Profile for Keren Hughes > Reviews

Who's Afraid?
Who's Afraid?
by Maria Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling From Start To Finish, 4 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Who's Afraid? (Paperback)
To say this is Maria's debut novel, it really doesn't seem like it. I know she's a journalist amongst other things, but her writing flows as if she's been doing it all her life - maybe she has.
Tommi and Lorcan are two of my favourite characters in anything that I have read recently. I haven't read a book about werewolves in a while and it made a refreshing change to dip back into the paranormal. I devoured this book so fast. It was all-consuming and I could barely get anything done for the fact I wanted to be reading all the time. To say I'm on tenterhooks for book two would be a massive understatement.
This story has the right mixture of angst, lust, good friendships (oh Mari and Kane are awesome!), fear and a lot more besides. It made for an explosive storyline from beginning to end. I was hooked from the first word to the last and now I'm left hanging.
There are so many things that happen in this story, things I can't tell you because it would spoil your enjoyment. All I can say is if you like your roller coasters to have high peaks, sharp turns and all sorts of twists, then this is the ride for you.
Tommi has utterly no clue what she really is. She was brought up completely out of reach of members of her family that really don't warrant getting to know. Her mother took her away from it for her own good when she was young. But Tommi wants to know who her father is. She's like any girl who grew up without a father, she's searching for answers that only he can provide. But will she like those answers? What will she find out and how will it affect her future?
If I'd known what I was walking into when I picked up this book, I would have been eager to pick it up much sooner.
The writing is flawless. The story is compelling. Maria Lewis really knows how to captivate an audience. All of those things make for an exciting ride that ends with a 5 star rating from me.

All That Glisters
All That Glisters

5.0 out of 5 stars I Want To Ride The Donovan Tower, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: All That Glisters (Kindle Edition)
Having read The Temptress, I knew I needed to read All That Glisters. Although they can be read as stand alone novels, All That Glisters is about the secondary characters we first met in The Temptress. Coco was definitely an amazing character, so it was great to read her story. She's feisty, flirty and funny as hell.
Hunter Donovan is crass and self-absorbed, but he's funny and sexy too. He's your typical ladies man with a roving eye and wandering hands. He leaves a trail of women wherever he goes. He's not a 'relationship' kind of guy, which is too bad as that's exactly what Coco wants. She needs a man who's loyal, reliable, trustworthy, someone who'll take care of her heart and give her all she desires. So why is it that even though she knows what he's like, she's still inexplicably drawn to him? She knows she shouldn't be. She knows he'll break her heart. But is all the pain worth it? Can she tame the untameable Hunter?

This book was hilarious throughout. I could not put it down and lost track of time by losing myself in the world CJ has created. I love the way CJ Fallowfield crafts a story. There's always love, sex, an abundance of laughter. Her stories suck you in and refuse to spit you out. Even after it's all over, I can't stop thinking about Hunter and all the naughty things he does.

Until We Collide
Until We Collide

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Hilarious Read, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Until We Collide (Kindle Edition)
Until We Collide is very Bridget Jones-esque. It has laugh out loud comedy and romantic entanglement, just what you need when you are feeling down or have been reading too many books in one genre - which is what I had done prior to reading this- I would make a suggestion to have a bottle of wine and a box of chocolates to go along with this book, which should get made into a movie because it's just so damn funny.

Paige is very like Bridget Jones. She's clumsy and silly, yet gorgeous and totally adorable. I felt a connection with her very easily. She was spending her time swooning over Alec, enter the mean-girl girlfriend who I wanted to smack upside her nasty head and tell her she wasn't good enough for Alec and that she should leave him and Paige to get it together.
The tension and the ups and downs were what kept me reading this fast paced story. There wasn't a moment where I wasn't either crying with laughter, fuming with rage or swooning over Alec.
The drama, the comedy, the many MANY laugh out loud moments as well as the romantic vibe of this book were what made it so brilliant. It was like your favourite rom-com played out on paper instead of on screen.
Charlotte Fallowfield creates characters to love, characters to detest and a road that never runs smoothly for the heroine of the story. If I could have given this book more than 5 stars, you can guarantee I would have and if I was a movie-exec, I would totally option the rights to Until We Collide.

Epic Lies: Volume 2 (Epic Fail)
Epic Lies: Volume 2 (Epic Fail)
by Trudy Stiles

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Read, 18 Jun. 2016
Where to start this review; that is the question. I guess I could start by saying Dax is totally swoon worthy. He's so much more than that. There aren't enough words in the dictionary to describe this complicated, misunderstood, sexy rocker.
I love books that tell a story from the male lead's POV as well as the female. I really like getting inside the mind of both characters and finding out what makes them tick.

