Profile for Margaret Moris > Reviews

The Wartime Kitchen and Garden
The Wartime Kitchen and Garden
by Jennifer Davies

5.0 out of 5 stars l was not disappointed., 19 Jun. 2016
I remember the TV series and wanted the book that accompanied it. l was not disappointed.

The Holy Woman
The Holy Woman

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for anyone wishing to learn more about Pakistan and it's culture., 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Holy Woman (Kindle Edition)
This book was Qaisra Shahraz's debut novel, and in my opinion, is a thoroughly excellent read. This is the first of a family saga that explores love, life, religion and femininity in rural Pakistan, and displays the fantastic weaving of character, landscape and circumstance that seem to come so naturally to this author.
The main character is Zarri Bano, a woman who finally falls in love and wants to get married after several years of turning down suitors. However, tragedy occurs and she is forced to become a Holy Woman (married to the Quran) by her father, so their wealth stays within the family. The story follows the effects of this decision on her, and those around her.
I was thoroughly impressed by this book, as not only does it give the reader an incredible insight into life in Pakistan and issues commonly faced by women there, it causes the reader to really think about similar issues they may face in their own respective countries too.
This book is a very intelligent, yet thoroughly entertaining read, that is very hard to put down. It is an absolute must read for anyone wishing to learn more about Pakistan and it's culture.

The Inn at the Top: Tales of Life at the Highest Pub in Britain
The Inn at the Top: Tales of Life at the Highest Pub in Britain

5.0 out of 5 stars Had me in stitches of laughter, 10 Feb. 2014
This book was serialised in the Dalesman - but there is much more than the excepts printed there which had whetted my appetite. I made the mistake of reading this in bed on my Kindle. My frequent laughter annoyed my husband who had to wait until I had finished reading it before he too could read it! Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2015 1:47 PM BST

Typhoon
Typhoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Typhoon (Kindle Edition)
Typhoon is the second instalment of the gripping family saga written by bestselling novelist Qaisra Shahraz, and the first of her works that I ever read. The story follows three young women, and like the authors' first novel ‘The Holy Woman’, details the trials and tribulations of life in rural Pakistan.
Although I read this saga 'out of order', I still found it very easy to immerse myself in this story, despite it being begun in an earlier book. The descriptive style, colorful characters and imaginative plot makes this book very hard to put down. As a reader, I felt transported to a different time, place and culture with such skill that I felt as if I had really been there.
Typhoon gave me insights and exposure into the culture of Pakistan and Muslim religion that I have yet to discover anywhere else. Like 'The Holy Woman', this is essential reading for anyone who wants to learn more about these things, without the added 'colouring' we experience so often when hearing about Pakistan through Western media. Highly recommended.

Salvation
Salvation

3.0 out of 5 stars Too crowded, 18 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Salvation (Kindle Edition)
This book left me vaguely irritated especially at the end. It seems the author wanted to cram in every aspect of life in the reign of Elizabeth I. Recusancy, the theatre, Walsingham and his spies, the position of women . When just towards at the end of the book the hero joined the English fleet to fight the Armada I felt it was one topic too far. Any one of the topics above could have formed a credible background to a novel with time for fuller development of characters. I don't think I will be looking out for any other books by this author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2013 7:15 AM GMT

Revolt
Revolt

5.0 out of 5 stars This book had me gripped from the first page., 28 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Revolt (Kindle Edition)
It is a multi-faceted, multi-layed story of love and loss, finding and loosing. Centreing on the forthcoming wedding of two rich cousins the action moves from Pakistan to England and back again. However the families in their grand houses have problems no amount of money can solve. A daughter lost by an impulsive marriage, an aunt who pines for a lost love and a bridegroom who has the biggest problem of them all. Underpinning the action is always the need to resolve the tension caused by conflict between traditional Pakistani Muslim values and modern Western ones

The families in the big houses are supported by a fascinating cast of villagers: Begum, the housekeeper, Zeinab, the quilt maker, Rukhsar, the goldsmith‘s wife and especially Masi Fiza, the laundry woman and purveyor of juicy gossip ,who always manages to be where the action is. Qaisra’s cast of characters keeps us enthalled as the action unfolds and the tensions between them all play out and are finally resolved.

Marware Atlas Kindle Cover, Black (fits Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle and Kindle Touch)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does all it says, 10 Sept. 2013
This item had good reviews so I decided to buy it. It does all that was promised at a reasonable price; nothing fancy.