Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Alice Cooper Learn more Fitbit
Profile for Steve > Reviews

Content by Steve

Steve

Page: 1 | 2
Photographic Solutions Type 3 Sensor Swabs
Photographic Solutions Type 3 Sensor Swabs

4.0 out of 5 stars Requires patience in use, but helps to achieve a high degree of sensor cleanliness, 3 Jun. 2016
Used along with Eclipse optic cleaning fluid and a sensor loupe, I was able to clean the dust accumulated over a period of two years from my camera's sensor. It took four swabs to arrive at a condition where the camera's dust detection system showed a completely clean field. The most obstinate marks were probably acquired in a game park in Namibia, where the conditions are much dustier than in my native country. A ranger in the park told me that his camera had been completely ruined by dust, and that I should not hold out much hope for mine. However it seems to be working perfectly now, so this cleaning method appears to have been proved to my satisfaction. In practice it required both patience and persistence, and the state of apparently complete cleanliness was not easily achieved.

Visible Dust Quasar Sensor Loupe Focussing System
Visible Dust Quasar Sensor Loupe Focussing System

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps to remove the UFOs in a blue sky, 3 Jun. 2016
This proved very useful for examining the sensor on my digital rangefinder camera. I was able to locate the various dust marks that had accumulated in two years. With the help of swabs and cleaning fluid I eventually arrived at a point where the camera's dust detection system showed a completely clean field. I checked this by taking blue sky photographs and then examining them carefully at several magnifications on a large computer monitor. Since then I have taken many ordinary photographs with the camera, and its performance seems to be completely restored.

D1400/0100 10mm External Circlip (Pack of 10)
D1400/0100 10mm External Circlip (Pack of 10)
Offered by Bearing Shop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 4 Mar. 2016
Very simple, but completely effective for repairing my bread mixer bin shaft. Of course it would be virtually useless without a circlip tool, but I already had one in my tool kit.

Asus EONEMKII Essence One MKII MUSES Edition
Asus EONEMKII Essence One MKII MUSES Edition

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the Muses edition., 4 Mar. 2016
Unfortunately the previous reviewer is correct. This is not the Muses edition. When it arrived I checked the details and sent it straight back. I also advised Amazon to change the description on their web site.

Billion BiPAC 8800NL VDSL2/ADSL2+ with Gigabit and USB Port Wireless N Modem Router

5.0 out of 5 stars Much improved adsl performance with potential for staged transfer to vdsl, 24 Mar. 2015
Having suffered increasingly poor adsl performance in recent months, and contemplating upgrading to a fibre-to-the-cabinet service, I searched for a solution that would allow us to execute a staged transfer. The 8800NL has greatly improved our adsl mediated communication. It is run in half bridging mode, with the firewall situated on the first host, to which it is connected by ethernet and an adapter. We are not using its routing capability at present. That is done by another device on the local side of the firewall. Whilst keeping the same logical arrangement of network nodes, I intend to remove the BiPAC from our small office and place it next to the telecommunication socket, which is on a different floor. That should reduce the potential for noise injection on the telecommunication side. However it will require extension of the local network between the socket and the office.

The improvement in the adsl performance has provided enhanced communications reliability and a speed increase with a factor of about 2. We hope to make the transfer to the fibre based solution soon, but the urgency is much reduced as a direct result of the excellent performance of the BiPAC.

Billingham Hadley Small Canvas Camera Bag With Tan Leather Trim - Khaki
Billingham Hadley Small Canvas Camera Bag With Tan Leather Trim - Khaki

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat and effective bag, but avoid contact with oil or grease., 12 Dec. 2014
This bag is good for a small rangefinder camera with 3 lenses and ancillary items such as white balance cards and a blower. The canvas is a much better choice for me than nylon since it does not have a tendency to catch. However there is a warning in the accompanying literature to avoid grease, something that I was unaware of prior to purchase. Nevertheless the bag seems to work well in practice, and I am happy with it.

Polaroid Pocket-Sized Digital Grey Card Set With Quick-Release Neck Strap for Digital Photography
Offered by SmartShop UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple solution for subjects with artificial lighting, 8 Nov. 2014
These cards seem to make all the difference for photography of subjects with a component of artificial lighting. They easily fit in my camera bag and from there can be put to use within a minute. If using white balance correction in the camera, remember to cancel it after the session otherwise subsequent shots taken under normal lighting conditions will be spoiled.

Asus PA238Q 23-inch IPS Professional Monitor (1080p Pre-Calibrated, Display Port, HDMI, Ergo Stand)

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathing life into old pictures, 7 Oct. 2014
The screen is much better than my old CRT based monitor. Consequently my photo collection looks far better than it did, and reading text is altogether easier. I quickly got used to the different aspect ratio, and now find that it helps with more recent applications (like Hotmail and Lightroom). The monitor has extra USB ports which I sometimes use. It also has the ability to overlay grids, which seemed rather pointless initially. However now that I have been using it for a few weeks I find that it can be helpful when designing graphics.

Incarnation: Christmas Music (Gabrieli Consort/McCreesh)
Incarnation: Christmas Music (Gabrieli Consort/McCreesh)

3.0 out of 5 stars Very good singing, poor booklet, 12 Jan. 2014
The pitch and dynamic control, together with the overall ensemble, are excellent.

There are spelling errors in the Latin text in the accompanying booklet. Also it is generally difficult to distinguish the composer of the music from that of the poetry. Different fonts are used for that purpose, but it is not obvious.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2014 9:11 PM BST

Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner
Epson Perfection V700 Photo Scanner

4.0 out of 5 stars Epson V700 meets needs, 11 Nov. 2013
The V700 is rather bulky, but it produces excellent images from slides, negatives and prints. Used in combination with image enhancement programs it is possible to do a surprisingly good job of image recovery and restoration. Dust impedes good image recovery, and it is prudent to be clean, and careful so as not to tarnish the glass surface.

Used with Windows XP the drivers and software work well and produce very satisfactory results. I do not know about more recent operating systems. The iscan software (available on the internet), which supposedly supports the device in Linux, is disappointing. The V700 works fairly well with SANE in Linux, but control is far easier under MS Windows. When working with slides and negatives, I tend to scan the images in Windows, and then transfer them to Linux where they can be edited with the Gimp (Gnu Image Manipulation Program).

Page: 1 | 2