Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Shop now Fitbit
Profile for Roger D. > Reviews

Content by Roger D.

Roger D. "pterolepis"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Braun Digital Alarm Clock, White
Braun Digital Alarm Clock, White

1.0 out of 5 stars Eats batteries and radio has never worked., 14 May 2017
Bought for my daughter as an upgrade on a £5 Ikea job for her birthday. We never got the radio to work on any of the settings. It simply never locks on to a signal. We are in central Edinburgh so hardly remote. Gave up on using the radio setting and do it manually.

Battery lasts about 6 to 8 weeks if you're lucky even with the radio set to off. Every alarm I've ever had the battery lasted at least a year.

I bought it from JohnLewis and would take it back but because I gifted it and it took months till my daughter mentioned the battery thing (she didn't want to hurt my feelings I think) all the packaging and receipt have gone.

Design is nice - that is why I bought it.

Maybe I got a duff one. If it worked it would be fine. I'd recommend keeping receipt carefully and being cautious. There are a lot of reviews from people who have only had it a short time.

Arrival [DVD]
Arrival [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amy Adams
Offered by CARLOS RODRIUEZ

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Brilliant. Science Fiction. Spiritual., 20 Mar. 2017
This review is from: Arrival [DVD] (DVD)
Brilliant. Brilliant. Science Fiction / Spiritual. Cult. Watch this film. Going to be one of my all time favourites.

Streetwize Car & Motorcycle Automatic Trickle Battery Charger for Gel / Lead Acid Batteries 12 V
Offered by Blyme

4.0 out of 5 stars But did smell funny! Hence down a star, 30 Nov. 2016
It works. Used on 105aH battery from van and it brought it back to health over a few days. But did smell funny! Hence down a star.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 13, 2016 9:14 AM GMT

Ohuhu Hardwood Home & Studio Guitar Hanger, 2 Pack
Ohuhu Hardwood Home & Studio Guitar Hanger, 2 Pack
Offered by Elecsmart

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for all classical guitars, 12 Nov. 2016
These are OK. They are cheap and cheerful and work BUT
- They are not wide enough for all guitars. I had to bend one a little wider for my classical guitar. (see photo)
- The rawl plugs are useless. Even if they are appropriate for your wall they do not go flush to the surface and, as there are no indents on the back of the mounts to accommodate them the mounts won't fit flat to the surface. You'll need your own rawl plugs if you are going directly into a wall.
- The screws will probably be too small. You'll need your own screws.
- If your mounting onto wood you are probably fine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 15, 2016 8:32 AM GMT

Proster Barcode Scanner Reader Optical Laser High Speed -Mac Win 7 8 10 Linux - Manually Long Range USB Wired POS Laser Handheld
Offered by Kamtop

3.0 out of 5 stars DOES NOT SUPPORT OS X 10.11 onward, 23 Aug. 2016
Something changed in Mac OS X El Capitan (maybe earlier) so that it doesn't support keyboards emulation barcode readers which is a pain. So this may support earlier Macs but not the latest as far as I can see - please tell me something different.

Fortunately I bought this for messing with LibraryThing.com and can use it on my Chromebook and it works fine. Also for messing with a Raspberry Pi - still working on that.

The Mindfulness Survival Kit: Five Essential Practices
The Mindfulness Survival Kit: Five Essential Practices

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 May 2016
Classic

Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read. Some good suggestions and makes you think, 24 April 2016
A good read. Some good suggestions and makes you think. I had to knock a star off for Cal's total lack of self deprecation especially in the conclusions - but then he is American - and also for the lack of irony in not mentioning that producing as many academic papers a year as possible the shallowing out of science. Yes one can have lots of clever ideas through deep thinking but to actually empirically test those ideas takes more than a couple of weeks per paper.

The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed it., 11 April 2016
This review is from: The Invisible Man (Kindle Edition)
A classic that is well worth a read. Really enjoyed it.

Sane New World: Taming the Mind
Sane New World: Taming the Mind

2.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't recommend to those who are not Ruby Wax fans., 10 April 2016
There are a lot of five star reviews and I'm sure this hits the spot for many people. If you love Ruby Wax and/or have read and enjoyed the book that is great.

I gave up when she said "It all started with Dr Jon Kabat-Zinn" on page 149. It didn't. As she has done the masters in mindfulness she will have studied and maybe written essays on the Buddhist origins of mindfulness so it is disingenuous to put it mildly for her to say it started in the 1970's.

Bottom line is that, in a book like this, you need to feel the author is being honest with you and with themselves and I lost that feeling on page 149. The jokes were no longer funny.

Adventures in the Anthropocene: A Journey to the Heart of the Planet we Made
Adventures in the Anthropocene: A Journey to the Heart of the Planet we Made
by Gaia Vince

3.0 out of 5 stars Way too many words?, 21 Feb. 2016
I don't want to come on as a downer on this. It is a good book. There is loads of research. The style is relaxed and it is easy reading but it doesn't half go on. I found myself saying out loud whilst reading "Will you get the the point!". Then I skipped from half way through the Savannahs chapter to the Cities chapter. Then I gave up half way through that chapter. I've got some folded down corners for interesting bits to come back to but my overall feeling is it would be a better book if half as long.

“I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead.” ― Mark Twain

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8