Profile for Mackenzie > Reviews

Mackenzie

My Naughty Little Sister Collection
My Naughty Little Sister Collection
by Dorothy Edwards

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for children beginning to read independently, 24 Feb. 2014
My daughter has been struggling with progressing her reading from a basic sight-word level to more complex stories, mainly because she found the books that are meant to bridge the gap too boring. I was beginning to get concerned that she would lose interest in reading and it would have a long-term impact on her interest in books.
I remembered these stories from when I was at primary school more than thirty years ago and bought this collection version of the books to see if it would interest her.
It has proved to be an excellent purchase. She was slightly intimidated by the thickness of the book, but I showed her most of the stories are no more than 10-12 pages. There are a few adorable illustrations, but not so many that my daughter could use them to guess what the words would be as she does with many books - here she actually had to concentrate on the sentences. There is plenty of repetition to help new words sink in, without it feeling like an educational tool.
I am blown away by how much more fluidly she reads these stories - because they hold her interest and make us both laugh. They are a little old-fashioned, but not in a bad way, I actually like them all the more for that.
I think they are an ideal bridge from early reader picture books to more complex, mainly text-based books. The text is in a slightly larger size and the lines are double spaced to allow young readers to more easily keep their place when scanning from one line to the next.