Profile for imladris_books > Reviews

Content by imladris_books

imladris_books

Page: 1 | 2
The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope, Book 1)
The Alchemist's Secret (Ben Hope, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping - hard to put down!, 10 Nov. 2011
I picked this Kindle book up for only 49p on a promotion - what a brilliant investment this was!

I found it really hard to put this book down - the story was gripping with numerous twists and intrigues. I now feel inspired to visit the Cathar region of southern France!

The Complete Blood, Sweat and Tea
The Complete Blood, Sweat and Tea

3.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought ... but tough going, 10 Nov. 2011
As an NHS employee I thought it would be informative to read "Sirens" so that I could find out a bit more about life on the clinical "front line".

On the third attempt I finally got to the end of the book after giving up to have a bit of light relief a couple of times. If this is a representative account of life on the NHS front line in East London then I am grateful that I live in Devon!

A book half the length with half as many descriptions of being called out to "suspended" drunks would have been more bearable.

I'm sorry that I didn't enjoy this book more but it simply made me wonder whether the great British public as described in "Sirens" are worthy recipients of the services offered by the NHS.

World War Z
World War Z

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and compulsive - even for a non Zombie fan, 16 Oct. 2011
This review is from: World War Z (Kindle Edition)
I must start off by saying that I don't think I'm a member of the "typical" target audience for this book.

I don't watch a lot of horror movies and don't play "Doom" or any of it's derivatives.

But after reading the free sample and not being able to put it down I was hooked and had to buy the entire book. The remainder of the book was also difficult to put down - there are a number of intriguing ideas explored in the book, such as how the contagion was spread through the global networks of trade, travel and migration. Also the use of fortified structures and locations above the snow-line.

So, why only 4 stars? There is a consistent use of swearing through the book and the book was rather America-centric.

Catch Your Death
Catch Your Death

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced "race against time" thriller set in England, 24 July 2011
This review is from: Catch Your Death (Kindle Edition)
An entertaining read at a realistic price!

The story has numerous twists and turns although one or two of them feel rather contrived, particularly the one at the climax of the scene at Gaunt's hideout.

The characters have a certain amount of depth in places but feel paper thin in others. And the locations are not developed in depth.

The principle behind the story is engaging though and I found it was an easy read to bash through.

Would I pay more than 95p for it? Yes! Maybe up to £2 ...

Where the Shadows Lie (FIRE & ICE Series Book 1)
Where the Shadows Lie (FIRE & ICE Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Iceland - a recipe for mixing modern police corruption, Icelandic sagas and Tolkien's Middle-Earth, 22 Jun. 2011
Having visited Iceland on a short visit and being thoroughly fascinated by what we saw there buying this book was a "no brainer" - especially as it was on a promotional price of 98p at the time!

And I wasn't disappointed either!

Michael Ridpath weaves together an interesting mix of ancient Icelandic saga and Tolkien's fantasy world of Middle-Earth with a modern day Boston (US) cop who is sent to Iceland for his own protection after uncovering police corruption.

I could relate to many of the places that Ridpath mentions, even after only a short visit to Iceland.

The story contains enough twists and turns to keep your interest although I did get an inkling where it was going about three quarters of the way through.

I'd score this at 4.5 if I could - the other half point being knocked off because of seeing how the ending might work out. It also helps to have read Lord of the Rings although Ridpath does give a "potted version" for those that aren't LoTR fans.

Silver (Ogmios Novels Book 1)
Silver (Ogmios Novels Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative take on the descendants of Judas Iscariot, 10 Jun. 2011
The author has woven an intriguing story out of the Biblical story of the betrayal of Jesus by Judas Iscariot. In doing this he has used similar techniques to Dan Brown et al to create his tale from historic events such as the siege of Masada. In this he demonstrates considerable research and imagination.

He also creates numerous diverse characters and settings ranging from Newcastle to Rome.

Somehow though the story lacked "connectedness" for me. The scenes cut backwards and forwards between locations very much like a motion picture - in fact the I could see this book working better as a film than it does as a book.

Having said that it is a good value read which would keep you amused on a flight or on the beach.

Fall of Giants - OLD EDITION (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
Fall of Giants - OLD EDITION (The Century Trilogy Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you liked "Downton Abbey" you'll like this, 26 May 2011
I enjoyed "Fall of Giants" - the locations range from deepest darkest Wales to Petrograd and Buffalo with the links between the locations being the characters who migrate between them to avoid (or take advantage) of the political and economic circumstances they find themselves in.

The characters themselves are well developed and themselves develop as the story progresses. Take Billy Williams, apprentice miner, soldier, prisoner and finally ... well, you'll have to read it to find out!

It's a 4-star review for me though for 2 reasons : firstly the name of the house in Wales where Earl Fitzherbert lived (Ty - with a circumflex) was consistently rendered in a font size about 5 times larger than anything else on my Kindle.

And secondly, the Kindle version is almost twice the price of the new paperback version. Kindle shoppers beware!

Those In Peril (The Hector Cross Novels)
Those In Peril (The Hector Cross Novels)

3.0 out of 5 stars An easy read that was hard to put down, 28 April 2011
An enjoyable romp which makes for an easy read.

There are some quite graphic descriptions for the squeamish to beware of and some twists and turns which I didn't expect. The pace slowed noticeably through the middle of the book but picked up again to make an exciting ending. The plot would easily turn into an action packed film.

All in all I found it difficult to put this book down but it's not what you could call a great read.

Song of Heaven: Chung Kuo Book 1
Song of Heaven: Chung Kuo Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars A gripping post-Apocalyptic yarn - rather like Survivors, 12 April 2011
Judging from the other reviews I'm slightly unusual in that I have never read the Chung Kuo sequels.

This may mean that my review is not influenced by what came before!

I found the story telling gripping from beginning to end and especially liked the post-Apocalyptic feel to the start of the book. The range of characters is quite breathtaking and I really identified with the West Country setting to the story.

As an added bonus I picked my Kindle edition up for the bargain price of only £1 - hooray!

The only reason I've not given this book a 5-star rating is because of the widespread and consistent use of swearing throughout.

The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday Series Book 1)
The Wolves of Savernake (Domesday Series Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Step back to Wiltshire at the time of the Norman Conquest, 26 Mar. 2011
I had previously read a couple of Edward Marston's "Railway Detective" stories and so was enthusiastic to try something from a different historic era.

The Wolves of Savernake didn't disappoint - the characters were well developed - intellectual Gervase and flawed Ralph and the premise of the story was well thought out. The commissioners travel from county to county resolving disputes (and crimes) in the wake of the creation of the Domesday book. The descriptive passages were very believeable especially as I know Salisbury plain and the Savernake area.

The details of the plot were well planned and it was not until a few pages before the end that I began to get a glimpse of who the murderer was.

I feel sure that I will return to read more titles from this series.

Why only 4 stars you might ask? Well, there are some unfortunate typos in the Kindle version so I've down-graded whatt would otherwise be a 5 star rating!

Page: 1 | 2