Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now
Profile for Mrs. TK Ellis > Reviews

Content by Mrs. TK Ellis

Mrs. TK Ellis "Bookworm" (High Wycombe, Bucks)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Killers of the King: The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles I
Killers of the King: The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles I
by Earl Charles Spencer

5.0 out of 5 stars A rivetting tale, 5 Aug. 2016
I was a little apprehensive about this book. I started to read it and wasn't too sure that I liked Charles Spencer's writing style (a purely personal matter of taste). As I got into the book however, my apprehension quickly wore off and what was revealed was a well researched, fascinating and, I should imagine, a relatively little known piece of history. I confess I wasn't aware of the lengths King Charles II went to, to find the men he felt were responsible for the death of his father.

The story is set out well and an important part of my enjoyment of this book was the fact that the author did not appear to take sides. The story is related in a very even-handed way which allows the reader to gain the information without being subtly persuaded to one side or the other. I won't relate the details of the book here, but the one story that has stuck with me since reading this is the fighting spirit of Lt. Col. Harrison when on the scaffold. I won't say more, but you will understand when you come to that piece in the book.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would happily recommend it.

Tower
Tower
by Nigel H. Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but rather too sensational for my tastes, 5 Aug. 2016
This review is from: Tower (Paperback)
This book is an enjoyable read. It is quite well written and is generally easy to get into. It takes a look at the history of the Tower of London, including its use as a menagerie, Royal Mint, fortress and prison.

My problem with it is that the stories it relates to tend to be rather sensationalised and lacks balance. The characters in the book tended to be either good or bad, loved or loathed and this makes it difficult to take this book as seriously as the author would like you to.

Overall I would recommend reading it, but don't take everything you read in this book as complete fact

LADIES DESIGNER BLACK OILCLOTH POLKA DOTS TOTE SHOPPER SHOULDER DAY BAG
LADIES DESIGNER BLACK OILCLOTH POLKA DOTS TOTE SHOPPER SHOULDER DAY BAG
Offered by UK365Express

5.0 out of 5 stars A good little bag, 5 July 2015
This is a smashing bag, it holds a lot, the zips work well and it has enough pockets to be thoroughly useful. I really like it (and that is saying something as I am really fussy with handbags) and it does all that it says it will. I would certainly recommend it

Shakespeare: Richard II [David Tennant] [RSC] [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Shakespeare: Richard II [David Tennant] [RSC] [DVD] [2014] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ David Tennant

5.0 out of 5 stars David Tennant will take your breath away with his phenomenal performance, 5 July 2015
This production of Richard II is absolutely fabulous. David Tennant in the lead role is phenomenal. He brings to life a king who acts like a spoilt bully in the first half of the play, but manages to elicit your sympathy when he finally ends up in the dungeon at the end of it, betrayed and abandoned. Though it is not surprising he has come to this due to his treatment of people David Tennant manages to make you feel pity for him - and that is no mean feat!

The supporting case are also excellent and it is a thorough joy to watch this production. I shall certainly be keeping my eyes open for other productions like this.

New Oilcloth Polka dots Messenger Cross Body Satchel Shoulder Saddle Bag Large
New Oilcloth Polka dots Messenger Cross Body Satchel Shoulder Saddle Bag Large
Offered by Prelovedbugz

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful little purchase, 5 July 2015
This bag is not a bad fit. It is a little smaller than expected, but nothing much to worry about. It is really handy as not only does it have the flap across the top, but there is an internal zip. This is particularly helpful to keep things safe as I commute across London and need to keep an eye on my bag constantly.

It is lightweight and waterproof and holds a fair amount. It doesn't look too bad either so I would recommend this as a day bag.

Richard III [DVD] [1996]
Richard III [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Ian McKellen
Offered by claires_media_store

5.0 out of 5 stars Made glorious by this summer son of York, 5 July 2015
This review is from: Richard III [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
This was the first film in which I saw Sir Ian McKellen and I just fell in love with him - he is a brilliant actor and has created a wonderful retelling of Shakespeare's Richard III. The film is set in a totalitarian Britain, circa 1930's, and this gives the film a chilling feel to it. The actors are fantastic - all of whom perform beautifully. This is certainly true of Sir Ian and Dame Maggie Smith but credit should also go to Robert Downey Jr, as Earl Rivers, and Annette Benning as Queen Elizabeth, wife of King Edward and mother to the tragic princes in the tower.

The story is so well known I shall not précis it here, but would heartily recommend this film. Whether you are new to Richard III or a veteran like me I know you will think this is fabulous

Regeneration (Behind the Lines) [REGION 2 DVD - DUTCH IMPORT ]
Regeneration (Behind the Lines) [REGION 2 DVD - DUTCH IMPORT ]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Pryce
Offered by All Media International

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful story which will break your heart, 5 July 2015
This is one of the most amazing films I have ever had the privilege to watch. It tells the story of the meeting between the great First World War poets Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen at a rehabilitation centre in Scotland. Owens is there because he is suffering with shell shock and Sassoon because of an article he wrote in 1917 condemning the leaders of all sides for stretching out the conflict. Both of them are patients of Dr Rivers, a doctor at the facility. The setting and background information is all factually correct, but the meeting of the two poets has been fictionalised and is the imaginings of the author, Pat Barker.

There is a raft of talent on display in this film, James Wilby as Sassoon; Stewart Bunce as Owens, but by far the most engaging character and actor is Jonathan Pryce as Dr Rivers. This film will break your heart because of the subject matter, but also because of the magnificent performances given. Pryce in particular shows well how the affect of seeing so many broken young men affects his own health and how his compassion towards them is like a shaft of light in the darkness of the war.

I would heartily recommend this film (shown on UK TV as "Regeneration") but suggest you have some tissues with you at the end

The King's Curse (COUSINS' WAR)
The King's Curse (COUSINS' WAR)
by Philippa Gregory

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstandingly brilliant, 5 July 2015
This is the first Philippa Gregory book I have read and I am now a huge fan. The author is absolutely brilliant! She has managed to weave a wonderfully told tale around known people, times and places and educates and entertains well in equal measure. Philippa Gregory is obviously passionate and well educated in history and has the ability to write an engaging story, but it is a very rare author who is able to bring these two wonderful skills together and create such a wonderful book. It had me gripped from the first page until the last and is one of those wonderful books where you can't wait to sit down and read it.

I shan't précis the book here as I cannot write half as well as Ms Gregory and that would spoil the book for others, but I would urge everyone to read this - it is sheer brilliance. I am now off to find another of her books and get my teeth into that.

The Rasmus
The Rasmus
Offered by mrtopseller

5.0 out of 5 stars Another album which is well worth listening to!, 30 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Rasmus (Audio CD)
Another brilliant album, though more pop-like than previous albums. More slow songs on this one, which is a lovely change. This group are absolutely brilliant and though their music seems to change genre depending on the album I am always confident that if I buy one of their albums, even though I have not heard it, I know I will like the songs they have on the album. I think that is a sign of the brilliance of this group

Black Roses [Australian Import]
Black Roses [Australian Import]

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant album, 30 Nov. 2014
This is a fantastic album from a very talented group. The recordings on this album are more heavy rock than their previous albums, but they pull this off beautifully. I love all the songs but my particular favourites are "Livin' in a world without you" and "Ghost of Love". I would highly recommend this group to anyone as I think they rock!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9