Profile for Justine K > Reviews

Content by Justine K

Justine K (England)

Canon LP-E6 PREMIUM Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery (100% COMPATIBLE) from Dot.Foto - with Dot.Foto InfoChip - 7.4v / 1600mAh - 2 Year Warranty [See Description for Compatibility]
Offered by NewWaveEurope

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant backup, 7 Dec. 2015
I have been using this battery for 3 years alongside the battery that came with my camera (a 5D Mark III) and it's done me proud. It never held its charge as long as the canon one, but it still does a good job (I'd say it lasted about 80% as long overall, and now about 65%), and for the price who can complain at that. Only now, after 3 years of pretty heavy use (I think over 50,000 photos and many days of film), am I really starting to see it struggle - especially for film. But the canon one is also struggling now too. I definitely recommend it as a backup - I'm going to buy another for this purpose.

Berghaus Deluge Women's Outdoor Trousers available in Black Size 10/31
Berghaus Deluge Women's Outdoor Trousers available in Black Size 10/31

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these trousers..., 7 Dec. 2015
I bought these trousers to take on holiday to the Faroe Islands, a place rainier than England - and that's saying something! And... I love these trousers! One day I hiked outside for 12 hours straight in moderate-heavy rain whilst wearing them. The ONLY part of me that was dry after those 12 hours was my legs/hips (I was also wearing a "waterproof" jacket, water resistant shoes and a water resistant backpack)!! I felt invincible against the rain because they kept me dry time after time (and I was also amazed at how warm they kept me, especially in the wind). And, unlike all my other horrible wet clothes, the water genuinely just rolls off them so they dry out very quickly too.

They're very light and roll up quite small, so will fit in your backpack nicely when you don't need them. The only thing to keep in mind is that, as other people have mentioned, the sizing is a little small - I'm usually an 8, and the 10 fit me pretty well. Also they are a little noisy to walk in as they're a little loose in the leg (as you would expect being overtrousers), but this is a tiny trade off giving how dry they will keep you.

Love Is Here
Love Is Here
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Is Here, 17 July 2006
This review is from: Love Is Here (Audio CD)
It's strange how some albums just take longer to like. And it's strange how, reading the other reviews, it seems to happen to others as well! Often though, the ones that do take time, stay for a long time, too. I love this album! Walsh's vocals are staggering. They're strong, emotive, gritty, unique... In the last track, Coming Down, he reaches a sound that's a completely different timbre from any other vocalist I've heard. Full of passion, it's a short, simple acoustic track, but the bareness just emphasises the superiority of his voice (I can't understand these people who think he cannot sing; are they deaf??). My highlights are Poor Misguided Fool - its strong, catchy, and has a beautiful piano accompaniment, Talk Her Down (for similar reasons), Love Is Here, and Coming Down.

But how can I not mention the other tracks? They are all so good. The way She Just Wept falls into Talk Her Down is perfect, and Walsh's vocals are also at their best in Talk Her Down. And throughout you have these shuffling, catchy beats, quite jazz-esque (which is Fever all over), well-placed piano parts, and fantastic vocals, akin to Richard Ashcroft. Did I mention that I love his voice?

A top quality album. It's a bit like a seed. You get it, you plant it, and it does nothing. So you forget about it. Then months pass, and it pokes its little head out of the soil (or in my case my appallingly messy CD rack). You decide to give it a go, then suddenly it blooms into a beautiful flower. Splendid!

No Come Down (B Sides & Outtakes)
No Come Down (B Sides & Outtakes)

