Profile for sistermoon > Reviews

Content by sistermoon

sistermoon "Barbara E. Kirk" (Wakefield, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Spectral Mornings 2015
Spectral Mornings 2015

5.0 out of 5 stars Extension of a beloved instrumental., 23 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Spectral Mornings 2015 (Audio CD)
A decent charity release for to raise money for people suffering from Parkinson's disease. I had a fear beforehand that a vocal version of Steve Hackett's classic instrumental 'Spectral Mornings' might not work, but it has worked. Progzilla Radio broadcast a medley of the different mixes which was very good and inspired me to buy this.

Northlands
Northlands

4.0 out of 5 stars You can never go back again..., 23 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Northlands (Audio CD)
The story of a man who comes back to where he was born and sees how his hometown has changed. I was terrified of this being something along the lines of Jimmy Nail's Big River as well as the Sting musical that failed. But thankfully it's on a less bombastic scale.

Wassail -Ep-
Wassail -Ep-

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 23 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Wassail -Ep- (Audio CD)
The disc came okay, thank goodness! Compensation for me missing BBT in London when they performed.

Cocoon
Cocoon

5.0 out of 5 stars 'How can you miss what you never had?', 6 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Cocoon (Audio CD)
I heard of this via a fan on Youtube and was very impressed by 'A Visit To Chigwick'. The rest of the album lives up to this track and I see Peter Jones is as much a fan of Steve Hackett and late 60s/early 70s children's programmes as I am. 'The Witches' is preceded by an Oliver Postgate-like narration straight out of Noggin The Nog! 'The Merry Vicar' could be from the same parish as the Reverend in Battle Of Epping Forest, as well as David Walliams' dodgy vicar in The Look Of Love! I will have to look up Peter Jones' previous experience on the X Factor as part of 2 To Go, although this is probably a world away from this.

Saxondale - Complete Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Saxondale - Complete Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Steve Coogan

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Then we called in those men...', 13 Jun. 2014
Where the hell were any clips from this on the BBC-2 50 Years of Comedy programme? Tommy Saxondale's adventures deserved to be seen again. Ben Miller (so fantastic as Rebenor in Dr. Terrible's House of Horrible) directed the pilot episode on series 1. Tommy, as with Paul Calf, wanted to remain a rebel even though the chaos of regular living got in the way. Ruth Jones as Magz, proprietor of the Smash The System posters shop, was a calming influence and Raymond, Tommy's assistant (Rasmus Hardiker) became almost a surrogate son to them.

I hadn't known before that Tim Key was in it as the rep for the bank whose squirrel mascot gets clobbered - I only knew of him from Charlie Brooker's Newswipe. A lot of what I'll call the Baby Cow reparatory company are in it - Simon Greenall portrays an ex-roadie who's become a businessman and he's so different from Michael in I'm Alan Partridge. Morwenna Banks as the receptionist is almost a younger sister of Alison Steadman's Pam in Gavin & Stacey, flirting with and criticizing Tommy. James Bachman as the facilitator of Tommy's anger management classes has the patience of a saint - and who would have thought Matt Berry (also composer of the original incidental music) would have been a fellow client after we'd seen him as the bluff Douglas Reynholm in the IT Crowd?

I'm having trouble finding the 'On The Road' bonus on disc one. The slight changes to the incidental music (contractual reasons?) don't jar as much as the absence of Steely Dan's Reelin' In The Years from Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive does. I feel at home with the use of Focus's 'House Of The King' (the old Don't Ask Me theme)on the opening titles and 'Hocus Pocus' on the end titles. Though Tommy is gobsmacked that the late husband of Lisa Tarbuck's character had Genesis's 'Trespass', we get a tinny approximation of 'Invisible Touch' later on in that episode where we would have got the original. And does anyone else cringe when Tommy misidentifies the lyrics from Rush's The Spirit Of Radio as being from their Hemispheres album and not from Permanent Waves (yes, I'm a fellow resident of Pedantry)! Tommy's wig is a lot different on disc one - this sold iron grey fringe, whereas in series two I can see that Coogan's own wavy hair had blonde and grey streaks...and was this hairstyle the inspiration for Don's similar hairstyle in series two of Nighty Night?

On series 2, Tommy is having trouble dealing with his next door neighbour (Darren Boyd). The neighbour seems very clingy and Tommy seems to want to get away from him. The lengthy rumination on Genesis's Seconds Out was so true for people of my age! Rosie Caviliero as the new age woman seems to have a hold on Magz here. But she wriggles out of it after being paired with another man (Tommy makes her leave due to being drunk as a skunk with friends), saying she wanted to listen to Rush's Caress Of Steel again! I also liked Mark Williams as another ex-roadie, who refused to grow old gracefully and had to have a leg amputated (shades of John Martyn - co-star on Fonte Bund and Barne Willers' tour doc on the Human Remains DVD). It is such a pity that Williams is currently hosting a daytime quiz show on the Beeb when he's so talented.

