Profile for Downtempo_Doyen > Reviews

Downtempo_Doyen

The North Borders
The North Borders

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 12 April 2013
This review is from: The North Borders (Audio CD)
I've been listening to Bonobo for several years now and am definitely a big fan. Days to Come and Black Sands were monumental albums (I love every track on each of them) and I was really hoping for a continuation of the amazing downtempo vibe that Bonobo and Quantic practically invented.

While this album does contain elements of that (particularly the sublime Antenna) it's clear that Simon Green is subtley trying to seque a little into the more mainstream arena. While this is probably a good move for him commercially I hope he stays true to his roots and sticks to the downtempo sounds that have made his name up to now.

I also have to say that this is the first Bonobo album which contains tracks that I actively dislike. The mix for the track with Erykah Badu just doesn't sound right to me, it's almost as if the vocals have been tacked onto an instrumental track so they could have a big name appear on the album. It does eventually settle down half way through but it's a surprising misstep for an artist that normally mixes his tracks perfectly.

Perhaps I need to listen to it more (I was also initially slightly disappointed with Black Sands - before loving it) but the album doesn't really feel like it flows to me yet. More a collection of disparate ideas rather than a fully formed album.

There is certainly enough here to make this worth a purchase but I'd have to say this is not the masterpiece that his last two albums were. I hope that time (and lots more playthroughs) changes my mind.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2013 12:28 PM BST