4.0 out of 5 stars A 'Completist's' Album, 10 April 2005
I would say that this album is an integral thing to have if you are a huge Verve fan, but if you are not, then it probably isn't worth it. There are some fantastic tracks within, but there are a fair few weaker ones, too. A Storm In Heaven being my favourite Verve album (and one of my favourites overall), I actually prefer the original versions of Make It Till Monday and Butterfly. This, however, might be due to the fact that I got to know and love them first, and then heard the other versions - because they are still very good. Make It Till Monday is beautiful and haunting, but doesn't have enough substance in my opinion. And I also think that it looses its purpose slightly, just for the pure reason that in ASIH it comes before Blue, and blends seamlessly into it as though it is building up a climax for it, but in this collection it doesn't. It does just boil down to a matter of opinion, though.
The version of Blue - my joint favourite Verve song - is not as different as what I expected it to be, albeit the vocals are more prominent, and I would not be able to say which I prefer. If it weren't for the fact that I heard the ASIH version first and fell in love with it, I would probably say this one.
There is one song, though, that is worth all the money you spend on this album, no matter how much that may be, and that is Gravity Grave sung at Glastonbury. I cannot begin to describe how truly amazing it is, and is over 9 minutes of total creativity, ingenuity and genius. It creates an untouchable atmosphere where Ashcroft's vocals are even more powerful and gritty, even more encapsulating. By the middle the bassline has changed, Ashcroft sings hauntingly high, the mood tightens, and it gradually builds to a climax where the guitar is let loose. And what a climax it is! Truly orgasmic; the only word I can use to begin to give it justice. The other brilliant song is Where The Geese Go, which is simple but effective and the backing vocals give it a very evocative feel.
Buy it if you love the song Gravity Grave, if you are a die-hard fan, as you will surely appreciate this great collection. If you want to get a feel for The Verve and are not as familiar with them, then A Storm In Heaven or A Northern Soul would be more apt.

Attack Of The Grey Lantern
Attack Of The Grey Lantern
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius !, 10 April 2005
I hadn't even had the album for a week, but it almost instantly nestled itself into the position of being one of my all time favourite albums. I was familiar with the song Wide Open Space, and on its strength decided to buy the album. And not a moment too soon! Upon listening to the rest of the album I promptly forget about Wide Open Space and became absorbed in the other intriguing songs. Of course it's still brilliant, but with The Chad Who Loved Me as the opening track with its sumptuous strings and powerful chorus, it is quite understandable to do so.

And Stripper Vicar, has indeed, got to be one of the best crafted, 'soundtrack to the 90's' pop/rock song. It is dark, yet so bizarre and humorous. It's totally fascinating and enthralling; in fact, the whole album is. I entirely agree that there isn't a weak track present.

Some more of the album's highlights are the songs Taxloss, She Makes My Nose Bleed and Egg shaped Fred. They're all such strong songs with tunes/lyrics that are just impossible to dislodge ("We think you are stupid, we give you money because our assets are fluid"). The only difference is that, unlike many other catchy rock/pop songs, you actually WANT them to be stuck in your mind. Some of the tracks vaguely remind me of Blur, but far, far, better. Unlike Blur, they are deeper, more profound and generally more intelligent.

Combine catchy pop song tunes and choruses to strong guitar chords, then add a twist of bizarre wit, humour and irony, and you are getting close to having an idea of what this amazing album is like.

A Storm In Heaven
A Storm In Heaven
Offered by simply-well-priced

5.0 out of 5 stars An Album From Heaven, 6 April 2005
This review is from: A Storm In Heaven (Audio CD)
Forgive the pun, but if you are looking for an amazingly celestial, atmospheric album then look no further! It takes you to some outer region of space where you can float in the music's sheer creativity and depth. I often wonder how this album creates such a unique, out-of-this-world feel; it must be a combination of Richard Ashcroft's hauntingly beautiful singing and many guitar effects. Star Sail is a brilliant example of this with its use of heavy guitars, background vocals, and the lyrics!! I recommend you look up the lyrics somewhere online as it completes the whole 'experience'. The fact that I can call this album an experience emphasises just how good it is.
Slide Away uses a catchy bass line and effectively builds up to a great climax, where Richard darts from low notes to high and the tone varies from thin to thick - fantastic! Blue has got to be one of my favourite songs, and I don't know exactly why, perhaps the captivating lyrics ("conceived in a chrome dream, I was a crease in a shirt that this world wears"), the variation of the vocals, the relationship between guitar and vocals; everything!
Every song has it's own attributes, and apart from the slightly weaker Virtual World and See You In The Next One they are all genius. But don't get me wrong, they are still good, but when played amongst pure classics (which is basically every other track) they come up a little short.
Forget Urban Hymns, it will seem artificial and shallow after you have given A Storm In Heaven a listen. A Northern Soul is also very good, perhaps in some ways it is better than ASIH, but in my opinion it can't match the sheer soul and atmosphere that this album contains.
Listen to it outside when it's starry. Listen to it when you're watching the sun set. And once you have, nearly every other album will seem totally insignificant in comparison.