Profile for cb > Reviews

Content by cb

cb (Birmingham, England)

A Dream Of Sadler's Wells (Piccolo Books)
A Dream Of Sadler's Wells (Piccolo Books)
by Lorna Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Another all time favourite, 17 Jun. 2002
I love this book so much, I think I'd still take it on a desert island with me if I were only allowed to take one book. I've loved this book for about 15 years and I've probably read it more often than any of my other favourite books (and that's saying a lot).
The love story between Sebastian and Veronica is wonderful, and still makes me shiver when I read it. My second favourite Wells book would have to be Veronica at the Wells (more of Sebastian and Veronica), then Ella at the Wells and then Vicky in Venice. I also love all of the other Wells books now I come to think of it! You should definitely read them all...

The Beckoning Hills (The Quantocks Quartet)
The Beckoning Hills (The Quantocks Quartet)
by Ruth Elwin Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourites, 17 Jun. 2002
The Beckoning Hills has been one of my favourite books for over 10 years now. I've read all of the Quantock Quartet books, but this one is by far the best, although the first one I read was the Silent Shore - the Dividing Sea and Beyond the Orchid House didn't appear until years later and I only found them by accident.
Every time I read the Beckoning Hills I get a tingling spine (I'm a bit of a sucker for romantic books - not the sort of books where there's non-stop romance, but the sort where there's a thread of romance running all the way through but other stories around the romance).
If you like the love story between Anne Shirley and Gilbert Blythe then you'll love the romance between Frances and Gabriel - althought possibly I just like leading men to have a name beginning with a 'G'.
You should definitely read this book no matter how old you are - you'll love it.