an appendix, but it does provide a nice gazetteer of shield burials as a springboard to further research which I found a nice touch.

Overall I think this a great reference and would love to see a similar book on Viking shields.

The Whale Road (The Oathsworn Series, Book 1)
The Whale Road (The Oathsworn Series, Book 1)
by Robert Low

3.0 out of 5 stars Likeable but with Annoying Flaws, 5 July 2011
I was looking forward to reading this on a recommendation from a friend and after speaking briefly to the auther at a Viking event.

Overall it was good read and I have continued to read the series but I wasn't driven to to do so. The most recent book (Prow Beast) sits on my shelf unread as yet and the one before languished on the same shelf for many months before I got around to reading it.

I enjoy the writing style, a bit raw, and whilst the characters are flawed, and brutal and not guaranteed to survive.

What really annoyed me however, and prevented me from giving it a higher rating was the annoying illogical ideas introduced into the story. These moved the tale rapidly from a historical novel into fantasy. Those who have read the section on with the longships oars being used creatively will understand the absolutely ridulous nature of the idea.

That and the combat scenes being horribly influenced by the limitations of the sport-like combat of historical reenactment groups.

A little more logic being applied to these scenes would have made the book a better read in my opinion, but I am aware that some do not care.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 15, 2011 7:25 PM BST

Dinosaur Secrets (Jurassic Fight Club): Season 1 [DVD]
Dinosaur Secrets (Jurassic Fight Club): Season 1 [DVD]

3.0 out of 5 stars Violent yet childish commentary, 23 Oct. 2010
Nice to see these dinosaurs and whilst the animation (particularly when interacting with their enviroments and the fur/eyes of the mammals) isn't up the standard of other show like Walking with Dinosaurs, it still has it's interesting moments.

The episodes are too long for the commentary which tends to repeat itself. The could have been half as long and missed very little of the commentary and made the repetition of the footage less obvious.

'Dinosaur George' has a particulary annoying manner of speaking to the the viewer as though they are 10 years old, yet the footage is rather bloody and gory.

It's ok, but could have been better.

Viking Weapons and Warfare
Viking Weapons and Warfare
by John Kim Siddorn

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a Bad Read for a Beginning Re-Enactor, 29 Oct. 2007
Not a bad effort. Some aspects are quite good but there are flaws (most notably in the section on bows). These I noticed due to an interest so I therefore dubious of the quality of other information provided by the primary author.

Still it gives a general view although strongly biased towards DA re-enactment in the UK, which is to be expected. It fails to address more recent advances in re-enactment historical combat and instead gives a general view of standard combat with no real genuine insights into the use. This is unfortunately particularly notable in the use of the shield where the reconstruction section give patently false information where the first part of the chapter was superlative. If this book has stuck to such at the first part of the shield chapter, it would have been a great work, but instead it is flawed.

All in all it is certainly better than buying an Osprey book, but be wary of inaccuracies that need to be cross-referenced which is not a bad habit for a re-enactor to get into anway.