Trudy Stiles is an amazing author whose books I have read and re-read. Epic Fail was fantastic. Better than fantastic actually, I am just lacking words except for epic, but that's already in the title ;) When I picked up Epic Lies, I knew to expect to be blown away. I knew to expect my emotions to be on a roller coaster and for my heart to feel somewhat pummelled. So it didn't come as a surprise when all of those things happened. If you've ready anything by Trudy before, you'll understand what I mean when I say she doesn't just take you on a journey, she makes you live vicariously through her characters. In this instance, I couldn't have been happier if I actually was Giselle. She was a great protagonist. She's really feisty, has had her fair share of heartbreak in her past and now she's looking for something to give her stability. Can she get that with Dax?

Dax is a member of the band Epic Fail, he has the life of your typical rock star, or so you would believe. There's always some kind of scandal surrounding people like him, right?!

We delved back into the past of both Dax and Giselle, making it all the more impossible not to love them. The horrors they've been through only endear them to me more. They've been through so much and it's clear that they both need something good in their lives. Could that good thing be in the form of each other?

There's ups and downs as there is in any good story, and in real life too. That's what is so good about this book, it's not some wild fantasy that could never happen in a million years; this is something that could totally happen in real life. We all get thrown curveballs now and then.
Can a tragedy in their respective pasts bring them closer together? Can love blossom from the heartache?

This story was brilliantly written, it was all-consuming and constantly had me intrigued. I would have finished it in one sitting, but I had myself a bit of a quandary. I had to chose between watching my favourite show (Game of Thrones) or read. I could have chosen to stay up later to finish the story, but I knew I'd be a zombie on the school run the next morning. So I put the book down at around 86% into it. Then this morning, I picked it back up and quickly devoured the ending. I won't lie, I didn't want it to end. That was another reason I chose to put it down last night, because I refused to accept it was nearly over.
It's very rare that a story can tug on my heartstrings to such an extent. Yes, I got emotionally invested. Yes, I cried. Several times. I'm not ashamed to admit it induced ugly tears!
If you haven't already, you need to read Epic Fail in preparation for Epic Lies. I can't wait for Epic Love.

Bet On Me
Bet On Me

5.0 out of 5 stars I'd Bet On Cole...Always!, 23 May 2016
This review is from: Bet On Me (Kindle Edition)
Bet On Me is one of the best stories I've read this year. It's intriguing from the first word to the last. I rarely get chance to sit and read a book from start to finish, but this is one of those that you just *have* to make time for.
The characters draw you in so easily and you feel a real connection to them. As the story builds, your love for them grows and you find yourself embroiled in an emotional roller coaster.
There are plenty of laughs along the way, but if you're an emotional so-and-so like me, there'll be plenty of tears too. When I fall in love with a book, I fall hard, and this is one of those times. Alaya and Cole are two amazing characters that I couldn't help but get emotionally involved with. They really tugged at my heartstrings. Especially Cole. Why? Well you'll have to grab yourself a copy of Bet On Me and find out. I would totally bet on Cole, any day of the week!

This is only the second book by Mia Hoddell that I have read, but I think she's an amazing author. She crafts worlds and words that you can't help but love. She plays on your emotions and I don't know about you, but I love an author that does that. It seems her whole purpose is to make you feel like you are the one living the story. The words on the pages truly come to life around you and it plays out like a movie in your mind. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself!
I can't wait to read more from Mia Hoddell and after reading this, I would be willing to bet you'll feel the same.

The Worst of Me
The Worst of Me

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read., 1 May 2016
This review is from: The Worst of Me (Kindle Edition)
This is the first of Lisa J Hobman's books that I have read. I've read one by Lissa Jay, but they couldn't be further apart.
The Worst of Me had me hooked by the blurb and I haven't got over it yet, even though I finished reading several days ago. I love Nick Dacre something fierce. At first, he's everything you expect a rock star to be, arrogant, spoiled, man-(bleep)... But if you scratch the surface, you find he's actually a genuine, sweet, caring guy. It's funny to find that he's got a heart instead of a lump of clay.
The storyline is captivating and intriguing. It's a fast-paced, page-turner and you can't help but lose yourself within the glorious surroundings of rural, beautiful Scotland.
I absolutely love 'Cat for short,' she is so spunky and feisty, everything you would want in a woman to make a perfect match for Nick. Only, the love-match doesn't seem so perfect. Nick screws up in silly little ways at first, but it's only a matter of time before the mother of all screw ups, something Cat surely can't forgive...?!

The Worst of Me was one of the best books I've read so far this year. It's got everything a girl could possibly want in a story. Sex-God/Rock Star + female protagonist that doesn't take kindly to him turning up in her town... It's got EPIC written all over it.