The final episode of series two makes me sad. Just as Tommy gets back with Magz, we hear Raymond say 'It's cancer' when the surgery rings. I wanted so much to know if he would pull through and that the doctors would find the problems in time. And Keanu, the gay rent boy (also portrayed by Steve Coogan)...is he Tommy's son from his first marriage? We never see the first Mrs. Saxondale and I so wanted the loose ends to be tied up.

I also liked the reference to the children's song 'Heads and Shoulders, Knees and Toes' as the anger management class after Tommy had had a gutful of one sob story from another client....he would have been brilliant as a judge on Britain's Got Talent!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 13, 2014 8:43 PM BST

Noble England
Noble England

4.0 out of 5 stars Sympathy vote, I know..., 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Noble England (MP3 Download)
Yes, I was swayed by the messages over Rik's death! I felt more about this than the official World Cup song since I saw the promo on YouTube. Rik's take on the Henry V 'Once more unto the breach' speech seemed a lot more convincing than the Larry Olivier version from the film (where I thought Olivier was going to sing Erasure's 'Stop' given his resemblance to Andy Bell!).

Now bring on a repeat of all the Grim Tales episodes and Filthy Rich & Catflap!

Female Badger (feat. Rob Brydon)
Female Badger (feat. Rob Brydon)

5.0 out of 5 stars Still in the area of weirdness, 5 Jun. 2014
I was looking forward to Rob's appearance in This Is Jinsy and he's still in the area of troubled relationships with this song. The character of Rex Camalbeater is a West Countryesque Springsteen figure, although I wouldn't see Broooooce himself disguising himself as a furry creature to help with his marriage!

The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004]
The Keith Barret Show - Series 1 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Rob Brydon
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Hindsight is a wonderful thing, 26 Jan. 2014
I wish I could have had the second series along with this as I have a need to see the bit where Keith interviews Jack and Jill (a genuine couple)! I was especially touched by him interviewing Ronnie and Anne Corbett, because the comedian's failure to pluck up courage to say 'I love you' to her and saying 'Ambrosia Creamed Rice! ' instead was so like stories I've read of the early Genesis being unable to say those three little words in song. And Tony Banks always got on well with Scottish performers too (see Fish).

In hindsight I see networking opportunities - the fanboy Rob reveals himself when speaking to Corbett, the interview with Anthony H. Wilson and his wife leading to his involvement in 'A Cock & Bull Story' as well as Steve and Rob being in '24 Hour Party People'. I also see jinxes - Darren Day seems more comfortable with Keith singing 'The Young Ones' than with Suzanne Shaw. Kerry Katona and Bryan McFadden are a forgone conclusion. I was also so sorry for Keith at the speed-dating report; flashing his photos of his sons in the hope of getting a potential partner. The hen night showed him to be drowning in a sea of estrogen, and I was longing for Steve to show up, like the shopkeeper in Mr. Benn, and guide him to safety! The tea dance also made me feel sad, and I imagined him dancing with a potential partner somewhere that wasn't so crowded.

The Paul McKenna scene made me wonder if Rob had been to a hypnotist in real life - there is an allusion to this in Marion & Geoff. Keith's constant 'help me!' glances to camera showed me that Rob's confidence on screen hadn't grown at the time, and he is happy to let Richard Madeley natter on in the Richard & Judy episode, having no courage to say 'Sorry, but we've run out of time. Thank you to Richard and Judy, and goodnight!'

There have been no repeats of the series on GOLD as far as I know, which is why I asked for this as a Christmas present. There are no deleted scenes or bloopers.

Make Some Noise
Make Some Noise

5.0 out of 5 stars One for the completists and it's a good thing!, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Make Some Noise (Audio CD)
I got this as I already have EE1 and EE2. The title song is Big Big Train's stab at a hit single, but it's so much better than much chart music. It seems to have everything - Tull-ish bits, Genesis bits.

As with Far Skies Deep Time, it is there to hook a new listener into the rest of the catalogue; Uncle Jack was always big with this listener and it brings forth thoughts of days full of sunshine and gardens and butterflies. Curator of Butterflies does this too!

Sour Milk Sea (2010 - Remaster)
Sour Milk Sea (2010 - Remaster)

5.0 out of 5 stars Better late than never, 12 Jan. 2014
When the 'Come & Get It' compilation came out, Jackie Lomax's Sour Milk Sea got a lot of airplay on the Radio Leeds programme 'Sixties Souvenir' (now defunct), as did Badfinger's Rock Of All Ages. I guess this is where the young Freddie Bulsara got the name of a pre-Queen band from.

Musically, it's a brother to Savoy Truffle from the White Album, also a George Harrison composition. Ringo's drumming is brilliant and the Sour Milk Sea of the title could be any bad situation the listener finds themselves in and needs to get out of.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4