Profile for Debra from Hull > Reviews

Content by Debra from Hull

Debra from Hull (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor
Garmin Forerunner 410 GPS Sportswatch with Heart Rate Monitor
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

4.0 out of 5 stars My first GPS sportswatch!, 29 Jun. 2012
Having lost a lot of weight in the past year using the principle of 'eat less and eat healthier', I recently made the conscious decision to become fitter. This entailed briskly walking the 5.5 mile round trip to work. As that became easier I embarked on a 'run/walk' programme. I also started walking in the Peak District at weekends. Each day I manually keyed in my times and distance on [...]. I then wanted to track my movements by GPS but didn't want an Iphone or similar. This is what led me to purchasing a GPS watch.
I'd read all the reviews on Amazon & elsewhere and settled on the Garmin 210. Then I saw the 410 advertised at a much lower price and with more features. However the reviews were certainly mixed! I decided to buy the 410 despite some of the issues that other reviewers had had. These were -

1. THE BEZEL ISN'T EASY TO USE - It's true that it does take some getting used to but once you do it's fine.

2. IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO LOCATE THE SATELLITES - Not found this to be a problem, usally about 20 seconds maximum.

3. THE WATCH IS BULKY AND IS TOO BIG FOR A WOMAN'S WRIST - As I have fairly thin wrists this was a concern. However the watch comes with two extra straps to cater for smaller and larger wrists. When I first tried it on it felt cumbersome. Four weeks later and I only ever take it off when showering or charging it up.

4. THE WATCH ISN'T WATERPROOF - I've used it in rain quite a bit and with no problems. However, given that it doesn't claim to be waterproof I take the precaution of removing it when bathing or showering.

5. BATTERY LIFE TOO SHORT / CHARGER AWKWARD - Not a problem on either front. I usually give it a full charge once a week. I've found the charger to work exactly as it should.

I am one happy bunny with this watch! I love the fact that it transfers my data as soon as I'm within a few feet of my computer. What's also great is being able to look at where I've walked at the weekends and see where I went wrong on the route! The Garmin site is just fantastic with all the data you could need.

I haven't yet used the HRM so can't comment on that. In fact there are a lot of features that I haven't used yet! The watch fits my needs perfectly and I heartily recommend it!

Salter Best of British Union Jack Electronic Glass Scale
Salter Best of British Union Jack Electronic Glass Scale
Offered by kitchen essentials

5.0 out of 5 stars Rule Britannia!, 12 April 2012
I needed a new set of scales and knew from other reviewers that Salter were up there with the best. Not only with regards to accuracy but also value for money.

Although never previously a fan of Union Jack items, I was drawn to these because they're quite discreet size wise. I have to say I love 'em! Really brightened up the kitchen! The top is made of glass rather than plastic.

Although only had a couple of days, I'm very happy with the accuracy. The capacity is 5kg (11lb) or 5000ml (175fl oz) in 1 g / 0.1 oz / 1 ml increments. Overall size of the scales is L20 x W16cm and there's a 15 year guarantee.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 30, 2012 4:37 PM BST

Last Christmas
Last Christmas

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as it sounds!, 1 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Last Christmas (Audio CD)
As a collector of Christmas music, I bought this unheard. I don't watch TOWIE but in 2011 you couldn't escape the programme! This was released to support the 'Text Santa' charity event.

As for the record, I wasn't expecting too much! Really pleasantly surprised. They don't take it too seriously and appear to be having a good time!

Don't just buy it for charity - enjoy it in it's own right. The other song is 'The Only Way Is Up' which is just as good. The CD also includes the official video as well as a karaoke video.

Gibsons Pass the Pud Family Game
Gibsons Pass the Pud Family Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect after-Christmas Dinner game, 18 Aug. 2011
For some time I'd seen the great reviews about Pass The Bomb and planned to purchase it in time for Christmas. However, last month we had a 'Christmas in July' evening with a full Christmas dinner!

Just happened to see this on Amazon and decided it would be perfect for after dinner! It made the evening! The game itself is simple enough. Set the timer, give an answer and then pass to the next person before the 'burp' goes off. I had misgivings about the burp sound but trust me it's hardly noticeable, especially if there's music in the background. As the pud is passed it plays a sleighbell sound so you soon know when the time has run out.

The questions fall into four categories -
THINGS - The player must give an example of the 'thing' on the card. The next player has to give an answer with the next letter of the alphabet.
WORDS - Players must give the name of a song or book that contains the word on the card.
CONNECTIONS - Players must give the name of an actor, character or association with the film on the card.
CLUES - A list of items are printed on the card and players must describe them to their team without actually saying the word.

