Profile for Cliff > Reviews

Silva Ranger Compass
Silva Ranger Compass
Offered by Mike Davies Leisure

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I bought this instead of the Expedition 4, 13 Feb. 2016
This review is from: SILVA Ranger Compass (Sports)
Silva's website says the Ranger is designed for backpackers not the Expedition 4 and as a weekend walker I think this is the one to go for.

It has distance measurement at the scale I use, 1:25,000, exactly where I want it, on the left hand side of the compass which I use to measure. The Expo has centimetres there. I don't want to mess about with mental maths in a filthy storm - I just want to know what the distance is.

It doesn't have rubber feet to keep the compass fixed on the map case to take a bearing, but if you use a quality map case such as an Ortlieb, you don't need them, because the case plastic itself is deliberately tacky to secure a compass.

The baseplate is slightly shorter than the Expo, but still long enough to take a bearing no problem.

It doesn't have Romers, but backpackers don't need them either.

Don't make the mistake I did and buy a cheap compass. The needle in a cheap one just wallows around wherever it feels like and you can't trust it. The needle in this one locks onto north like a guided missile, and stays there.

The housing has plenty of orienteering lines to line up with a grid line on the map to take a bearing, unlike many cheap compasses which have fewer lines, and this is a big deal when using one.

The magnifier is superb for looking at small features on the map.

I'm very glad I dug a bit deeper in my pocket to get this and the Ortlieb case. It's not about being a poser. The quality makes all the difference when you're out there.

Worth every penny.

Community Foods Italian Long Grain Brown Rice 500 g (Pack of 6)
Community Foods Italian Long Grain Brown Rice 500 g (Pack of 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rice, plump moist grains that melt in the ..., 17 Jan. 2015
Excellent rice, plump moist grains that melt in the mouth, and a delicious flavour, tastes nutty but not soily or too strong.

Highly recommended to anyone who misses the discontinued Sainsbury's Italian brown rice.

Learn French with Paul Noble - Complete Course: French made easy with your personal language coach
by Paul Noble
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant Course by a Brilliant Teacher, 26 Feb. 2012
I passed GCSE French about 30 years ago, but then visited France and found out I couldn't speak the language, but wanted to learn.

For years I have expanded my collection of traditional bookwork-based, audio-supplemented French courses, such as Hugo, Accelerated Learning and Linguaphone. I have tried them all, but always given up in frustration after a short time. I tried Michel Thomas as well, but hated his thick accent, so quickly gave up on that too.

This course is the first home study French course I have ever finished. That fact alone speaks for itself.

Paul Noble is a brilliant teacher who has created a brilliant course. He teaches the language you need for a holiday or short stay. Although he avoids using complicated linguistic terminology, his course is in fact highly grammar-based, including past and future tenses, and pronouns such as le la les lui and leur, so you are given the essential foundations you need to build upwards from. He asks questions in English, leaves a generous pause for you to answer, and then his assistant who is a native female French teacher gives the answer so that you can check what you said and learn the correct pronunciation.

You aren't fluent at the end of the course, but know enough to get by as a visitor.

But the best thing about this course for me has been that it has at last opened a door, which up until now has remained shut fast, even though I have been banging my head against it for nearly three decades.

The penny has finally dropped with me that what matters is being able to understand spoken French, and say spoken French, rather than do bookwork French of the kind we did in school.

I have followed up Paul Noble's course with other 100% audio courses, such as Reader's Digest At Home with French and Linguaphone All Talk French.

And after all these years I have finally managed to get off the ground and fly.

Thank you Mr Noble and Collins.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 9, 2014 1:39 PM BST

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B Quiet CPU Cooler
Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.B Quiet CPU Cooler

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than I hoped for, 14 April 2011
I wanted to replace the stock cooler on my AMD Phenom II 1090T because the fan ran at nearly 3k rpm and sounded like a Boeing 747.

I thought the Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B was a little bit expensive but I bought it anyway and I'm really glad I did because I'm delighted with it.

The CPU runs at about 34 Celsius which is 5C or so cooler than before, the cooling fins furthest away from the processor are lukewarm to the touch, and the fan runs at 950-1050 rpm powered direct from the motherboard. However it is inaudible because when I stop it with my fingers and then let it restart I can't hear any difference. I can only hear the power supply fan now and that runs almost silent.

The motherboard has to come out to fit a bracket on the back, but if you know how to take a motherboard out and refit it, you won't have any problem with installation.

Thermal paste is supplied.

I had considered buying a fan controller as well but now I'm not going to bother.

Ring 8 amp Smart Car Battery Charger Professional Remote Battery Check RSC8
Ring 8 amp Smart Car Battery Charger Professional Remote Battery Check RSC8

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Dec. 2009
After cycling to work a lot recently and not using the car much, by December my 3 year old battery had trouble cranking the engine, and its green charge indicator light had completely disappeared.

I bought this charger because it was the only one I could find on the web which said it works with calcium batteries.

It's not weatherproof so I put it just inside the garage door, trailed the terminal leads underneath, and connected them to the battery. Because it's a 'smart charger' the battery can stay in the car during charge-up.

I started off using the recondition function, and when I came down next morning it had finished that and switched to the pre-programmed 'smart charge' mode. This uses different charge patterns over different stages of the charging process rather than keeping to a constant charge level throughout, and then it maintains a top-up 'float' charge at the end, so that it doesn't overcharge, and this lets you keep it connected long term if you want.

After the charger finished its work, the green light on the battery was glowing like Blackpool illuminations, and the battery vigorously turned the engine over like new.

You can also check the charge level by connecting the leads to the battery with the charger switched off, and pressing a button on the front panel.

So if your battery starts flagging, don't panic and rush out for a new one. Buy one of these instead. They're excellent.

Belkin WIRELESS N BUNDLE * F5D8053/F5D8633-4A
Belkin WIRELESS N BUNDLE * F5D8053/F5D8633-4A

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good, 23 Nov. 2008
I bought this bundle to replace my Belkin Wireless G modem router and PCI adapter because it wasn't always connecting and was giving me the Limited or No Connectivity message on a regular basis.

I went for Belkin again because the last one had been replaced once free of charge under the lifetime guarantee.

This new one connects within about 5-10 seconds every time without fail and it has more advanced security.

Like with the last one I let Windows run the connection rather than the Belkin software as it seems to work better.

Well worth buying rather than soldiering on with an intermittent Wireless G connection. Life's too short.