Profile for "simply_bubblin" > Reviews

Beloved
by Toni Morrison
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A story full of Vengance, 7 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Beloved (Mass Market Paperback)
The decision to read this book is possibly up there with my decision to attend university.
I have never before read a book that is so uniquely written. Morrison brilliantly chose a circular narrative to distract the reader from a linear progression through time. The three part structure is representative of an exorcism of the crimes of the past. The develoving relationship between Sehte and Paul D, a question of whether 'the people' can come together and heal as one.
Denver, the future.
Beloved, the past.
This book not only scratches but disects the issue of slavery in the 'deep South.' It battles with the massive themes of time and identity.
Toni Morrison illustrates so perfectly that we are where we are because of the path behind us.
Written in a beautiful style that can only make you hungry for more. A sort of 'Pulp Fiction' style (for you movie guru's) this story often jumps from present to past and from past to present to show that the past is part of us as much as anything.
This is a really sad story that can make you really reflect on some home truths. Inspired by the story of Margaret Garner, it is my feeling that not only is this a 'must have' but 'Beloved' lingers under your skin long after you put the book down.

Bully: a True Story of High School Revenge
Bully: a True Story of High School Revenge
by Jim Schutze
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A Question of Morality, 7 Feb. 2004
The deeply disturbing thing about this book is not the brutal murder at its core but my reaction to those who started out as victims and finished up as anything but, and the "bully" who was in effect reduced to less than dirt.
In particular, what I found so disturbing was the way that Shultz was able to get me as a reader to see that there is a grey area in murders - it isn't a question of did they kill, for that goes without saying. But if they did, are they guilty of murder? Are they responsible for they're actions? Isn't the murder a predictable response to the years of abuse that they had suffered? There is a constant and uncomfortable presence of this idea of a thin line between good and evil and the duality that exists within the individual.
I found myself literally at his mercy as I was exposed to some of the most brutal forms of assault and found myself sympathising more with the killers than I did with the eventual victim. But as the book unfolded, I was forced to question my own vision of morality – is it only self-defence if you are protecting yourself at the time? Can it be self-defence if you are trying to protect yourself from the future? When does it cease to be self-defence and turn out to be brutal murder?
I cannot say, but in reading the book it is certainly a question that will need to be answered.
The story - Absolutely tragic. A terrible waste of young minds - young lives. But what is really awful is that this can happen again, because after all, the people involved at the centre are just that - people. You’ll be surprised how much like them you really are.
A ‘must’ on the bookshelf for any parent. A ‘must’ on the bookshelf for any teenager. "Bully: A True story of High School Revenge" is a fantastic story about love, hate, loyalty, betrayal and innocence lost.