Lisa J Hobman is a very talented author. The way she draws you in, gets your emotions tangled up in the characters, then she sucker punches you when you least expect it. Yeah, she rocks. I'm looking forward to reading more by her in future.

The Other Man (The Other Man Series Book 1)
The Other Man (The Other Man Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hotter than hellfire!, 29 April 2016
This is the first book I have read by D Breeze, but I can guarantee it won't be the last - partly because there's another book after it, which I am downloading the second I finish my review - but also because it has opened my eyes to a very talented author.
This book was like an addiction. It hooked me, crawled under my skin, then worked its way into my heart.
I picked this book up this morning because I've been in a bit of a reading funk and I needed something to jolt me out of it. Boy did it do that, with bells on! I finished reading this afternoon after losing a massive chunk of time, lost to the entrancing words on the pages.
I have to say, I don't know whether it was the characters or the storyline that drew me in most. A lot of books I read, it's one or the other, but with The Other Man, it was...both. Carlie? I hated her with an intense passion. A woman as vapid, self-absorbed and quite honestly mentally draining as her, pfft! don't even get me started on how many ways I hate her. How can a fictional character make me hate them so vehemently?
Blake? Well, he's...*searches for the right word*... I get that he's in a situation he'd rather not be in. I get that he has feelings he doesn't know how to explore. He's hard to get a read on at first glimpse.
But after you get a little more insight, you can't help but love him.
Zach? There are no words for how awesome he is. The two of them together have the power to be an incredible couple. I have a feeling they might have a lot in store for them to get over, but they deserve true happiness.

From the moment I picked this book up to the moment I put it down, I can honestly say there was nothing I didn't enjoy. I have loved getting to know Blake and I hope in book 2 we find out more about Zach. He was a standout character for me.

Going in to this book, I wanted something to grab my attention and D Breeze did not disappoint. The story ignited a fiery feeling in my veins and the lust-laced words could very well be a woman's undoing.
I didn't expect to finish the book in one sitting, but before you knew it, the words The End, were there on the page. It's left me feeling bereft. I need to start reading The Only Man right NOW! I am so ready for more from these characters and from this author. The way Dannii articulates things...It was a far hotter read than 50 Shades. I would rate it 10 stars if I could.

Into The Fire: Volume 1
Into The Fire: Volume 1
by Kelly Hashway

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning New Story, Can't Wait For More, 23 Feb. 2016
This book was superb. What a unique concept where the main character is a Phoenix. I can honestly, hand on heart say I've never read a story like it before. Not just because of the plot line, but because of the beautifully crafted characters. Each character, whether primary or secondary, were just as important to the story as each other. Yes, Cara is our lead, but without the cast of supporting characters, you wouldn't have the same story. And what a crying shame that would be.
Kelly Hashway certainly knows how to craft a story to pique my interest. She has me hook line and sinker with the first page and always leaves me yearning for more. I am having trouble waiting for book two to come out. I'm not impatient, per se, I just don't like to wait when I know a series is going to be as amazing as I know this one will be.
Kelly has a way of pulling me in to her stories and making me feel like there's a live-action movie playing in my minds eye. The way she shows you the story instead of just telling it, that's probably what I like the most about her.

Fans of YA, love stories and unique selling points, INTO THE FIRE is the book for you. You'll fall in love, you'll laugh, shout at your kindle/book and if you're anything like me, there'll be tears too. Make sure you have tissues ready just in case. Oh and if there's some tool to pry your heart out of your throat, grab one of those too.

Chameleon Soul (Chequered Flag Book 1)
Chameleon Soul (Chequered Flag Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-Wrenching and Phenomenal, 7 Feb. 2016
*Warning: May contain things you find spoilery. That wasn't intentional, but read on at your own discretion*

I am a zombie. Not four words I'd normally begin a review with, but true nonetheless. Why? Two reasons. Reason One: I am still awake at 3:40am writing my review. Reason Two: Mia Hoddell has ripped my heart out, thus, I must be dead.

Now we've got that established, let's get on to what I thought of the book. I am not sure I have many coherent words to form sentences right now, but let's give it a try.
I am an emotional train wreck. My heart has been torn out of my chest, only to be replaced with the valves the wrong way round, so it isn't working properly. Why? Oh so many reasons.

This book is the kind that pulls your heartstrings from the very first chapter. I didn't know what to expect, with the story twisting and turning, this way and that. I was all bent out of shape by Raine's obvious torment. She's a broken, empty shell of the person she once was. Whereas before, she had a bright future with a wonderful guy, now she is but a shadow of her former self. Nightmares that plague her, dark alleyways that take her back to the night her life changed irreparably, people taunting her and making her life a misery.

