Profile for Alan Pearson > Reviews

Content by Alan Pearson

Alan Pearson "Book worm" (Plymouth, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Lighter Than a Feather
Lighter Than a Feather
by David Westheimer

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighter Than a Feather, 2 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Lighter Than a Feather (Hardcover)
I read this book at least 25 years ago and bought it for a re-read. An excellent read describing the fictional invasion of Japan at the end of the second world war. I shall certainly not wait another 25 years to read it again. The book is second hand with some slight damage to the cover but otherwise in good condition.

Lanard Slam Shot Rocket Launcher with Three Foam Rockets
Lanard Slam Shot Rocket Launcher with Three Foam Rockets
Offered by Great British Toy Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Slam Rocket Launcher, 2 Aug. 2016
Great piece of kit for fun with children and adults. Comes with 3 projectiles, buy some spares they can go a long way and with a bit of wind you will invariably loose them. Worth buying

Air-Powered SLAP ROCKET Foam Flying Toy, Single (Assorted Colors)
Air-Powered SLAP ROCKET Foam Flying Toy, Single (Assorted Colors)
Offered by Global Imports Intl

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of mindless fun but make sure that you buy spare rockets, 2 Aug. 2016
Bought two of these items for use with visiting children. Hours of mindless fun but make sure that you buy spare rockets, they can end up in trees or be stomped on by overexcited children and adults.

Brunton All Day 2.0 Power Pack - Black, Compatible GoPro Hero 3/3+/4
Brunton All Day 2.0 Power Pack - Black, Compatible GoPro Hero 3/3+/4
Offered by Leisure Lakes Bikes

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought this to enable me to time lapse video ..., 29 May 2016
I bought this to enable me to time lapse video my work as a bridge builder using the Go Pro Hero4. The normal batteries will last about 3 hours taking a picture every 10 or 30 seconds. With this battery I was able to place my camera in the morning and video a complete day's work of up to 10 hours.
Some reviewers have commented on the flimsy nature of the battery to camera connection and it's true that they are not the most robust of items hence the presence of two leads with the battery.
I charged up the battery as shown and removed the supplied item from my Go Pro Hero. There are only two minor problems: 1) you cannot be certain where your camera is pointed unless you have downloaded the viewing app for your mobile (I have but still have problems with it) and 2) you must remember to press the battery on button when you need to turn the camera on.
Other than that up to now I have no complaints. Obviously I use it in a static mode so I'm not carrying the large extension on my head but for my work it has been ideal.

Frank Morgan
Frank Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Frank Morgan - Parker Influenced Bebop, 17 April 2016
This review is from: Frank Morgan (MP3 Download)
Frank Morgan; despite being a lifelong jazz lover I had not heard of him until I started reading the Michael Connelly Bosch novels. Once my curiosity was aroused I read up on him via Wikipedia and a couple of other sources and downloaded the album as an MP3. The music is a good combination of slow, medium and up tempo numbers that are well executed. Frank was introduced to the saxophone by his hero Charlie Parker who told him to start on the clarinet and graduate to the saxophone. Unfortunately Morgan also graduated to the vice that contributed to Parkers early demise. After spending quite some time in prison a reformed Morgan began playing professionally again. The music is exciting and occasionally sensual bop worth listening to.
I bought the MP3version because it was cheaper than the CD, I've thoroughly enjoyed listening and will download others. Well recommended to lovers of the jazz saxophone.

Bosch - Season 1
Bosch - Season 1
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Bosch - Series 1 and 2, 3 April 2016
This review is from: Bosch - Season 1 (Amazon Video)
I watched Bosch Season 1 before reading any of Michael Connelly's books. It is an excellent production, Titus Welliver is outstanding as Hieronymous Bosch as are most of the cast. Once I had watched season's 1 and 2 I gravitated to the books, having read 4 so far I intend to read the rest. Having watched the series Bosch will always be Welliver and Chief Irving will always be Lance Reddick. Both series are well worth watching with interesting story lines both within the crimes and private lives of some of the characters, the stories develop slowly with none of the rush to what other series may regards as the important bits. Bosch is a jazz lover as am I so there is an added interest for me personally.
Well worth a watch. I hope Amazon will continue with the development of this series.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars CREE XML T6 LED, 26 Jan. 2016
I bought this light from amazon a couple of years ago and was initially very impressed, I left the light on to see how long it would run on one charge, it ran for 12hours however, since then I have had to purchase 2 more battery packs and they have all gone the same way: okay for a few weeks then they stop working or only work intermittently which is obviously not much fun when you are on the road in poor visibility. The light is excellent either on the bike on on one's head using the supplied head torch mount but the battery is poor which is a great shame and lets the whole thing down.

Betron JRS40 Pop Up Portable Mini Travel II Capsule Rechargeable 40mm Speaker For Iphone, iPod, Ipad, Tablets and MP3 Players - Black
Offered by Betron Limited ( VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars a lot better than the speaker I was using before, 18 Jan. 2016
I bought this after reading other reviews. I originally wanted to to attach to my Sony Walkman when I am on my bike turbo trainer in the garage and needed something that would be audible over the whirring of the machine. It worked a treat, a lot better than the speaker I was using before. I work abroad and the Betron Pop Up will also be invaluable for listening to music without the need for earphones when in a hotel.
The product is small and comes in a soft black bag. It is charge via my laptop USB port, very convenient, I listen to jazz, classical and opera and this item provides very good sound quality.
I recommend the Betron Pop Up Mini Travel II to anyone who requires a portable speaker.

Nokia Lumia 2520 32GB 3G 4G Black - tablets (Full-size tablet, IEEE 802.11n, Windows, Slate, Windows RT, Black)

2.0 out of 5 stars Nokkia 2523 Tablet, 23 Dec. 2015
This was my first tablet, I bought it to allow me to, among other things, to view pdf drawings on site when working and to edit office documents and presentations. At first it worked reasonable well then I noticed that it would occasionally vibrate and change applications, I initially put this down to my being something of a technophobe but it appears to some odd fault that I cannot rectify, consequently I no longer use it at work to avoid looking a bit of a duffer when showing a presentation or reviewing a drawing and then suddenly switching programmes. I was working abroad when the guarantee expired or I would have certainly taken it back.
Although the appearance is very impressive the screen and processor speed will not always show movies or video without freezing. I am uncertain whether I will replace this tablet but if I do it is unlikely that it will be with a windows tablet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2016 10:48 PM GMT

Monoprice MHD Action Camera
Monoprice MHD Action Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Monoprice MHD Action Camera, 20 Aug. 2014
I bought this camera as a cheap alternative to the more expensive items on the market. It was bought for two reasons: 1) to record bike rides and 2) for work to record live and time lapse video of steel bridge builds.
For the bike rides I found it does what it says on the box, sound quality from behind is poor but perhaps that is a good thing. I've recorded a number of road bike rides and found the Monoprice to be more that adequate for my needs certainly enough to realise how close vehicles come when they overtake.
For work: I have recorded a number of live operations and the only down side I have found is that it does not have a view screen so they do occasionally seem to be tilted over to one site. The video quality and the sound is fine.
I have also recorded time lapse video, this has to be set by plugging into your computer and setting the timing. It works well and almost makes me wish that I hadn't invested in a Brinno since the quality appears to be better although the Brinno is simpler to setup not requiring a computer.
This was well worth the price and I may yet buy another.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5