Profile for T. J. Jarratt > Reviews

Content by T. J. Jarratt

T. J. Jarratt (Hertfordshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
London's Hidden Walks: Volume 2 (Explore London)
London's Hidden Walks: Volume 2 (Explore London)
by Stephen Millar

5.0 out of 5 stars Could be good, 16 Jan. 2014
It looks fine and I reckon it will bring some excellent walks but, so far, I haven't used it.... so there is nothing I can truly review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2014 10:52 AM BST

Heresy
Heresy

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Heresy (Kindle Edition)
There is nothing wrong with this book. If you feel an interest in days past and activities appropriate to that period even including murder then read and enjoy. I thought I might enjoy but found I wasn't really interested. Tried to restart a couple of times but couldn't work up enough enthusiasm.
So. Well written with believable characters, locale and plot but just not for me.

Exodus (Extinction Point Series Book 2)
Exodus (Extinction Point Series Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars What follows?, 19 Dec. 2013
I really enjoyed this book as the second part of a thoroughly gripping tale. I am agog to discover in book three how P A Jones is going to explain the extraordinary events and how he is going to rescue his protagonists. He has a refreshingly ready pen when it comes to wiping out characters that you have just got to sympathising with and caring about so just maybe the ending could be a real gulper!

Edward Hopper's Maine
Edward Hopper's Maine
by Kevin Salatino

5.0 out of 5 stars A good glimpse, 19 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Edward Hopper's Maine (Hardcover)
I bought this book a fair while ago and have just been asked to review it so I am operating on memory of my thoughts rather as I have gifted the book elsewhere. I suppose you could look on this as ideal for a completist of Hopper's work as it only covers a section of his output. That said, there are some super works to see a lot of them fairly early but several which have become utterly representative of his best material. For me, the lighthouses rank very highly and there are some super etchings. I find the heavily impasto rock and seascapes a little claggy for my taste but carry an interest in showing his artistic development.

Turnstone (The Faraday and Winter Series Book 1)
Turnstone (The Faraday and Winter Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it, 4 Dec. 2013
This was a good read, well constructed and believably procedural. I enjoyed the book but beyond that there is little I can add except that I may well get further works by this author.

Extinction Point (Extinction Point Series Book 1)
Extinction Point (Extinction Point Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected, 28 Nov. 2013
Some of the earlier reviews of Extinction Point were a bit carping and suggesting that Emily Baxter shouldn't have done what she did and ought to have found other things better suited. What nonsense. As I found, Paul A Jones had a clear idea of the girl she really was and plotted her actions and reasons for them entirely believably. In short it's a damn good read, I enjoyed every twist and turn and can't wait for the sequel. Well done Paul A Jones.

The Plague Forge (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 3)
The Plague Forge (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I wished, 28 Nov. 2013
As I wrote in a review of the first book in this series I bought and deliberately held onto The Plague Forge before starting to read. Bit of a mistake. The cliff hangers that pepper this series came thicker and faster than ever and it was quite a task to get my thoughts together and keep up. Well worth it though. The pace quickens and quickens as the end nears. Often in this type of novel when some weird, unexplained and wildly unlikely premise, set up as the background, eventually leads to a wet, feeble ending. Not this time though. The conclusion of the current adventure is deftly explained and it makes a lot of sense. (Spoiler coming: It comes down to an attack of the dreaded Von Neumann machines). But it is more complex than that suggests and, with the Epilogue, left me feeling very satisfied with this excellent series.

Bread (87th Precinct)
Bread (87th Precinct)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just excellent, 19 Nov. 2013
I have read vast numbers of the 87th Precinct stories as well as others of Evan Hunters works. I loved them all and this was no exception. In fact I think I probably read it twenty to more years ago when it was first published. Always clever, always procedural, always with ongoing, interesting characters, just the thing for lightish entertainment.

The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 1)
The Darwin Elevator (The Dire Earth Cycle Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as I hoped, 19 Nov. 2013
I am always wary of titles by authors unknown to me so I took a bit of a flyer with Darwin Elevator. Let me just say that in classic-style SF I expect a solid background of explanation for the various wonders in the book otherwise it just becomes fantasy. I was initially intrigued by the elevator subject as I have read several good novels using this theme, Arthur C Clark's being the first. (I forget the title as it was such a long time ago!). The set-up and premise started well and believably then I began to get a bit restive as very little hard science backed up the talk of the thread and the factories, agricultural rings and so on. There is a diagram of the placing of the various parts of the ring which gives absolutely no feel for the distances involved or relative sizes and such. 40.000 kilometres was given as the distance from ground to the topmost point of the elevator but no idea of travel time which could well be several days, or ... well I could go on ... but this left me floundering a little and asking irritable sotto voce questions from time to time. However, the rest of the story bounced along very well and when I came to the end I immediately ordered Exodus Towers as, unusually for a trilogy, Darwin Elevator ends on an unresolved cliffhanger leaving the reader breathless and wanting more. In this second of the three books several of the SF questions were answered in quite an offhand manner, almost as if the author had been nudged by someone who pointed out that they should have gone in a lot earlier. Still - that was me satisfied. I have already completed Exodus Towers and have the final book of The Dire Earth Cycle on my Kindle but I am teasing myself to leave it for a couple of weeks as this is the last bit and I'm going to be sorry when it is finished. In other words a d*** good read!

Watched: When Road Rage Follows You Home (Kindle Single)
Watched: When Road Rage Follows You Home (Kindle Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very different, 14 Nov. 2013
Quite out of the blue, by some random picking process I was asked to read and do a kind of spellcheck on a preview of Kerry Wilkinson's newest book, 'Watched'. I agreed on the spot and settled to a new Jessica Daniels treat. But it isn't her this time!
Although one can see some of Kerry's 'Jessica' styling this is not that sort of tale at all. Although I was supposed to be carefully studying every sentence as I read I quickly found myself flying on from page to page with growing eagerness to discover how things were going to work out. Several times I had to go back and recheck many pages to do my task properly.
As the synopsis tells you, a road-rage incident soon upsets Esther and Charlie's delight in their newly bought home. During the next few days they are hounded by the enraged Dougie and his partner Leah. We are not told specifically why but, reading between the lines this very odd couple seem strongly bonded with their psychotic attitudes apparently powered by Leah's frightening mental instability. In any event a couple from Hell wreaking their ugly bullying in silence and secretly! Over the course of the next three weeks or so we watch as Charlie and Esther gradually collapse in on themselves, their peace of mind long vanished and with OCD springing up in Esther. Their happiness has gone and their relationship begins to disintegrate
There are few other characters in this book, Esther's parents appear briefly, we see Charlie's colleague and a couple of police but mainly, the interaction between the two couples drives the story along. Things don't get better but a brief ray of light appears near the end by which, although the Charlie and Esther will be reduced to near penury, they will probably be clear of the torment.
Despite this there is yet another horrible and vindictive occurrence leading inexorably to other extreme action which, only a few pages later, brings us to the story's final scenes. The ending is sudden, startling, shocking and dismayed me hugely.
I won't spoil this very readable novel by describing exactly why but it turns the entire book from a fascinating, psychological study to a disturbing, bleak tragedy. This is a new development by Kerry Wilkinson and absolutely certain to startle his fans.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11