Profile for Scott A. Mckenzie > Reviews

Content by Scott A. Mckenzie

Scott A. Mckenzie (Selkirk)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Panasonic ALL8 Wireless Speaker System (Black)
Offered by PRICE PROMISE EXPEDITED DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS FREE WITHIN THE UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality WiFi Speaker, 29 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this speaker for my Father. I myself have heavily invested in the Sonos ecosystem. Which is regarded as the best WiFi music system on the market and I would have to agree.
However if you do not want to go down the Sonos route then this Panasonic speaker is an excellent choice with some caveats.
Included in the box is the speaker, a power cord and a quick set up guide to installing the speaker and that's it.
The speaker itself feels very weighty and well constructed. It has a metal grille and a hard dimpled plastic surround. It does feel a little plasticy but solid all the same.
The instructions are very basic but did guide you through the basics of getting up and running.
Basically plug the speaker into the socket, switch on and wait for the flashing blue/red light to turn a constant blue.
Then go to your android / ios device and go to wifi settings. Once there you will see the allplay speaker listed. Click on it. Then you will be asked to give your speaker a name. Such as kitchen, lounge, bedroom etc.
The next process is to download the Panasonic Wireless Speaker App from the Play/ App Store.
Once installed all being well you should the speaker listed and you are good to go.
You just need to tell the app where to search for your music, which will be the music you have stored on your phone or tablet.
The sound is extremely good for a speaker of its size and is very comparable to the Sonos Play 5 in sound quality.
With crystal clear sound and a resonating bass.
You can also add other music sources apart from the music stored on your phone but at the moment they would only appear to be Spotify and Allplay Radio.
Whereas Sonos has an abundant amount.
The other issue with the apps is that when you open them you have to first download the relevant app be it spotify or allplay radio and instead of operating the music from within the panasonic app you have to do it through the 3rd party apps. Which makes it a bit cumbersome and not so user friendly.
That is where the All8 speaker is a let down. The build quality and sound of the hardware is top notch and up there with the very best but unfortunately the software to operate it is not very intuitive and quite clumsy. Especially if you compare it to the Sonos operating system which is a dream to use and is constantly being updated.
I have had to do an update with the Panasonic but did not seem to change the overall experience and the updating procedure was also very clumsy just like the software. Press update on app, wait until blinking orange light stops then take out power lead and wait 3 mins before replacing and switching on. Really Panasonic what were you thinking ???
I have given my review 4 stars which is a fair assessment I think.
On hardware alone it would be a 5 star product but it is held back by the awful software which I would only give 2 stars because at least it works.
If Panasonic can work on the software side of things then this will be a winner but until then buy with caution.

Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men's Razor with Flexball Technology
Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power Men's Razor with Flexball Technology
Offered by UK Pharmacy Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good Razor, 28 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The new Gillette Fusion ProGlide Power is a very good razor. I've upgraded from the old Gillette Fusion Power razor without the flexball. It feels a bit more weighty in the hand and I like the new razor heads that now have a microcomb fitted that is supposed to guide your hair through the blades.
If I'm being an honest I haven't noticed a great difference between the two razors they both equally give a great close shave.
Gillette are promoting the flexball as the new great innovation in wet shaving but like I said I can't say it gave me a closer shave than the previous one. But saying that it does give you a great shave without any irritation.
The blades are expensive but depending on how often you shave you can get up to 3 weeks use on each.
A very good razor but I don't think it is as amazing as Gillette would like you to believe.

VAX W85-PP-T Dual Power Pro, 1200 W
VAX W85-PP-T Dual Power Pro, 1200 W

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Domestic Carpet Cleaner, 18 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The box itself is quite heavy so be prepared on arrival.

The machine comes in parts but it is fairly straight forward to assemble with clear instructions.
Included with the machine you get a hose, accessory bag, wash tool, hard floor tool, scrub tool and two bottles of Vax cleaning solution.

This Upright Vax machine replaces an older Cylinder style carpet cleaner also made by Vax.
It is better in almost every way. It is easier to maneuver, cleans better, easier to operate and leaves the carpets drier.

