Profile for S. J. Mann > Reviews

Darkmans
Darkmans
by Nicola Barker

1.0 out of 5 stars Exasperating, 3 April 2008
This review is from: Darkmans (Paperback)
I felt so exasperated reading this book. It's had some excellent reviews so I'm either missing something or it is hugely over-rated. None of the characters engaged me. I read about 150 pages and found my mind wandering the whole time. I wanted to relish it, find out why some have raved about it. I gave it three or four chances, but the same thing happened every time. Life is not long enough to dwell any further...

Relentless
Relentless
by Simon Kernick
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good to talk, 3 July 2007
This review is from: Relentless (Mass Market Paperback)
Why didn't he phone the police at the start when he heard his mate being murdered? It could have saved a lot of trouble...

That apart, decent enough plot. Ordinary writing. A bit like eating a couple of Cadbury's flakes in one go. Enjoyable while it's happening, but not very satisfying once you've finished.

Engleby
Engleby
by Sebastian Faulks

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark quality, 3 July 2007
This review is from: Engleby (Hardcover)
Pulp all copies of Charlotte Grey (come to think of it, they should have done that before it went on sale). It's hard to believe that book and this came from the same mind. Top quality.

The Interpretation of Murder
The Interpretation of Murder
by Jed Rubenfeld

1.0 out of 5 stars past its bestseller date, 5 Jun. 2007
It's extraordinary that this book is (still) doing well in the bestseller lists. Word of mouth, and the Richard & Judy book Club, is clearly very powerful - but alarmingly untrustworthy. I did read until the end,(which says something I suppose) but I was irritated with myself for doing so. It was an unconvincing mishmash of thriller and Freud. One of the most bizarre publishing successes of the last year.

The Intruders
The Intruders
by Michael Marshall

2.0 out of 5 stars Preposterous my son, 5 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Intruders (Hardcover)
This novel is well-written, very readable and with one superb plot thread but there is a growing realisation that all the promise is going to be wasted, that the storyline is heading for an absurd destination. And, my word, it gets there...with a full scale crash into the buffers. The 'end' is so disappointing that I'm minded to give it away in retaliation, but writing is a tough game and those who've had some success deserve respect.

We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)
by Lionel Shriver

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, 21 July 2006
I read it because it had great reviews. I found it unbelievably tedious and wished all the characters had been the victim of a mass murder about half way down page one.