Teo was meant to be a race car driver. It was all he wanted. All except Raine, that is. The two loves of his life were his girl and fast cars. Then, one night, his life changed. One phone call put him on a path to near self destruction. The only way to take his mind off things was to sleep with the grid girls in all the different countries he raced in. But they could never full the void in his life where Raine was meant to be. They were an easy lay, a quick fix, but not a permanent one.
Then race season finished and he found himself back on UK soil. What followed was an emotional roller coaster for both him and Raine. Teo didn't know the truth about the past, all he knew was he'd never stopped loving one girl.
Raine was living with Teo's brother, Dustin - who, by the way, is a wonderful character - and it seemed fated that the two would run into each other at some point. After all, upon his return home, Teo would want to see his brother.

What ensued was a beautifully written, heart wrenching tale of love, hurt, loss and redemption.

Mia Hoddell's writing is beautiful in a breath taking way. She has you gripped from the beginning and puts your heart through the wringer until the bitter end.
I was meant to be on the blog tour earlier this week, but life got in the way and I had to reschedule. Then, last night, I said I wouldn't be able to finish the book in time to write a review. I hated myself for it because when I say I'm going to do something, I always see it through. I'd been reading all day and was only at 60%, there was no way I would be finished in time... Or was there? What I didn't know was that I wouldn't be able to put the book back down until I had finished. 3:15am, I finally read the last word, with tears blurring my vision and stinging like hell.
I was an absolute wreck. Both because of staying up so late, and because of all the pain Mia had put me through.
Raine and Teo's journey wasn't all rainbows and unicorns. It wasn't some fantastical tale of boy meets girl, boy keeps girl, they live happily ever after. Instead it was full of heartache and tears. It's the kind of story that brings about a hell of a book hangover.
I'm still typing at 4:00am because I couldn't wait until tomorrow to express how I felt. The tumultuous journey this couple went through is something I won't forget in a hurry.

In summary, Chameleon Soul is a hauntingly brilliant book, that as an author myself makes me want to strive to be better. I want to bring out the emotions in my readers that Mia did with me. It was astoundingly written, with a gripping story arc, brilliant characters that felt tangible and real, there was an instant connection to them and their lives. I am left in awe.

My heart may never function properly again, but if I could rewind time, I'd live through it all again because some stories are just worth it. This one was of them.

If you haven't already grabbed yourself a copy of this book, I want to know why not? Are you insane? 😉
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a real love story. Because this story is no fairytale, that's for sure. But when is real love like something out of the movies?! It's about the ups and downs, the highs and lows and making it through the other side.

It's now 4:15am, it's time to stop my rambling and go to sleep, and so I bid you goodnight... I mean, morning... I'm off to dream of Teo.

Into The Fire (Gorgeous Entourage Book 1)
Into The Fire (Gorgeous Entourage Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Steamy, Sexy and Awesome, 30 Jan. 2016
If you like inked men, then you're going to love Ash. He's your typical "love 'em and leave 'em" kind of guy. He doesn't do romance, he doesn't do dating, and he certainly doesn't do falling in love. His parents want to see him settle down with a girl and when a friend suggests hiring an escort to play the part of a loving girlfriend, he thinks this may be the key to his freedom.

Alessandra is a beautiful young woman, she's classy, funny, intelligent, she's what some people would call "the total package." Men hire her to escort them for the evening. Typically they're lonely men, looking for female company to prove to people that they aren't as lonely as they may seem. She plays the part perfectly, always on hand to make exes jealous. She doesn't have time for a real boyfriend as she's too busy with her job. But when Ash walks into her life, he's not the "typical" type of guy to hire an escort. He's hot, funny and inked. Why would he need to hire someone to pretend to be his girlfriend when he could have anyone he wanted? Women must be falling over themselves to get to him. What Alessandra doesn't realise is that he needs a fake girlfriend, not the real thing, and he needs her fast.

What starts out as just another job for Alessandra soon feels like it could be more. But Ash warned her from the off that she wouldn't change who he was, nor would he end up wanting a relationship with her. He'd made that perfectly clear. She wasn't sure what she saw in him that made her want more. He's funny and charming, he's good looking too. But he's also arrogant, everything he says seems cocky and he acts like such a jerk. Why is it she can't stop wanting something that's clearly never going to happen?

Into The Fire is exciting, it has you hooked from the first page to the last. Alessandra and Ash make one hot couple... Or not a "couple" in this case. There's plenty of fireworks in the bedroom department. The story is littered with emotion, laughter and in some cases, tears.

I could not put this book down.
If you are looking for a steamy read, this certainly ticks all the right boxes. You can't help but love Ash, even though he'd never love you back.

It's hard not to get your emotions all churned up when reading this book. You can't help but form a bond with the characters. My only wish is that it hadn't had to end. I wasn't ready for their story to be over. But it is, and I recommend it to anyone who loves a fast-paced, exciting read.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14