The game is for 4 or more players divided into teams but we had five of us playing singly easily enough. The only questions we couldn't use were CLUES.

The gameplay is fantastic and it was great fun watching people panic if the random pud was still in their possession and couldn't think of an answer! Challenging players answers was also very funny. BTW, this can be played across the generations with no problems although CONNECTIONS maybe a bit challenging for the younger players. Our game consisted of players aged 22 - 50.

Highly recommended!

Classic TV Christmas Collection [DVD] [1964] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Classic TV Christmas Collection [DVD] [1964] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by Newtownvideo_EU

4.0 out of 5 stars An American Christmas!, 7 May 2011
This a great selection of American TV's Chistmas episodes. Quite a mixed bag, they all come from the Warner Brothers stable.
They span four decades so there should be something for everyone. These sets always contain at least one programme that wasn't broadcast on British TV and this one is no different.

My favourite was definately Eight Is Enough even though I'd never seen it before. I remember Welcome Back, Kotter but don't remember it being as good as this episode! The Christmas theme is slight - this is a clips show.

The Courtship of Eddie's Father was a bit cheesy but notable for an appearance by a very young Jodie Foster.

It was great to see the sit-coms especially Alice and Mama's House both of which were unknown to me. I also enjoyed CHiPs for the nostalgia!

All in all, a great collection and a perfect Christmas present!

The Courtship of Eddie's Father: Gifts Are For Giving 1971
Mama's Family: Mama Gets Goosed 1989

Are You Being Served: Christmas [DVD] [1973] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Are You Being Served: Christmas [DVD] [1973] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmas at Grace Bros!, 21 April 2011
These are the Christmas specials aired between 1975 and 1979.

Christmas Crackers 1975
The Father Christmas Affair 1976
Happy Returns 1978
The Punch and Judy Affair 1979

I loved this programme in the 70s! Although not a huge fan of the series anymore, I just had to have this to add to my Christmas collection. The first two episodes are actually about Christmas whereas the ones from 1978 and 1979 are the specials that were broadcast on Boxing Day and have no Christmas content.

The Father Christmas Affair is the best one in my opinion. It's this episode that features the CDU (Christmas Display Unit)!

Christmas With Cliff Richard [VHS] [1994]
Christmas With Cliff Richard [VHS] [1994]
VHS

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 stars for Cliff............only 1 for marketing!, 3 April 2011
Although not a die-hard fan, I do like to buy anything Christmas-related by Cliff. This is a concert in Chichester on the 12th December 1980.

I'd bought this with the intention of having a Cliff @ Christmas night in December. Really disappointed that this is called Christmas With Cliff Richard. The main of the concert is his gospel songs and the Christmas aspect is a 4 minute medley of O Little Town of Bethlehem, Silent Night, In The Bleak Mid Winter and Away In A Manger. In fact the Christmas medley plays directly after the closing credits. There isn't even any Christmas imagery!

All in all, a good video if you're not buying it purely for the Christmas stuff. However, as the medley isn't available to buy elsewhere I'll still be keeping it in my collection. I'm currently watching the video of Cliff Richard-Together With Cliff [VHS] and have reviewed that as well.

Evel Knievel Dressing Gown
Evel Knievel Dressing Gown

5.0 out of 5 stars A must if you were around in the 70s!, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Evel Knievel Dressing Gown
This was bought as a 50th birthday present and the recipient loves it!

Styled just like Evel's leathers with a massive embroidered '1' on the back. The material is like a valour-ish cotton and very soft - very similar to the Rocky Balbaoa one that came out a few years ago.

Very impressed with it!

The DVD runs for approximately 30 minutes and includes the following cartoons -

Tom and Jerry: The Night Before Christmas - 1941
Tom and Jerry: Mice Follies - 1954
One Ham's Family - 1943
The Captain And The Kids: The Captain's Christmas - 1938.

The only non-Christmas cartoon is Mice Follies which is about the kitchen being turned into an ice rink. These are old cartoons but stand up well. Nice stocking filler!

Happy Holiday Hearth [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Happy Holiday Hearth [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Chestnuts roasting on an open fire....!, 30 Jan. 2011
Ditto the above review!

This was perfect for Christmas! I'd bought a new 40" LED TV which I placed on our unused brick fireplace. Bought this and couldn't believe how great it looked! The brickwork on the DVD complemented our fireplace perfectly!

We loved putting it on when our friends came over. In fact the house was very cold last night so my OH suggested I put it on to kid ourselves into thinking it was warm!

If you've got a multi-region DVD buy this - it will transform your living room at Christmas!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13