Profile for M. Kane > Reviews

Wild
Wild
by Emily Hughes

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, quirky book, 10 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Wild (Hardcover)
My 18 month old picked this book out in the bookshop, and it remains her favourite four months and close to a hundred readings later. Luckily it's enjoyable enough to read that I'm not sick of it yet! The illustrations are beautiful and detailed and the story is fun and unexpected. A feral child is "rescued", but finds that people do everything wrong so she wrecks her adopted home and escapes back to the forest.

The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-be
The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-be
by Armin Brott

3.0 out of 5 stars Too US-oriented, 7 Mar. 2011
The content in this book isn't bad, but I found the slightly cloying style quite irritating. However, the main problem with it from a UK perspective is that a lot of it is very US-specific. As you would expect, whole chapter on money is irrelevant, but also a great deal of other information about medical practice, paternity leave and more is not applicable. Obviously the biological processes are the same, but overall I'd suggest getting a book published in the UK.

How to Hold a Crocodile
How to Hold a Crocodile
by Diagram Group

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book as a child, 30 Aug. 2008
When I was eight, my dad bought me a copy of the old edition of this book and it utterly captivated me. I would spend days poring over it, trying out the tips and projects in it, whether making dandelion wine or climbing through playing cards. I made my parents promise that if I died, they would make sure that I would be mummified according to the instructions in the book. There was probably no other single item that gave me as much entertainment. Even now, over twenty years later, I enjoy the bizarre and meticulously illustrated trivia in it, and look forward to one day passing it on to my own children. I don't think I'll ever manage to become Pope though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2009 11:30 PM BST