Profile for Mr Anthony R Cook > Reviews

Content by Mr Anthony R Cook

Mr Anthony R Cook

Moto G Premium Quality Screen Protector : Anti Glare edition (Twin Pack - 4 x Front skinz) by TUFFskinz

5.0 out of 5 stars Top class product with useful how-to video, 3 April 2014
First rate, and the how-to video on YouTube is really helpful. Also useful to be given the sturdy plastic card for smoothing out the cover.

Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis
Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis
by Harold Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated techniques for stunning results, 3 Nov. 2013
The first book I bought by Harold Davis was on flower photography, and his techniques have transformed my approach to this, and many other, photographic subjects. The use of a lightbox, and shooting multiple photos at different exposures, and then combining them in Photoshop, was all new to me. But Harold takes the reader through it all, step by step, with many examples to illustrate his methods.

His use of different Blend modes with layer masks, applied to the technique described above is jaw-droppingly simple, but HUGELY effective. I'm now routinely able to extend tonal range without the usual hideous HDR characteristics.

Then I bought The Way of the Digital Photographer. It's rare for me to buy books, because I normally do my learning from online sources. Harold's philosophy and teaching are clear and easy to follow. Even when he changes gear and becomes more technical, he explains his methods in a step by step fashion that's very successful. He's humorous too, which helps!

What I especially like is that he gives worked examples of every technique, and, like every good teacher, moves from the simple to the complex, and from the familiar to the unfamiliar, recapping at every stage. As an ex-teacher-trainer myself I'd say his writing/teaching is impressive.

Then along came Harold's Monochromatic HDR Photography. Which I bought! I thought I had already learned lots about post-processing from his previous books, but Harold takes it to a whole new level - with stunning results.

All the books are must-haves for those photographers who want to produce the very finest work that the digital negative contains.

Monochromatic HDR Photography: Shooting and Processing Black & White High Dynamic Range Photos
by Harold Davis

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner!, 3 Nov. 2013
This is the third book by Harold Davis that I've bought in the past three months. I had learned lots from the first two, and wondered if in fact he'd have much to say that was new. Well, I needn't have worried!

Bravo!

The Way of the Digital Photographer: Walking the Photoshop post-production path to more creative photography

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational!, 3 Nov. 2013