Profile for HH > Reviews

Mike Bassett - TV Series (Part 1) [DVD]
Mike Bassett - TV Series (Part 1) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ricky Tomlinson

3.0 out of 5 stars No subtitles, 24 Aug. 2011
I actually have no doubts that this is a great series, as I loved the movie. However there are no subtitles, at least not on my dvd, and as English is my third language (and not first) I actually had to give up as with their accents I didn't understand a word the actors said.
I know that this review is perhaps not fair on the dvd itself or the series - but I really think Amazon could do a lot better in saying in the product info page whether a dvd is subtitled - and no doubt this could cause trouble for more people than just myself.

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall [DVD] [1996]
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Toby Stephens
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't like it, 28 Aug. 2010
First I must admit that I haven't read the book and I don't particularly like the works of the sisters. However I do love a good costume drama. This however I didn't like. It was very slow-paced and the plot uninteresting. The characters weren't very likable - I wouldn't have minded much if a green dragon had eaten them all in the first ten minutes and I didn't care at all whether it all ended well or badly - actually I was somewhat disappointed to find things worked out for the main character as I didn't like her one bit. The main character is either both annoying and very disagreeable or the part was terribly miscast. And terribly unbelievable as a frivolous eighteen year old! Also the settings, costumes etc. weren't all that. Would highly recommend BBC's Middlemarch or Tess of the d'Urbervilles instead.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2010 8:59 PM GMT

The Fourth Estate
The Fourth Estate
by Jeffrey Archer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as..., 28 Jun. 2010
This review is from: The Fourth Estate (Paperback)
I am a great fan; I loved Kane and Abel, Not a penny..., Paths of glory, First among Equals etc.

This one I didn't like. I really tried and I read it through (struggling) but actually I found the plot dull yet confusing and couldn't have cared less about any of the characters. Not only did the main characters fail to raise my interest or sympathy but interesting extras (like there were for example in First among equals) were also lacking.

Since this book I have not quite given up on Archer as I have since read Not a penny... and Paths of glory, both far superior to this one - though the latter takes some historical licences.
I am actually quite surprised that this one gets so positive reviews. In my opinion most of Archer's books are better.

Dirty Sexy Money - Season 2 [DVD]
Dirty Sexy Money - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Donald Sutherland
Offered by cd_lp

1.0 out of 5 stars What happened?, 23 Oct. 2009
I really enjoyed the first series as it was funny, bizarre, outrageous and exciting - and the characters seemed really interesting. However I am watching this season on TV now - am down to ep. 22 and still waiting for the original writers to wake up from their coma - and what a disappointment. Am waiting and waiting to get a glimpse of the old brilliance of the first season but it just isn't there.
The show isn't funny anymore, and it revolves mostly around the most boring and unbelieavable characters (Sutherland hardly makes an appearance any more and many of the support actors from season 1 have completely disappeared). The plots are rather pointless, too complicated and too much like what you'd expect from a daytime soap. People coma alive after death - characters make an appearance (in what at first seems to be an exciting new plot) and the vanish from the show - without you finding the point in haveing them there in the first place. The dialogue and acting is considderably worse and the humour has completely disappeared. AVOID - or watch the brilliant series 1 again! Also the screen writers seem to find all this confusing as the sem EXACT approx. five minutes scene (Lisa renting the gallery) was in two different episodes several weeks apart (and all the actors seemed to forget that this had all happended before .....).
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2010 2:41 PM BST

Marshmallows For Breakfast
Marshmallows For Breakfast
by Dorothy Koomson

2.0 out of 5 stars so terribly sorry..., 15 Oct. 2009
I actually don't know why (as I really tried) but I did not like this book at all. The writing wasn't bad and the character development wasn't the worst I've come across (though the characters aren't all that lovable and rather unbelievable). But somehow I couldn't wait for the book to end. Maybe it could be useful as some kind of self-help book for alcoholists / crime-victims / divorcées / home-wreckers? I don't know - all I know is that I found it incredibly dull and slow-paced - but as said before I really can't explain why. I see a lot of readers agree with me though...

The Kitchen Witch (Berkley Sensation)
The Kitchen Witch (Berkley Sensation)
by Annette Blair
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars OK, if you're twelve or have never read another book, 27 April 2009
This is a really terrible book. When Amazon recommended it to me I thought it was a crime book or a book about witchcraft - I like those. This is a terrible romance chicklit rubbish (I also like some of those but this is awful). It mainly focuses on the main characters ERECTIONS which are very frequent and describtions of his "THICKNESS????". The sex scenes are unbelievable (at least to those who have actually had sex) and the main characters are flat and empty (except for the kid, who at age four is surely a child wonder as he takes active part in adult life and conversations, am guessing the author never met a four year old). Also the characters are supposed to have "baggage" and a "past" but really their lives have been rather uneventful so you don't get what the fuss is about. AVOID - Please!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 26, 2009 4:27 AM BST

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
by Peter Boxall

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit less than hoped for, 24 Mar. 2009
Of course this book is a lot of fun but I missed some of my favourite authors there. (Heinrich Böll, Roald Dahl and some feminist writers etc.) Also I don't quite see the need to list ALL SIX of Jane Austens books there - I mean they weren't ALL that fantastic! I found this also true of some other authors while some don't get mentioned at all others have all their books listed! Still, this must be hard to do - and a great effort anyway...

A Good Day To Die
A Good Day To Die
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars A faulty item - perhaps best not to buy., 4 Jan. 2009
I actually haven't read this book as I noticed (as I was about to start) that my book from Amazon is faulty - it goes on from page 1 - 416 and then comes page 369 AGAIN and it stops at 416... So there has been a mistake of some sorts at the printing - as the last 64 pages are missing. Not much point in reading a thriller without the end!

Play and Learn French (Book + Audio CD): Over 50 Fun songs, games and everyday activites to get started in French: Over 50 Fun Songs, Games and ... Started in French (Play and Learn Language)
by Ana Lomba

1.0 out of 5 stars THERE IS NO CD, 23 Oct. 2008
This is not a review on the book as such - but both here on the site and on the book itself (both back and front) it says that a cd is included. I however got no cd. I wrote to Amazon and they sent me a new book - also with no cd! As the book mostly consists of songs it is mostly useless without the cd so I cannot recommend this.

27 Dresses [DVD] [2008]
27 Dresses [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Katherine Heigl
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even on a plane, 18 Aug. 2008
This review is from: 27 Dresses [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This was shown on a plane I was on - usually you watch the in-flight movie to the end as there's not all that much to do. With this one - I just couldn't. Sorry, might be ok if this is your first chick-flick ever (even for a chick movie it is dreadful) or if you're thirteen. As for my opinion the acting was dreadful, the conversation terrible, the script forseeable (even for a chick-flick) and just no point to the movie. I usually like chick-flicks for light entertainment - here the entertainment was missing (towards the end most of the passengers had tossed their headsets)... Would give it NO STARS if possible.

Page: 1 | 2