Profile for M. Franklin > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
A Walk Through Hell
A Walk Through Hell

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a book I won't forget, 9 Sept. 2017
I completed this book in one sitting, which is almost unheard of for me. This is the fascinating account of the life of a Veteran and author spoken from the heart. If you're interested in the lives of those who protect our nations, interested in life in Texas, or just want a surprising and touching book to read then I highly recommend this. I am a fan of the author's fiction books too, which are very well written.

The Hunted Tribe: Book 1: Declaration of War
The Hunted Tribe: Book 1: Declaration of War

5.0 out of 5 stars A very entertaining story, 21 May 2017
Gripping from the very first page this is an excellent book. I won't give the storyline away here as I found the way the story unfolds to be a true delight -it's best just to start reading this story and become swept up in it. There are some powerful scenes in this book which are tense and memorable. A thrilling and very enjoyable read, I would also recommend this book to any authors out there who are looking to learn from a well structured book to hone their own craft.

Unfleshed
Unfleshed

5.0 out of 5 stars Raw and intense, 6 May 2017
This review is from: Unfleshed (Kindle Edition)
This memorable story catalogues the dark side of humanity with themes of betrayal, torture and revenge running right through it, bound together with an important and imaginative common thread. The writing style is raw and from the heart which somehow suits this book. Be warned, the violence and language is extremely graphic, so this is not for everybody.

Prehistoric WWII
Prehistoric WWII

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic story -Highly recommended, 1 May 2017
This review is from: Prehistoric WWII (Kindle Edition)
This is an excellent book. The action scenes play like something out of a blockbuster movie, tense and vivid. The characters are engaging and well realised. There is a lot of delightful surprises and plot twists in this story, and one sub-plot in particular (which I won't spoil) is a brilliant idea. The writing style is immersive. I also really appreciate the level of research that went into this book, such as life aboard a U-boat and the different dinosaur types. This is a real pleasure to read.

The Horror Squad: An Apocalyptic Tale
The Horror Squad: An Apocalyptic Tale

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent zombie story from a soldier's view, 17 April 2017
Where this author really shines is in his description of action. His background as a professional soldier brings the action scenes to life in a way few authors can accomplish. Having said that I also really enjoyed the two parallel story lines which cleverly give you the back story of the characters as well as telling an engaging story of the zombie apocalypse. The author has a distinctive and powerful voice that enhances an already great story. A highly recommended read.

Morbid Hearts: Dead Hearts, Book 1
Morbid Hearts: Dead Hearts, Book 1
Offered by Audible Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Vivid and engaging, 14 April 2017
This book has soldiers, bikers and zombies -and that's only the beginning! I won't spoil the rest but the storyline is genuinely surprising and takes the zombie genre in an inventive and interesting new direction. Apart from being an enjoyable read I would also recommend this book to aspiring writers as the actual writing craft is very strong and demonstrates good structure, pacing and dialogue. Recommended.

Citizen's Guide to Stopping Suicide Attackers, The: Secrets of an Israeli Counterterrorist
by Itay Gil

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 1 Mar. 2011
Mr Itay Gil is the man responsible for training the Israeli Special Forces and Special Police, as well as being a career combative (and still currently serving) in these groups. Here in his book he has distilled hundreds of pages of research, security footage and his personal front line experience in to an easily accessible guide. The writing is brief but to the point and heavy with meaning, and there are many pictures to convey the important ideas expressed here. His tone is at once engaging and informative, like you are being spoken to by a trusted colleague.

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in self defence or to any person who just wants some insight in to a different and much more dangerous world.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2011 4:48 PM BST

Christina Design London Stainless Steel Gents 12 Diamond Strap Watch
Christina Design London Stainless Steel Gents 12 Diamond Strap Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful watch, 21 Dec. 2010
If you are looking for a watch that will make men dribble with envy and fear and make women un-questioningly rip off their clothes and hurl themselves at you then perhaps this is not the right watch for you. However, it is still an excellent buy.

It looks much better in real life than the photo here. The watch is comfortable and simple but extremely stylish so that it is appropriate for every day wear as well as formal occasions. I consider this watch to be great value even at full price and as it stands it looks as though it is worth more than £1000.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2011 5:12 AM GMT

The Illusionist [DVD] [2010]
The Illusionist [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Jean-Claude Donda

1.0 out of 5 stars Delusionist, 19 Dec. 2010
This review is from: The Illusionist [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
After seeing The Illusionist I immediately reported to my local Crisis Centre, but they refused to see me as a patient on the grounds I only "felt" as though I had been violated because Sylvain Chomet had taken £6 off me to see this dreadful movie.

