Profile for Mrs A > Reviews

The Rough Guide to California
The Rough Guide to California
by J. D. Dickey

4.0 out of 5 stars Used it before and during my trip, 9 Mar. 2015
I used this book for planning a one-month trip to San Francisco, Yosemite and nothern California, and carried it around while we were there. Generally useful and up-to-date, the only complaint I have is that it failed stress sufficiently the dire quality of food available in Yosemite and accordingly it might be better to stay outside the park, if only for that reason. Otherwise, I found much helpful advice in all sections of the book, and it contributed to the success of our trip.

Flight Behaviour
Flight Behaviour
by Barbara Kingsolver

5.0 out of 5 stars Of butterflies and men, 9 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Flight Behaviour (Paperback)
If ever a book was going to engage your interest in the climate change debate without using facts and figures, this is the one. But don't make the mistake of thinking this is a polemic - it is a real story, with genuine characters and human interest, not forgetting the amazing butterflies, whose story is also told here.

Silent Tears: Poems & Other Stories
Silent Tears: Poems & Other Stories
by Stephen George

3.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for musing over on a journey, 9 Mar. 2015
A collection of varied short stories and some poems, the breadth of which reflects the author's life and experiences in different countries across the continents. Will appeal to anyone who likes to learn the backstories of well-known events or is interested in some lesser-known aspects of life post-war up to the modern day. Some attractive illustrations inside - a shame there aren't more: my favourite was of the mother and baby elephant. An eclectic selection, ideal for dipping into, perhaps on a journey, as many of the stories involve travel.

Dancing Magic (Silverlake Fairy School)
Dancing Magic (Silverlake Fairy School)
by Elizabeth Lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars End of term excitement for Lila, 15 Feb. 2013
This continuation of Lila's adventures ends with the end of term show, given by the Charm one fairies. Princess Bee Balm goes even further in her attempt to wreck Lila's happiness, but Captain Klop shows his friendship once again.

All the elements we have met so far are there, and some new themes are introduced. The story is well-paced and interesting and nice to read aloud. I am reading it with my nine-year old daughter and we are enjoying the stories very much, and looking forward to the next instalment!

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Picture Puffin)
Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Picture Puffin)
by Bill Martin Jr.
Edition: Album

4.0 out of 5 stars Teaching English to young learners, 1 May 2012
I teach English to all classes in my daugher's school in France and I use "Brown Bear, Brown Bear" to teach vocabulary of animals and colours to children aged 3-8, and the position of the adjective and noun for ages 8-11. It's a more fun way of doing it than just explaining the grammar!

Farm Boy
Farm Boy
by Michael Morpurgo

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite follow on, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Farm Boy (Paperback)
My 8-year old daughter and I read "War Horse" earlier this year and I thought we would enjoy reading the sequel. Although the story is interesting enough, we found ourselves irritated by having to read the recap of the original story, clearly inserted for people who had not read "War Horse" in order to make this a stand-alone story. That would have been acceptable had there not been changes made retrospectively to the original story, so we found ourselves saying 'but that's not what happened in the first story'. I am disappointed that neither the author nor his editor would have considered that readers might read the stories consecutively and therefore notice these discrepancies.

From Head to Toe (Picture Puffin)
From Head to Toe (Picture Puffin)
by Eric Carle

5.0 out of 5 stars Teaching English to young learners, 1 May 2012
I teach English to all of the classes in my daughter's school in France - that's from ages 3 to 11 - and this book is a useful and fun way to teach actions, parts of the body and animals. The only page I omit is 'kick like a donkey' because it's not practical in a small area with excited children! Children of all ages like doing the actions and the older ones can remember the vocabulary.