Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos
Profile for Philip > Reviews

Content by Philip

Philip (Auckland, New Zealand)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 20 Aug. 2013
Thank you, I received them very quickly and the product is lovely. I will definitely order some more when these have finished. Thank you.

Michael Moore is a Big Fat Stupid White Man
Michael Moore is a Big Fat Stupid White Man
by David T. Hardy

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth a look, 4 Sept. 2008
If you're interested in Michael Moore films and are interested in getting a wider view of them then this book is worth a read. It looks at the work he's done and how he uses a lot of editing to try to fit with a certain point. There's a particularly interesting link whereas they link Moore to having Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Parts of this book are really good and attempt to make some sort of balance whereas for example it discusses how Moore has a point when he discusses fear culture while maintaining Moore does the same. My problems with it are that it goes to far at points and seems just like mud slinging back at Moore from the right following Moore doing the same thing from the left. It just seems like the authors are doing exactly the same as he does.

There's a part that quite struck me along these lines whereas they discuss how Moore portrayed the NRA as being linked to the Klu Klux Klan. They say Moore lied about the date (which he did) and in fact according to this book the NRA helped black people in this time and even promoted the writing of a book about it called 'Negroes with guns'. I found this quite a big deal but it seems like the writers are promoting the idea that the NRA is actually not racist. If you type 'NRA and racism' into google there are numerous hits some of which show a brochure given to members displaying various supposed people to protect themselves from not one of whom is white. Is it not fair to say that there are perhaps racist connotations underneath this which Moore does rightly pick up on despite his distorting? Like Moore however they just leave in what is necessary to give a certain impression. So in that sense it goes too far.

The authors of this book are clearly angered by Moore and fair enough. This book gives something to throw back at him and as I said it's worth reading. My main problem with the book though was how badly it was written. I mean first of all the title doesn't seem like it holds a very good mentality and again shows this mud slinging mentality back at Moore. Also parts of it just seem like they repeat themselves and just go on and on. It reads like... he did this... then he said this and he did this.. then he did this.. so basically he's an idiot. It just seems like it's rambling.

There are parts also where it just seems like they could've done better too. They link Moore to having Narcissistic personality disorder and write a full criteria linking him to it quite well (in my opinion as a Counsellor) but they say beforehand how they are not therapists and this is just what they think. Could they not have just got a few people to back up that diagnosis? Parts such as this just seem like they've been chucked together in a big rush as quickly as possible and like it hasn't been read through to check it's as good as it could be. Parts generally seem to lack research.

Again the one sidedness is apparent on the point of narcissism since it doesn't go into any discussion about why someone with narcissistic traits may come about in American culture. Could it be that a culture ran by someone who has right wing psychopathic traits could somehow promote this? There's no discussion of this. Therefore the one sided nature is apparent again.

It's worth a look but for more balance I would recommend the film 'Manufacturing Dissent' whereas although being a bit bland at points is credible and most of all balanced in looking at Moore in political context.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 9, 2013 10:03 PM BST

The Seat of the Soul
The Seat of the Soul
by Gary Zukav

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but specialised and where are the references?, 2 Mar. 2008
This review is from: The Seat of the Soul (Paperback)
I liked this book. I'm a counselling student and got it as it was recommended to me by my mentor for part of the course. It's good but I feel you need to have knowledge of that area first or else it won't be easily taken in. It was good for me and helped me put some things into better perspective which I'm studying thesedays.

One thing I really didn't like though was that it doesn't make any references to other work in the book. So it's just as if the author is writing all this from nothing in some ways. I feel it would actually add credibility if it was constantly referring to theories etc and other ideas to make it more grounded. That was something about it which bothered me.

Having said that if you know something about spirituality and soul and this progression to this higher stage then it's worth a read. Otherwise I would suggest other work, there are plenty out there which are easier to digest and more suitable to if you don't know anything about the area.

Against Therapy
Against Therapy
by Jerry Moussaieff Masson

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good and worth a read to give view of potential darker side, 6 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Against Therapy (Paperback)
I'm a trainnee counsellor and bought this book due to it being mentioned in my course regularly as being a famous critique of therapy. What I really liked about it was that it opened my eyes more in the sense of cases he cites of the mental health field being abusive to its' clients. It also provided some shocking evidence that Carl Jung couldve been a Nazi sympathiser, although other evidence does seem to make this more inconclusive. It also picks some interesting holes in theories and how they may not be useful or indeed very damaging. As the title suggests, the book is against therapy.

What I can't take on board though and what I know from reading around therapy that generally isn't taken on board from Massan's work is that the solution is to totally abolish therapy and make some warm friendship groups as a possible solution. This conclusion is quite insulting to people who have genuine issues which cannot be accommodated merely by talking to friends. Professionals are clearly needed and what myself and my colleagues call for is for the counselling field to be more regulated. It is at points but at other times isn't which could allow for potential abuse.

There are several counselling charities around, not to mention my current working for the NHS which are highly regulated and supervised to constantly do what is best for the client.(although Massan would argue we're not actually doing best for the client). Also some of his claims such as in UK on counselling course you don't have to have your own personal therapy simply are not true. Most courses actually require counsellors to have their own therapy for about 50 hours. Not only that but within the course there are groups which you are expected to make a good contribution to pass.

Also, what I feel is very important to say is whereas the abusive cases he sites are no doubt really important and make me say how it should be regulated. I would like to say that they are so so far removed from either my experience or anyone I've known. Most people I know who have had counselling (and I know a lot) see it as a very rewarding experience and not only that but very difficult to go through and commendable to go through and as result of which can have relationships and live a life which before wouldnt of been possible. Some people including myself see having counselling and the best thing theyve ever done for themselves.

Counselling charities which I worked for provides an invaluable service to people in need of someone to speak to. This has very professional training and supervised counselling. So I would say it is well worth a look but read a lot around it. It contains some useful interesting insights for sure and obviously the abuse is so important but as stated earlier very few people agree with what his conclusion is.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2011 5:29 PM GMT