Profile for R. Tuohy > Reviews

R. Tuohy

Everyman
Everyman

4.0 out of 5 stars John Carpenter's The Thing meets the Blob., 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Everyman (Kindle Edition)
This is honestly the best way to describe this book. Robinson crafts a disturbing and weird little tale that leaves you shocked and horrified while aching to turn the page to see what happens next.

I enjoyed his characterisation and without wanting to spoil anything, the villain of the piece had me sympathising with him in the earlier chapters while despising him as the story drew to a close.

If you enjoy either of the two films I listed in the review's title you'll have a lot of fun with this book, again I won't say too much for fear of spoilers but parts of the text do become very visceral and call back to those movies in spades in both content and themes.

The one thing I will say that jarred me out of the story at points were infrequent typos or grammar mistakes that caused me to re-read a sentence twice before I understood the meaning. Apart from this minor quibble the book is well worth the price of admission and in the later chapters I found myself musing on what an Everyman Movie might look like.

In short I liked it.

Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52) (Batman Graphic Novel)
Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls (The New 52) (Batman Graphic Novel)

5.0 out of 5 stars A game changer, 12 Aug. 2013
Scott Synder takes something so familiar to comic readers worldwide, a myth and a legend that has endured for 75 years and he turns it on his head. Everything about this take on Batman feels fresh and new, not just for the newcomers drafted on by the promise of a New 52 but for the old hands like myself who have followed The Bat for a long time, cornerstones of the mythos are taken and twisted into something which sucker punches you with its brilliance. Greg Capullo's art did take an issue or two to grow on me but once I got to the labyrinth issue I was blown away. A powerhouse team create a book that has something for every Batfan out there.

The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, Vol. 1)
The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes (The Sandman, Vol. 1)
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, there is no other word for it., 10 Jan. 2010
When I first heard about Sandman needless to say I was intrigued, I'm the type of person who loves anything supernatural, so a story about the God of Dreams and his exploits on the mortal plane was just what I needed.
Preludes and Nocturnes is the first in the Sandman series, chronicling the tale of Morpheus the God of Dreams (The Sandman to you and me). I won't give any of the story away because that is unfair but what I love about this book are the subtle nods and references Gaiman makes to other characters in the DC universe I won't spoil it for you but I'll just say this, a few major players in the DC universe make an big impact on the story even if you don't realise it at first, this means comic book readers will get that extra dimension of fun out of the book. However don't think this is all a load of in jokes that only avid comic book fans will understand, the story is very well written, brilliantly paced and the characters are well fleshed out. Gaiman mixes dark subtle humour with action on an epic scale while adding a touch of real world myths and legends to really make readers feel immersed in the world he has created.
So to sum up, if you want something that will really pull you into the story I suggest you pick this up, you won't be disappointed.