Profile for Bookwormrunner > Reviews

Bookwormrunner (UK)

Hitting the Funny Bone: Cartoons from a Hospital Theatre 2017
Hitting the Funny Bone: Cartoons from a Hospital Theatre 2017
by A. J. Booth

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good cartoons showing just how things are in an operating theatre., 9 April 2017
A really funny "fly on the wall" glimpse into theatre life.

Cable Matters® Apple MFi-Certified Lightning to USB Cable - Yellow 1m
Cable Matters® Apple MFi-Certified Lightning to USB Cable - Yellow 1m
Offered by Cable Matters

5.0 out of 5 stars ... works and is still working - what's not to like!, 7 April 2017
It works and is still working - what's not to like!

Still Not Bionic: Adventures In Unremarkable Ultrarunning
Still Not Bionic: Adventures In Unremarkable Ultrarunning

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping to the end...., 7 April 2017
Another very inspiring book - thank you Ira. I am yet again inspired both by the success, but more by the struggle. It makes me believe that the journey is the adventure, not the goal at the end. I was a little worried at the beginning that it would be yet another of the recent books just to deal with personal demons and how running can cure mental illness. If only it were so easy! This is certainly not how the book tells the tale, and I would recommend it to all.
Having lived locally for the last 26 years too, I know not only the places and some of the races, but also quite a few of the people, which makes it all the more fun for me.

This Mum Runs
This Mum Runs
by Jo Pavey

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant running autobiography - highly recommended, 7 April 2017
This review is from: This Mum Runs (Hardcover)
Amazing book - a lot of the story was well-known to me as a keen athletics fan, but there is so much of the real Jo Pavey to get to know. This is so inspiring to read - the same struggles translate to us all in some way, and also lots of useful detail about what works and what doesn't. It is much better-written than many auto-biographies too. I bought another one for a friend who has loved the book as well.
Thank you so much Jo, for the book, and for being an inspiration to other mums that run - albeit slower!

The Way of the Runner: A journey into the fabled world of Japanese running
The Way of the Runner: A journey into the fabled world of Japanese running
by Adharanand Finn

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating - even better than Running with the Kenyans, 16 Oct. 2015
I actually thought this was a better book than Running with the Kenyans in many ways, although I agree with the other reviewer that it seems to come across that he preferred Kenyan running! But the whole investigation of culture is much more fascinating because it is just so different to our society, and so much less familiar to us than the african version. Loved it - where to next??

Devon Duvets UK - British Handcrafted Natural Woollen (Wool) Mattress Topper - King (150 x 200cm)
Offered by Devon Duvets

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 21 Mar. 2015
Another big thumbs up. I can't believe how it has transformed our very firm mattress into something more luxurious, yet still just as supportive. It feels wonderful. Some people have commented on woolly smell, but neither of us have noticed anything and it only got a few hours over the bannister, not a day outside as recommended, due to the weather.

Fat Man to Green Man: From Unfit to Ultramarathon
Fat Man to Green Man: From Unfit to Ultramarathon

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - very funny description of a runners journey, 25 Oct. 2014
Really enjoyed this - very amusing and self-deprecatory in style. Like the other reviewers say, it's a page-turner. Most of us who run regularly can relate to so many of those moments that he describes very well. Looking forward to a sequel please Ira! Can we imagine your description of MdS?

Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot
Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot
by John L. Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars This is so useful!, 27 Oct. 2013
I thought that either HR training was so obvious that why do you need a book about it, or that it was unnecessary. After all I've trained without one for years.
This book is so well written that it is a delight to use. The facts make sense, it's easy to follow, but the science is there. It really does make a difference to the quality of the training, and is very useful during races too. The appendices on periodisation etc are also very good.
However, the best bits are the fact it tells you to go out for a run frequently to test out where you've got to!
Highly recommended.

The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance
The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance
by RD, Jeff S. Volek PhD

5.0 out of 5 stars Fills that niche for low carb in endurance athletes, 15 Mar. 2013
There are quite a few good books on low carb diets and their benefits for the general population, reducing metabolic syndrome etc. I'd been given the Taubes book (also highly recommended) by a friend, but wondered if this would be useful to me, as a keen long-distance/marathon runner. I am lucky enough not to hit the wall as long as I stay well-fuelled, and don't tend to suffer from the digestive side-effects of the gels etc. But I'm interested in lowering body fat, and decreasing the inflammatory response to exercise too.....
So, this book is very well written. I'm a doctor, with a personal interest in nutrition, and the science is both well explained for non-medics and well-referenced etc for those with a scientifically critical approach. The science does make sense as a stand alone, but if you want lots of detail then go back to the Taubes or the first Art&Science book in support.
If you think that low carb for endurance is rubbish, then read this to challenge your thinking and if you are interested in any aspect of endurance training, then have a read and think about it...... go on...............

Nike+ SportWatch GPS powered by TomTom - Black/Volt (discontinued by manufacturer) (discountinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, and quite good occasionally!, 17 Jun. 2012
I've now had this for 13 months, and it has worked for about half of that.
Initially, there were only predictable things like slow linking to GPS. It works quite well once it does link, but distances were often different to that on my running mates watches. It's not easy to customise the screen etc.
Then many months of software glitches, reloading, hours of searching on fora for patches and fixes.
Eventually I found eagerfeet which would at least allow me to put the data into Runkeeper or Training Peaks, which is a far better interface than the Nike website.
The GPS data still won't upload about 20% of the time, with annoying message from Nike, "Great job getting out there, we have issues but we're working on it" - what still?!?!? - and stop patronising me!!! Yes, I know I've done a great job getting out there!
Now, the final straw, just after 12 months, the USB linkage has just stopped working, can't even charge it. So, as my husband says, that's an expensive bit of plastic that doesn't even work like a £10 watch anymore. And now it's out of warranty.
Seriously dissatisfied.