I mean, if there's one movie I expected to be uplifting or at least "light" then it would have to be an animated movie about a magician. Instead what I got was a depressing tale that made me feel like a lesser person for having seen it.

It is true that the animation is fairly unusual and there is some fun in seeing Edinburgh's streets and saying "hey, I know where that is," but then straight away there's a problem if the backgrounds to a movie are more interesting than the story and what's happening with the characters. The female lead came across as selfish and I wish the Illusionist himself had some backbone. Overall I would say the most sympathetic character was the moody rabbit who I was genuinely worried had been eaten.

I personally found the trailers to be misleading -I thought the film would be about how the Illusionist could see magic in every day life, such as when he is crossing the road and he sees the twin headlights of a car speeding towards him, only to find that it's actually two motorcycles that pass by harmlessly. I would have preferred to see a lot more ideas like that.

The groundwork was set for all the struggling performers to unite and form a successful show together, and really in an animated film that kind of ending is appropriate, even if it is predictable. In fact, the only way this film could be more depressing would be if the female lead was sold in to an underground slavery ring, the Illusionist was done for child abuse, and the whole film was set to a "slit-your-wrist" type sound track like Leonard Cohen.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2014 10:55 PM GMT

Mind, Body And Kick Ass Moves [DVD]
Mind, Body And Kick Ass Moves [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mind Body and Kick Ass Moves
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars How to become a fool of the highest calibre, 28 July 2010
I have often thought of becoming a martial arts legend and watching a dvd series seemed like the logical first step of launching myself from an average joe to a gold belt Matrix Jedi. The moves are easily laid out in this boxed set in an entertaining style, and Crudelli will show you such wisdom as the "water fall training," where after standing under a freezing water fall you'll then gain the psychic ability to detect anyone behind you who wants to attack you ("satki", I think it was called, but I had 6 beers by that time and had the sound turned down on the television so I'm not really sure, although not long afterwards my newly gained "ninja intuition" did let me down when my son announced to me he was a cross-dresser -I had absolutely no premonition whatsoever he was sneaking up on me with that one, although his confession later turned out to be an elaborate joke so maybe the training does work after all).

Another great insight was when the presenter was teaching common security guards telekinesis, where he was able to use his hands to pull a security guard back a couple of steps, all from the OTHER SIDE of the room -I loved that bit, and have watched it numerous times since. There are many practical uses for this skill such as being able to steal the jail-house keys from the wardens desk while you are behind bars (possibly for using your newly acquired psychic skills in public), hitting the stop button on a nuclear countdown when your nemesis has you tied up in some fiendish death device it is impossible to escape from, pinching a girl's bottom from the other side of a crowded bar without getting caught, strangling an insubordinate underling Darth Vader style, and being able to psychically loosen the straps on your straight jacket when you're thrown in to a padded cell for believing you are psychic.

What other insights were there? Oh, yeah, plenty of Crudelli's street tricks, as well as snippets of training from legitimate masters. There were also some great scenery shots and footage of other countries, as well as snappy Crudelli quotes, like . . . something about a tiger not being able to climb a tree . . . nup, it's gone. Still, this is a very worth-while series presented by a competent, articulate, charismatic (and apparently psychic) presenter, which I do recommend for its entertainment value, if not for the impressive training it will give you.

Personally I have put the knowledge of the martial arts skills I have gained from these dvds to good use. The other day when 300 bikers were attacking me (after I made comments about their promiscuous mothers) I slaughtered the first wave of 50 bikers and used their carcasses to build a wall to funnel the other 250 in to. This made it easier to fight them in one thin line, where their numbers would count for nothing. I then defeated them with a combination of aerial kicks and acrobatics and very stern looks. As is always the way, the fighting ended up with me on a wind-swept roof top facing my arch enemy in a battle to the death. Fortunately, my recent training of practicising all my moves blind folded on tight-ropes suspended over a freeway while experts threw sharp objects at me really paid off (it's amazing how handy that actually was, along with my psychic training), and I prevailed against my sworn enemy . . . although I sure will miss my half brother.

Thanks for reading, and I hope that these dvds helps prepare you to face life (or perhaps even reality) like it has for me. I plan to purchase two more boxed sets of dvds from Amazon to help me realise even more of my life's ambitions -I always wanted to be an Emergency Room physician and a Stargate engineer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5