Profile for C. Frankling > Reviews

C. Frankling

Backspace Unwind
Backspace Unwind

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Backspace Unwind (Audio CD)
Granted I got this from HMV as it was cheaper (shocking I know) but it certainly deserves a review.

I hadn't actually got round to buying Lamb's last album, although that's currently winging its way to me (via the official Lamb website, again cheaper than Amazon), but after having seen them in October 2014 on the UK tour I was inspired to make the effort to go buy the album.

In some senses it's no different than what you would expect with Lamb, a mix of electro with soaring strings, stunning vocals and the occasional beats that just seem to be a little bit 'off', not that that is a bad thing. From when the album opens with Binary you know that you're going to need to either lock yourself in a room with some decent speakers or a decent set of headphones. The bass lines are awesome, although Seven Sails needs to be felt live to experience it (literally, so much bass it felt like your heart may stop).

Despite the album following the traditional Lamb route, there is a real separation between the songs and the choice of track progression causes a bit of a jump at times from emotionally to physically moving. I won't bother saying which tracks are my favourite, as we're all different, suffice to say that As Satellites Go By is, as has already been said, the Gabriel of this album.

The Week Magazine UK
The Week Magazine UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Covers all bases, 8 Sept. 2012
So far I've only taken up the trial subscription, having previously gotten used to reading the paper version of the magazine.

This version always allows you to access the contents with a click of the centre button, allowing you to skip entire sections that don't interest you - sport anyone? - and doesn't really lose any of the content of the paper version of the magazine.

If any negatives exist, it'd merely be that after lusting after the properties in colour, they don't quite have the same punch in black and white. Otherwise, a faultless replication of the 'roll up and swat flies' version.

Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Digital Lens For Canon Mount
Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Digital Lens For Canon Mount

5.0 out of 5 stars Has changed my perspective, 12 Aug. 2010
This was the first proper lens I bought; sure I'd got myself an additional zoom lens (the Canon 55-250IS) to compliment the kit lens, but I class this as the first 'real' lens I got.

From the beginning, when you first hold the thing in your hand compared to plasticky lenses, it is at fist as though you hold a lump of granite. With this lens I never fear it being stolen - you could beat a mugger away with it, and then use it to take their picture. In short, from my experience of it the build quality is superb; something important when you're paying out a fair wedge for a lump of glass and metal.

From a shot quality point of view, I've managed to get some superb night time shots in London with this thing on a tripod, stopped down providing incredible depth to the image and sharp throughout. In the day time, the lens almost gives a 3D feel to the end result when stopped down - or at least a greater perception of depth than I've achieved with my other lenses.

Part of the reason that most people will look to this is the extremely open aperture. Yes the sharpness drops a lot as you open wider, but equally the depth of field starts to become so shallow that it may at times be a case as to what your subject is on top of the degradation in quality. At 1.4 everything's so shallow that even a portrait focused on the eyes causes the ears to become blurred - and it gives such an expanded range of lighting conditions you can shoot in that the slight softness and lack of depth are entirely forgiveable, as otherwise you'd never have gotten a shot, let alone a decent enough one.

The thing has essentially lived on my camera since I got it. Anyone concerned about fixed focal lengths if they're moving up from zooms should try to ignore that little nag. I was concerned at first, wondering whether the length was too wide for real life uses, but effectively the end result is that the focal length on a cropped lens virtually replicates the angle of view that the eye sees.

I cannot rave about this lens enough, and the inclusion of a lens hood helps to sweeten the deal.

Hoya 62mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter
Hoya 62mm Pro-1 Digital Circular Polarizing Filter

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, 30 July 2010
Is as it says on the tin - no noticeable degradation in image quality on my Sigma 30mm 1.4 - excellent lens btw - and really boosts the skies and contrast on stupidly sunny days.

Which is arguably pointless in the UK, but still an invaluable tool in my camera bag.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damn special, 26 Jun. 2010
I'm not a massive reader of fiction - the last few books I read where Richard Dawkins ones - but I missed the chance to see The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo at the cinema, so I thought I'd order the trilogy (£10.74, bargain, ignoring how rubbish HDNL are, but I digress).

I don't want to give too much of the storyline away, but the translation from Swedish is faultless compared to some of the other books I've read that have been translated from their mother tongue, and the pace of the book is constant.

The majority of my reading time is in my breaks at work, which have been getting extended a little bit by wanting to read the next page rather than go back...

Books are subject, and whilst I don't like to follow the masses like a sheep, there's a pretty good reason why the books are selling so well.

Don't buy this book. Buy all three books.

Asics Men's Gel-1150 Running Shoe White/Black/Yellow T015N0190 9.5 UK
Asics Men's Gel-1150 Running Shoe White/Black/Yellow T015N0190 9.5 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not an improvement, 21 April 2010
I've had plenty of time to wear these in since getting them, and have clocked up enough mileage to loosen them up, but I can't help that feel that the Gel 1140's offered more padding and comfort.

Technically this is true, the 1150s do contain less gel than the previous model in the series and this is noticeable. If you can, I'd recommend getting a pair of them instead, but this is meant to be a review of these trainers and not a comparison.

So, as a stand alone set of running shoes, very reasonably priced, snazzy to the eye and they certainly feel very ruggedly built. Perhaps this design takes longer to wear in than the previous, so the ride does feel a bit hard.

Try the 1140s over these, but regardless, fit for purpose.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2010 11:05 PM BST

Hoya 58mm Close UP+4 Screw-in Filter
Hoya 58mm Close UP+4 Screw-in Filter

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 17 Feb. 2010
Reduces the minimum focusing distance significantly on my Canon 55-250mm lens, however once I go beyond about 130mm then it becomes next to impossible to focus. However, below this, very usable, just make sure you move the camera around as well as focusing, otherwise you'll never get a decent shot of anything.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2010 7:36 PM BST

Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Photo Backpack - Grey & Black
Tamrac 5547 Adventure 7 Photo Backpack - Grey & Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for carrying your gear around, 23 Sept. 2009
As other people have said, the upper space isn't too impressive, but then it is only intended for a few bits and pieces so this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Relatively easy to rearrange the bottom, if only because the Velcro appears to be super adhesive, which is all good :D

Frustrating that the waist strap cannot be removed, so I've opted for cutting it off to stop it getting in the way.

Another superb thing is that the back and the straps are well padded, so should you be blessed with a stupidly heavy lens then it won't matter.

Ultimately, very impressed and it's accompanied me on a few shoots where it's proved invaluable. Well recommended.