Profile for NGSpeaking > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Powerage
Powerage

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic - but pity it's the American edition, 24 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Powerage (Audio CD)
Like some others, I think this is the best AC/DC album - and if it didn't have such a crummy album cover (Angus with RIBBONS coming out of his sleeves - WTF), and maybe had a more suitable title, it would be more universally recognised as the classic it is. The songs have more about them than their other albums, being more about real life and may well take more than one listen to get into - no Let There Be Rock or Whole Lotta Rosie on this one, but the driving rhythms here work their way into your bones!
Down Payment Blues is perhaps the best example of this, with a relentless riff and Angus ranting about someone once rich who owns a Cadillac but now can't afford the gasoline. Bon Scott is streetwise, clever and funny in his lyrics throughout the album and there's not a weak track on it.
My only major gripe with this release is that, as far as I'm aware, only the American edition is available on CD, in which Rock n Roll Damnation has been slapped on in place of a great track called Cold Hearted Man in the pursuit of a hit single in the States - in my opinion an inferior track that doesn't suit the rest of the album. Also, some tracks, such as What's Next To The Moon, have been overdubbed with god-awfull backing vocals and hand-clapping - much to their detriment.
Please can we have the EUROPEAN version on CD? Until then I'll have to stick with playing my 1978 vinyl - which ain't such a bad thing.

The Hobbit Trilogy [DVD] [2015]
The Hobbit Trilogy [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Martin Freeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - if a little stretched., 1 Feb. 2016
Expectations were high when the first movie was released in the cinemas and I would say I was initially disappointed with it, so I didn't go to see the other two at the time. Think I enjoyed watching the whole set on DVD more, except maybe for the last one in which the 5 army battle scene gets more & more ridiculous and dragged out.
I think the 2nd movie is the best of the trilogy and that the whole thing should have been 2 movies, rather than 3.
The only extras on each DVD are 1 or 2 trailers and a 6-7 min movie about the locations in New Zealand, which is fair enough for the price.

MiniSun 4w LED SES E14 R50 Reflector Spotlight Bulb - Cool White / Daylight
MiniSun 4w LED SES E14 R50 Reflector Spotlight Bulb - Cool White / Daylight

3.0 out of 5 stars Light too blue, 8 Dec. 2015
It works fine - so far so good - but I do not like the cold blue/white light it gives out. Give me warm or daylight version of the same bulb please.

The Blue Max [DVD] [1966]
The Blue Max [DVD] [1966]
Dvd ~ George Peppard

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the (very) few great WW1 aircraft movies, 8 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Blue Max [DVD] [1966] (DVD)
This, Aces High (1976) and possibly Wings (1927) are, in my view, the only good movies made about WW1 pilots. Ridiculous that all others made since have been so bad, especially recent efforts, such as The Red Baron and Flyboys, which have silly OTT CGI sequences to satisfy only the morons of this world.
It is very interesting to see the story from a German perspective, especially their class system being so similar to our own, and how the protagonist's attitude to death is so different from the other pilots, having spent 2 years in the trenches before becoming a pilot. Also, their reaction to his increasing fame and the great battle scenes leading to the film ending with a twist that I won't divulge here.
One thing that confuses me is that there are two versions of this available on DVD on Amazon, with one costing twice as much as the other - for no apparent reason, as far as I can see. The information is the same for both versions, so I got the cheaper one and am happy to report that it is of good quality.
Another thing to point out is that for some peculiar reason there is a 3 minute 'Intermission' 1:26hrs into the movie with just theme music playing over the image of a Blue Max medal. Yes, the award-winning music is good but I'm not sure what this is doing here!
Anyway, definitely well worth purchasing the cheaper DVD.

Plastic Sleeves 150 Micron Pack of 100Pcs
Plastic Sleeves 150 Micron Pack of 100Pcs
Offered by Dragon Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, 4 Dec. 2015
The plastic material is not flimsy like other sleeves I have got before and they are the right size, unlike others which can be too tight a fit.
My only gripe against it is the top leaf parts which look as though they will come away in no time.

Play Guitar Made Easy: Acoustic, Rock, Folk, Jazz & Blues (Music Made Easy)
Play Guitar Made Easy: Acoustic, Rock, Folk, Jazz & Blues (Music Made Easy)
by Jake Jackson

1.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, baffling - or simply a con?, 25 Nov. 2015
Totally confused by this book. The book has a Q code to link to a website (flametreemusic.com) on your mobile phone (instead of a CD) but all you get is a basic chord web page - no links for the specific exercises in the book, as far as I can see. The website is very basic except it asks you to register with them for £4.99 a year - what you get for this is not made at all clear.
My only conclusion has to be that this is some sort of con. AVOID.

COOL WHITE LED KITCHEN / UNDER CABINET LIGHTING SET (4 x 50CM LED STRIPS & SUPPLY) ** FANTASTIC LED LIGHTING PACKAGE - IDEAL FOR TRANSFORMING KITCHENS, PLINTH LIGHTS, UNDER CABINETS **
Offered by Brightlightz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bright enough for me, 5 Nov. 2015
I found these lights to be too dim, so returned them. This is because they are only 30 LEDs per metre - only suitable for decorative purposes. To use for cooking you need 60 LEDs per metre and I would recommend 'Daylight' LEDs, rather than 'Cool' (too cold/blue) or 'Warm' (too yellow). Other than that this product is actually a good idea, with power transformer and cable connections included - but only for kitchen decoration.

LE MR16 GU10 LED Bulbs, 50W Halogen Bulbs Equivalent, 3.5W, 350lm, Warm White, 3000K, 120° Beam Angle, Recessed Lighting, Track Lighting, LED Light Bulbs, Pack of 10 Units
Offered by NEON Mart

4.0 out of 5 stars Brighter than 50w lights, 28 Oct. 2015
I replaced all my 50w spotlights around the house with these recently and they are all working well so far - will see if they last. They are significantly brighter than the 50w ones they replaced, though - a bit brighter than I would prefer, to be honest. Would maybe try a lower wattage version next time.

STABILO 'WRITE-4-ALL' CD/DVD ALL PURPOSE PERMANENT MARKER PEN - BLACK - MEDIUM (PACK OF 3)
Offered by K Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Just right, 28 Oct. 2015
When the pens arrived they were labelled as 'F' (for 'fine' nib), rather than 'M', as in the photos, but it turns out they are just right for me. All a bit confusing but I am happy with them. Most CD pens are too fine for me - these slightly thicker ones are better.

HDMI Gold Plated Video Cable For Apple iPad iPod Touch iPhone 2 3GS 3g 4 4g Adapter New IOS9 Compatible
Offered by TECHNOPRO

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 28 Oct. 2015
Works perfectly on my iPad 2 with IOS 9.1. The picture watching movies & YouTube etc. on my Panasonc TV is beautifully sharp - better than on the iPad itself. My only gripe is that I could have done with a longer lead.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6