Profile for baz1980 > Reviews

Grudge, The [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sarah Michelle Gellar
Offered by ReNew Entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely scary film!, 9 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Grudge, The [DVD] (DVD)
I was a little sceptical of this film before seeing it as I thought that it was trying to ride on the back of the ring and similar films that have been hits in Japan and then remade for the western audience; however I'm pleased to say that this film did exactly what it said on the tin; scared me!
I must of seen a thousand 'scary' movies and it has to be said that only about 2 or 3 percent of them were actually scary. This is one of those rare releases. It will make you jump, and it will probably dissuade you from going downstairs in the dark for a late night cup of cocoa!
The cast play out the film well, but as with most horrors, there's little chance of any oscars being thrown their way. Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy, IKWYD Last Summer, Scooby Doo) plays Karen, an exchange student who volunteers at a care centre. She gets assigned to a patient whose normal carer has not turned up for work that day. Once she gets to the house of the patient she finds the patient collapsed on the floor, with the place looking a tip. Her life will never be the same again! Ted Raimi (whose been in everything from Evil Dead to Candyman to Wishmaster to the Spiderman movies) plays a rather geeky manager, he appears to be the manager of the care center where Karen works. He doesn't add much to this movie and it seems as though he was an afterthought in the writer or directors mind...he's not so convincing as the other characters which include Jason Behr (from the TV series 'Roswell') as Karen's boyfriend Doug, and William Mapother (Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, Swordfish, Mission Impossible II) as Matthew Williams.
The whole movie shifts about in time, we start at one point, then at the end of that scene, we switch to a few days earlier, then we switch to another time, then another time...but it's not done in a complicated 'Donnie Darko' way, it's easy enough to follow the movie.
If you're looking for a thought provoking, intellectual movie, this isn't for you.
If you're looking for a horror that's got plenty of irony, sarcasm and wit in it...this film also isn't for you.
This film is for those that just want plain horror and something to make you and your mates jump!
I enjoyed this movie, it was refreshing to find a horror movie that did it's job. :)
Baz

Carlito's Way [DVD] [1994]
Carlito's Way [DVD] [1994]
Dvd ~ Al Pacino
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brian De Palma masterpiece..., 3 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Carlito's Way [DVD] [1994] (DVD)
The very fact that Brian De Palma directed this film is a signal that this film is of a very high standard. Before Carlito's way he'd already directed Scarface, Carrie, The Untouchables, Casualties of War, and many many more, but this film with the possible exception of Scarface is, in my opinion, his best work.
The film depicts the life of a former Puerto Rican drug lord Carlito Berganzi (Al Pacino) from the moment his appeal is succesful and he is released from a 30 year prison sentence after serving only 5 years. Carlito pledges to keep his hands clean of any criminal activities...but Carlito sitting at home watching Trisha and drinking tea simply didn't cut it with the filming commission so instead he gets dragged down into the underworld yet again, mostly by his cocaine-addicted lawyer David Kleinfeld (Sean Penn), whilst the opposing force in Carlito's life, Gail (Penelope Ann Miller) tries desperately to pull him back to a normal, crime-free life.
The film is beautifully shot and there is no moment in the film, ever, when you think "oo I'll just pause it so I can go and make myself a coffee"...I have the attention span of a goldfish, and can rarely watch a 2hr 24mins movie without having a break in the middle for coffee, but this movie was non-stop and kept me completly engaged, 100%, from start to finish.
I don't need to tell you that Al Pacino does an awesome job...you already knew that, but Sean Penn and Penelope Ann Miller compliment Pacino's incredble acting skills perfectly.
If you are a fan of gangster/mob films (Scarface, Casino, Goodfella's, The Godfather Trilogy, etc) then you absoultely must see this film, NO gangster film collection can ever be complete without this momentous film.
This film is fully deserving of each and every one of the five stars I've given it!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2016 11:21 AM BST

The 51st State [DVD] [2001]
The 51st State [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Samuel L. Jackson
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Cast, Great Comedy, Great Film!, 30 Oct. 2004
This review is from: The 51st State [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
I love this film (I thought I'd start on a high!) and everyone I speak to that is from the North West of England (like myself) also loves this film. But then I talk to my more southerly friends, or American friends and they don't like it.
This puzzles me, and it was over a pint in the pub that I realised that this may well be down to the fact that people that are not from the North probably don't 'get' half of the jokes in the film!
Utd v Liverpool rivalry and Scouse talk, all feature heavily in this film. I didn't like this film because it was an action film...at all, I liked this film because it kept me laughing non-stop from the minute the film moves from America to Liverpool. The look on Sam Jackson's face when he's first confronted by a scouser is hilarious!
How they assembled the cast for this film I will never know, just about every character is a big name celebrity, and it works well.
This is an American film set mainly in England with mainly English characters that cleverly blends action with fantastic comedy. It's not supposed to be a realistic film, it's supposed to be a funny film. And it succeeds, big time!

Shaun of the Dead [DVD] [2004]
Shaun of the Dead [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Comedy of 2004!, 30 Oct. 2004
This film is pure genius! And I think the key to it's genius(ness) is exactly what it tells you on the DVD, it's NOT just a comedy, it's NOT just a horror and it's NOT just a romance, it's a ROM-ZOM-COM!
Any other comedy using a name very similar to a classic Romero film, would have been a spoof, it would have made fun of the zombies, the characters would all end up being fine and there would be lots of stupidity everywhere. This is absolutely NOT a spoof. It uses full on gore effects, to the full, and there are parts where you're on the edge of your seat! This is basically a film about normal people being stuck in a crazy situation, and about them being totally unprepared for it.
If you have seen Spaced, you will absolutely love this film! I've not met one person that doesn't really love this film so far, it's one film that absolutely must be in your DVD collection!
If you haven't seen Spaced and enjoy Shaun of the Dead, I recommend buying both series of Spaced on DVD!
The extra's on this film are ENDLESS (and good!)