The only down side is that the machine is a little bit on the heavy side, I personally did not find this an issue although some others may do.
So it is worth pointing out.

I have carpets and hard floors through out the house and it managed clean both impeccably.
It does use quite a bit of cleaning solution but the results are there for all to see and its not as if you clean your carpets every week.

I also used the attachments for cleaning my sofa and it was equally as successful.

This really is a great cleaner that really gets the ingrained dirt out of your carpets and brings them back to life
No more having to pay for expensive rental carpet cleaners or for getting in tradesman to the job.
With a little of bit of elbow grease and this machine you will end up with clean fresh floors throughout your house!

Linksys RE3000W Universal N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender (Ethernet, Flexible Placement, Easy Set Up, WPS)

4.0 out of 5 stars Colours in the black spots!, 4 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't sure if these wifi range extenders were any good. I had read mixed reviews of them. Some singing their praises and others saying that the had made no difference.
It has worked a treat for me. My wifi signal up the stairs was a bit patchy at times and the kids sometimed struggled to stream films using their Roku player.
But after installing this extender it has improved dramatically. Now there is no buffering and my kids are happy. Which means Dad is happy. Recommended.

Philips InfraCare HP3643 650 W Infrared Lamp Half Body Treatment
Philips InfraCare HP3643 650 W Infrared Lamp Half Body Treatment

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for temporary relief, 3 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a quality heat lamp - very sturdy, a bit large but easy to maneuver. I like the timer which ensures that you only have exposure for 15mins. The heat is well directed and intense but bearable - at the time of the exposure it feels soothing, but I'm not sure how long the benefit lasted. Although there hasn't been any long-term improvement to my shoulder condition, this lamp has provided a strategy for temporary relief to help manage the pain. It's an expensive item and maybe in time one would get permanent relief, but my experience so far couldn't confirm this.

Walking Home: A Pilgrimage from Humbled to Healed
Walking Home: A Pilgrimage from Humbled to Healed
by Sonia Choquette

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, some lovely writing and an enjoyable read., 3 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely book - very honest and humble. Starting with a description of the author and what brought her to walk the Camino Way, I was a little apprehensive about how the book would develop. There appeared to be a sense of self-indulgence about the initial chapters, however as the journey developed it was clear that this was necessary to set the scene and establish Sonia's personality.
The journey itself was really enjoyable to read about. The experiences and teachings along the way were very touching and inspiring, and this was enhanced by the wonderful descriptions of the countryside, towns and people along the way. There was less about the physical aspects of the journey, which I would have enjoyed reading about. Instead there were some aches and moans that represented someone ill-prepared rather than real challenges.

Philips Sonicare HX9331/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White
Philips Sonicare HX9331/04 DiamondClean Rechargeable Toothbrush White

5.0 out of 5 stars When opening the packaging it feels anything like premium with the same recycled cardboard holding the toothbrush, 7 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
On first impressions you wouldn't know that you had just received a £250 toothbrush. The box looks the same as any other Philips Sonicare toothbrush. When opening the packaging it feels anything like premium with the same recycled cardboard holding the toothbrush. But when you get the contents in your hand then you realise the difference.
The toothbrush feels beautiful in the hand with its ceramic finish the way the various brushing programs light up through the handle is very chic.
The included accessories are lovely too. They comprise of a glass and a chrome charging base and a travel case.
The latter has a charging socket that also comes with a mini USB cable which is very handy for ease of charging when travelling. Many phones and tablets use the same cable (well those that are not of the Apple persuasion anyway) which means you could charge your toothbrush after you had finished charging your phone. Although having said that Philips claim that the toothbrush should last up to 3 Weeks on a full charge and i can verify that claim. As I have had the brush for about that time and have only charged it the once when I received it.
For home charging you can charge it by simply placing the brush in the glass as long as it's placed on the charging base anyway. The glass can obviously also be used to rinse with.
In operation the toothbrush is superb, it leaves my mouth feeling fresh and clean and my gums seem healthier for it too.
Although I must admit I have used cheaper sonicare brushes in the range and they had the same effect. So I'm not sure if spending this amount will bring you better brushing results. However if you are feeling indulgent then this product is a great addition to your bathroom.

Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Lemon Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

5.0 out of 5 stars These Finish dishwasher tablets are excellent. I have tried many brands but always come ..., 7 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These Finish dishwasher tablets are excellent. I have tried many brands but always come back to Finish. I guess it's no surprise that many dishwasher manufacturers recommend the brand. They always leave my plates and dishes sparkling clean which can't be said about the cheaper equivalents out there.
Not only do they clean the contents but they leave the dishwasher clean and smelling fresh too.

Karcher WV2 Premium 2nd Generation Window Vacuum Cleaner
Karcher WV2 Premium 2nd Generation Window Vacuum Cleaner

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Timesaving Saving Gadget Ever!, 23 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Karcher window vac is probably the best household timesaving gadget I have used.
I used to detest cleaning windows, although it can still be a chore it has halved the amount of time I spend doing it.
I owned the previous basic model which didn't come with any of the accessories.
I wanted a smaller head attachment so ordered this kit.
There are some noticeable differences in the machines. It is lighter in the hand and is slightly smaller in size which makes it easier to use. The design in how you open the chamber to pour away the waste has improved and it now flashes green instead of red when charging. Obviously no biggy but just an observation.
In operation there is no discernible differences. Although this time I have the spray bottle and cloth attachment to clean the window prior to vacuuming. To be honest I used to use a spray bottle of window cleaner filled half and half with cleaner and water. Spray window then agitate it with a non stick pan scrubber and got the same results. So much so that I will probably continue to do that.
You also still need to have some kitchen roll handy to wipe round the edge of the window that the Karcher still leaves behind.
It's for that reason it loses a star. It's still not perfect and you can sometimes notice some marks left by the squeegee a few days after you have cleaned. But it is 100 times better than using a spray cleaner and elbow grease. No more smearing and a lot less effort. It is so simple to do. You can clean a window in a fraction of the time.
The smaller head is great too. It means I can now clean my internal oak doors that have glass panel inserts.
The Karcher is not just for windows too, I use it on mirrors, shower cabinets, tiles and my fridge freezer.
Such a simple idea but a very effective one. Every home should have one.

BLACK+DECKER 32.4V 2-in-1 Stick Vac with ORA technology, White
BLACK+DECKER 32.4V 2-in-1 Stick Vac with ORA technology, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cordless Vac So Far!, 17 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I am very impressed with my Black & Decker cordless vac. As the title states it is the best one that I have used and I've had a few.
This machine is the first one that may replace my conventional vacuum once and for all.
It is very well built and has a space age look. It's slightly on the heavy side compared to others I've had but not overly and is certainly lighter and easier to manouver than any mains operetated upright vacuums.
It is as powerful as many of those vacuums too and is as good on hard floors as it is on carpets.
The machine has a roller bar that can be independently switched via a button below the power button. It is also a 2 in 1 machine. By pressing the button half way up the stick it releases a hand held vacuum for use with apholstry, stairs, car etc. The hand vacuum has an extendable hose for those hard to reach areas and comes with 3 attachments, a pet tool, crevice tool and apholstry brush.
When not in use it comes with a charging station to place it on. At first I struggled to place it on easily but have found it easier the more I do it and I now use the handle of the hand vac when placing it as opposed to the upright handle.
I leave it on the base constantly so that it is always ready to go when I need it. I live in a fairly large 3 bedroom house and it is more than capable of having enough power to clean it extensively with juice to spare.
The chamber where the dust and debris is stored is on the small size. So you do have to empty it after every use. Also some fluff does have a habit of sticking to the filter inside and does not what to come out without a hand. But these are minor grievances.
Another couple of points on use that I must mention is firstly the machine goes fairly flat for going under tables and chairs and is helped by having a plastic base under the head which gives it some stability. The second feature I like is that when you need to stop during mid vacuum that you are able to stand the vacuum upright. I was unable to do this with my last one and had to rest it on a wall but 9 times out of 10 it would fall.
I have been using this machine for about 4 weeks now and have not touched my Henry vacuum during that time.
The freedom this machine gives you is great without any compromise!
Highly recommended.