Profile for Helena Fedi > Reviews

Content by Helena Fedi

Helena Fedi (London, UK)

Zero In Clothes Moth Killer (300 ml Aerosol, Transparent, Surface Treatment Spray, Kills Clothing Moths and Larvae in Household Storage Areas, Protects for up to 12 Months)

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 12 Oct. 2015
It works but it is quite potent, so make sure to wear a mask!

Astro 0906 GR10 Osaka Ceiling Light
Astro 0906 GR10 Osaka Ceiling Light
Offered by Liminaires Lighting

5.0 out of 5 stars Plastic Fantastic, 12 Oct. 2015
Yes it is plastic, so at first I had a shock when I opened the package, as the price tag is quite hefty for a bathroom light. However, once it has been installed, it produces a lot of light and you cannot see the light bulb through the plastic. Plus, since it is plastic, condensation is less of a bother than on glass, as it doesn't gets quite as cold. The lightbulb produces a lot of light, and it is quite cool in tone, so if you are after some warm lighting and your walls are not a warm tone I would consider another lightbulb / lamp.

MIU COLOR® Pet Deshedding Tool & Grooming Tool for Small, Medium & Large Dogs + Cats, with Short Hair and Long Hair (L, Blue)
Offered by Union J Plaza

4.0 out of 5 stars It's good and it does the job, 12 Oct. 2015
It's good and it does the job, however it is quite large for medium to small cats and difficult to manouvre around the neck and back of legs. I would buy the same make again and recommend this tool, but only for dogs or large cats or if they start selling a smaller one.

Pattern Maker - Metric
Pattern Maker - Metric

1.0 out of 5 stars Measurements are incorrect, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Pattern Maker - Metric (Misc.)
I have a better quality Patternmaster but I needed a second one and after reading the good reviews left by other people I thought this good be a good purchase despite being less than half the price of the original. I guess you get what you pay for... only in the case of the tool that I got what I got is not nearly enough. Basically, the key problem is that the seam allowance on the curve is not accurate: it is 8.5mm instead of 10mm. A measuring tool is supposed to measure accurately and whereas 1.5mm is not much, out of principle I refuse to pay for something that doesn't do what it is intended to do, so I return the item. Comparing it with a better quality tool, I can say as well that the plastic is milky, has bubbles and the lines are not strong and will fade much quicker than a good quality one. Some of the lines are also wobbly at points. Maybe I just got bad luck and my particular item was faulty, but I would strongly recommend that if you are already used to high quality tools or are very particular about precision that you don't buy this item because you will be disappointed.

Handbags (Pocket Collectors)
Handbags (Pocket Collectors)
by Judith Miller

2.0 out of 5 stars Disorientating, 4 Feb. 2009
As a student of Fashion Accessories I found some of the images in this book of extreme interest, as there are many novelty (if mostly cutesy) and unusual designs amongst its pages. Classic designs are totally lacking from its pages, and it seems to me there is an evident and very subjective and personal choice towards the highly ornamental and precious style of bag, which is reflected in the lack of designs from the 70s to present (out of the 448 pages, about 20 are dedicated to them). Also, the choice of bags for each period is not necessarily representative of that period.

This is a very difficult book to navigate and browse if you are looking for something in particular. It is not user friendly. I cannot comment on its suitability as a bag collectors guide as my point of view is that of a designer. I have found myself bookmarking several pages with notes as I cannot otherwise find the pictures I am looking for.

The text contains some interesting facts but is not always relevant and the quotes cited are often not related to the pictures they have been placed next to.

All that said, if you are interested in the unusual and the unique, you will find very interesting designs amongst its pages.

Handbags
Handbags
by Anna Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Petite but precious, 4 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Handbags (Paperback)
Being a student of Fashion Accessories I found this book extremely useful as visual inspiration as well as informative with well researched and interesting text. The book covers the history of the handbag and the purse well ans shows a wide range of styles and functions, from classics to precious, through quirky and epoque designs. I would highly recommend this book to anyone studying fashion design or any other type of design. And if you love handbags, you cannot help but love this book. It really is a little gem.