Profile for Wendy McFarlane > Reviews

Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland
Queen Hereafter: A Novel of Margaret of Scotland
by Susan Fraser King

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piece of historical writing., 11 July 2016
What an absolutely marvellous story. It is so well written with oodles of factual and historical information on this much loved but private lady. I read it in one sitting after I had finished the first; Lady Macbeth, which this sort of follows on from. It is so refreshing to read stories from this era which are not written too often, if they are they're usually more brutal tales from the killing fields of those times. This was well paced, absorbing and I couldn't put it down at all until I had reached the end several hours later. Highly recommended and I hope she has more in the same vein to write about in the future.

Corrag
Corrag
by Susan Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars An accomplished future classic., 11 July 2016
This review is from: Corrag (Hardcover)
What can I say about this incredibly moving novel which hasn't been said already. It has now become one of my all time favourite stories to be read and enjoyed again and again; so much so I bought the audio version too. What an amazing piece of writing, highly recommended.

Sleeper's Castle
Sleeper's Castle
by Barbara Erskine

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to Hay on Wye for another adventure!, 11 July 2016
This review is from: Sleeper's Castle (Hardcover)
As I expected, this new and very welcome novel by my favourite author was no disappointment. I have been captured once again by her imagination and storytelling, swept away to Hay on Wye and completely enthralled by her talent. The setting was perfect; both present and past stories being equally interesting and the characters complimenting each other throughout the book. It was a little different than her sweeping Lady of Hay and some earlier novels but no less engrossing. It reminded me slightly of the style she used in Rivers of Destiny. I couldn't wait to read this and now it's finished, I'll no doubt go back and read it slowly again; the second of many more reads in the future. Excellent and highly recommended.

In the Blood (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book 1)
In the Blood (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start to a new series., 11 July 2016
Oh wow! A new series, a new author (to me) and I'm so happy to come across this. What a marvellous story. I found the writing incredible, the story exciting and absorbing and loved all the past years in the atmospheric Cornwall. S Robinson certainly knows his terrain and they way he composes the story, with just the right amount of information given to the reader through the book without giving away a very unexpected ending was so satisfying. I can highly recommend this. I have just read the second which was so moving and now am about to start number three in the series. What a find!

To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery)
To the Grave (Jefferson Tayte Genealogical Mystery)
by Steve Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars A tragically moving read., 11 July 2016
Having just read the first in the series and loving it, I tried this one, number two in the series. At first I thought it was a simple love story of lost love in the second world war but as it progressed this turned into something so much more complex and fascinating and I found myself holding my breath as I raced to the conclusion. It's a fantastic read, very moving and involving, written with excellent foresight into the mind set of families during those war years. It also touched on another matter pertaining to those times which was tragic; something I don't want to mention as if you haven't read it yet, it might spoil it for you. Needless to say it was read in one sitting, being absolutely impossible to put down. I can highly recommend this and the series so far and now am about to read number three; The Last Queen of England.

Alvar the Kingmaker
Alvar the Kingmaker
by Annie Whitehead

5.0 out of 5 stars the second novel by this wonderfully talented author bringing to life the life and times ..., 6 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Alvar the Kingmaker (Paperback)
Another winner, the second novel by this wonderfully talented author bringing to life the life and times of the people of that time. Wonderful, would highly recommend.

To Be a Queen
To Be a Queen
by Annie Whitehead

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful, almost soulful, 19 May 2016
This review is from: To Be a Queen (Paperback)
Elegant, beautiful, almost soulful. I can highly recommend this novel and hope she writes many more.

Lady Macbeth
Lady Macbeth
by Susan Fraser King

5.0 out of 5 stars I adore Scottish history novels and this was perfect for me, 14 May 2016
This review is from: Lady Macbeth (Hardcover)
Marvellous!! I adore Scottish history novels and this was perfect for me; right era, place, plot and Celtic myths. I would highly recommend if you enjoy a satisfying read, engaging with memorable characters in a setting to die for. I just loved all the herbal information and magic superstitions which were so relevant to those times, especially for the Celts whose lives were steeped in lore and magic, I could not put this down. One slight moan, it wasn't long enough but that's not a critical observation, it's proof of how good it was! Would highly recommend.I'm now reading the second novel, Queen Hereafter.

The Daughters Of Red Hill Hall: A gripping novel of family, secrets and murder
The Daughters Of Red Hill Hall: A gripping novel of family, secrets and murder

5.0 out of 5 stars It was wonderful can highly recommend, 14 May 2016
I have just finished this and wish I hadn't! It was wonderful can highly recommend.

Bryant & May - Strange Tide: (Bryant & May Book 13)
Bryant & May - Strange Tide: (Bryant & May Book 13)
by Christopher Fowler

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic addition to an already fabulously addictive series, 24 April 2016
A fantastic addition to an already fabulously addictive series. We join the PCU where we left them in the last book; waiting to see how Arthur would fare and whether or not his decent into madness would result in the end of the line for the detectives. This is an absorbing read, incorporating all the characters which make this such a unique series and one which I hope will run for several more books. I won't write too much about the story as to leak how it pans out would spoil the tale but safe to say it includes all the wacky elements we have come to expect, giving another book stuffed with history and folklore from old London town and a grand mystery to solve. With each book I think they can't get any better, but they do. What an amazing achievement from this talented author who I hope has many more eccentric ideas and plots up his sleeve to keep this series running. Highly recommended!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20